DVDVR Message Board

2015 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

PAPER SORCERER

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=464295957

Story of the game is pretty simple. You are an evil sorcerer that some good king sent some heroes to trap inside a prison, this groovy magic book that you (and many other evils) have been trapped inside of. You go through the levels to try and escape. You get to pick from a variety of possible team mates as you go like a Witch, Vampire, Werewolf, Minotaur, Ghost, Troll, Imp etc. You pick what you want and build a classic 4-person party. You actually get (I think) 6 slots total.

Pros:

- As advertised, basically a love letter to the early wizardry games but you don't have to grind like 10 hours to get off floor 1, so, that's good.

- The graphic look rules. Basically the whole world looks like black and white ink drawings, but the dungeon is a 3-D world. It's cool, if minimalist.

- Honestly, the first old fashioned RPG I've actually played and been enjoying in a while

- Seems to be lots of different approaches with your party. Each character offers something different. I can see playing this more than once just to test out different combinations

- Has multiple difficulty levels, something a lot of RPG's don't offer

- Offers a windowed mode and control remaping, both of which I roll my eyes at any PC game I encounter without them.

Cons:

- This was done by (AFAIK) a one man programming team and I have hit a glitch in town twice that causes no menu options to pop up. Save often.

- Speaking of saves, when you reload them all doors on a level are shut as if you just arrived. Minor annoyance.

- One of the one-man-team oddities, the game has no volume controls at all. It is what it is. Some people have been (here's a shocker) very rude on the Steam forums about wanting to turn off the music. I really don't see the fuss.

- The heroic knights in the opening cutscene have weird helmets that kind of make them look like Klan members.

Overall: definite thumbs up if you enjoy old school RPG's. It's not really the most complex game, but it's also not a pricey one and it will definitely kill some time. I'm definitely enjoying it. There's nothing here that will redefine a genre or do anything you haven't seen before, but it does what it does well.

• Like 1

Halo: CE's local multiplayer definitely still holds up, but the re-use of levels multiple times makes the campaign feel bogged down. Guilty Spark 343 and the Library are the two most memorable levels from that game, IMO, and the latter is because it is textbook tedium on Legendary. 

On the other hand, Hang 'Em High is still the best medium-sized Halo multiplayer map. 

• Like 1

I bought a few games during the Steam sale, so why can't I stop playing FTL (which I've owned for over a year)? Finally starting to figure it out. Once I figured out that what I need to do is less hiring crew and more upgrading shields, thing started going way better. I'm still awful, but my runs are getting deeper and deeper.

This is the right sort of game to become addicted to.

Been playing Chip's Challenge for the first time this millennium ever since it dropped on Steam. I remember wanting the Lynx version and being vaguely disappointed in the Windows Entertainment Pack port because it didn't "look right" based on the screenies I'd seen of the original.  It's still infuriating yet somehow still fun (for me. Not sure I could recommend it to anyone else.)

I think enough of us play it at this point it's time to swap strategies. Or we could hijack Fresh's thread, since we all know he'll lose interest and move to something else soon anyway.

Hey, smarties - I was noticing last night that Forza offered a "season pass," where you get so many new cars a month, yadda, yadda, yadda.

This got me thinking: Do any combat-type games ever offer "season passes" or actual-cash-only-buyable special weapons that give players who spend additional money an advantage over players who just forked out for the game and that's it? Curious, 'cause that would totally suck to give people willing to spend the extra money an advantage over people who aren't.

Hey, smarties - I was noticing last night that Forza offered a "season pass," where you get so many new cars a month, yadda, yadda, yadda.

This got me thinking: Do any combat-type games ever offer "season passes" or actual-cash-only-buyable special weapons that give players who spend additional money an advantage over players who just forked out for the game and that's it? Curious, 'cause that would totally suck to give people willing to spend the extra money an advantage over people who aren't.

Many of them offer season passes, but that's just buying a bunch of individual DLC pieces in one lump sum (usually at a discount).

Yes.  Pay-to-win has existed in "freemium" games since they started.  The vast majority of games that follow the microtransaction model either do this, or are heading in that direction.  You'd be amazed how much people are willing to pay to be the top of the heap, and Game companies will allow them, because its money, so why not.  I don't fault the companies for doing it, they're out to make money.  Not to say what people should spend their money on, but being on the "non/low paying" end of a game that ended up being pay to win, it totally fucks the game experience for people that can't/won't pay for perks, especially when you get into a PvP type game environment.

I don't even mind it in games where it's theoretically possible to grind out the same items through actual play. Star Trek Online is the one I dumped a ton of time into it that did this with it's multiple currencies, where you could exchange "dilithium" for the actual paid currency and then get the same shit, just slower.

I actually, in many ways, prefer that to just the pure paid DLC model for multiplayer games especially. Games that are just pure pay-to-win are things I just avoid entirely.

I was thinking of PvP games, mostly, where player A might have a badass weapon player b doesn't have because he didn't fork over real cash for it (impossible to earn via in-game play.

Like in my beloved GTA, you can buy in-game money if you don't feel like earning it, but everything is buyable with earnable money.