DVDVR Message Board

2015 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

Out with my Dad over the weekend and noticed the section for new not preowned Xbox 360 games is much smaller or no longer there. The games I own in spoiler tags for size:

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Batman: Arkham City

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

WWE ‘13

Lego Marvel Super Heroes

EA Sports MMA

Red Dead Redemption

UFC Undisputed 3

Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Tiger Woods PGA Tour ‘10

Assassins Creed II

Saints Row

Saints Row 2

Saints Row: The Third

Grand Theft Auto V

Which games would you recommend? I’d like to get a racing game to play for us and I this is likely scraping the barrel, best Spider-Man game to come out on the last gen consoles?

Out with my Dad over the weekend and noticed the section for new not preowned Xbox 360 games is much smaller or no longer there. The games I own in spoiler tags for size:

WWE ‘13

Lego Marvel Super Heroes

EA Sports MMA

Red Dead Redemption

UFC Undisputed 3

Tiger Woods PGA Tour ‘10

Assassins Creed II

Saints Row

Saints Row 2

Grand Theft Auto V

Which games would you recommend? I’d like to get a racing game to play for us and I this is likely scraping the barrel, best Spider-Man game to come out on the last gen consoles?

X-COM: Enemy Within

WWE ‘13

Lego Marvel Super Heroes

EA Sports MMA

Red Dead Redemption

UFC Undisputed 3

Tiger Woods PGA Tour ‘10

Assassins Creed II

Saints Row

Saints Row 2

Grand Theft Auto V

Bioshock & Bioshock Infinite.

Mass Effect Trilogy

Forza Horizon for a racing game, but I don't think it has split screen multiplayer.

I am blanking on a ton of other great options.

Since I have never ever tried using their Cloud but it always pops up for me - I am assuming one can just move saves to the Cloud

As long as you still have your 360, I would assume so. For the people who traded theirs in..... Sorry.

What I don't know is if you can pull the saves off the cloud onto your X-Box One or if they have to stay there. Because I remember the cloud storage for 360 saves not being very big.

As a fan of Westerns it’s great to see a gaming world like Red Dead Redemption built on them.

I'm with you here, and I'm still baffled there aren't more western video games. Literally every single western trope is also basically standard video game fare. They fit like a glove. Yet Red Dead is pretty close to the only highly successful example, like, ever.

WWE ‘13

Lego Marvel Super Heroes

EA Sports MMA

Red Dead Redemption

UFC Undisputed 3

Tiger Woods PGA Tour ‘10

Assassins Creed II

Saints Row

Saints Row 2

Grand Theft Auto V

X-COM: Enemy Within

Bioshock & Bioshock Infinite.

Mass Effect Trilogy

Forza Horizon for a racing game, but I don't think it has split screen multiplayer.

I am blanking on a ton of other great options.

Burnout Paradise DOES have split screen

And that is a fine fine racing game

Thanks for the gaming recomendations. Spilt screen multiplayer is a must so we can take it in turns. I like fighting, action adventure and shooting games. RPG's I tend to avoid. Heard Bioshock and Mass Effect in name only, know fuck all else.

As a fan of Westerns it’s great to see a gaming world like Red Dead Redemption built on them.

I'm with you here, and I'm still baffled there aren't more western video games. Literally every single western trope is also basically standard video game fare. They fit like a glove. Yet Red Dead is pretty close to the only highly successful example, like, ever.

We're in agreement!

They'll do current gen ping pong first

Am I the only one who loved that game?  It wasn't quite Virtua Tennis, but it was a super fun game. 

I always found Top Spin to be better than Virtua Tennis. I actually cannot wait for the first next-gen Tennis game. That's going to be gorgeous.

They'll do current gen ping pong first

Am I the only one who loved that game?  It wasn't quite Virtua Tennis, but it was a super fun game. 

I always found Top Spin to be better than Virtua Tennis. I actually cannot wait for the first next-gen Tennis game. That's going to be gorgeous.

I forgot all about Top Spin, why the fuck were there so many great tennis games then, but exactly zero now?

I forgot all about Top Spin, why the fuck were there so many great tennis games then, but exactly zero now?

Because in order for those games not to be shat on they now need to cost too much (in time and staff as well as money) to be worthwhile considering what they would make back. If you want a good retail tennis game on your television from an eighth gen console, you'd better get on your knees and pray Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash delivers. If you end up playing it try to be appreciative of the fact it exists despite never having a hope in hell of being profitable despite being the cheap to make kind.

Red Dead Redemption is starting to sound like the Deus Ex of the twenty first century - "It's the best game ever! *I really should get round to finishing it one day *Try to ignore that bit everyone agrees it's terrible." I'm not a fan but I will agree that the Western setting was great for the Rockstar sandbox formula in particular. Have never felt the newer GTAs matched up with using the same crime / law enforcement system that worked for the 2D entries. Western World is a big lawless ghetto where the sheriff and his desk aren't going to do shit and it makes sense that a superhuman marksman would work his way wherever he wanted and in whatever manner he choosed to.

The only real sticking point I see is that, for a company that makes a lot of money, Rockstar lie to their own fans a lot and/or fail at trying big things. See: RDR on PC, GTA IV Online being a complete fucking mess until after people had already quit, the GTA V heist release mess/marketing ploy gone awry/whatever it was, horrible control of online griefing, etc.

They are a massively successful company who do a lot of things right (in some ways better than anyone), but they also fuck up a lot too. Never count your chickens with them until they hatch.