DVDVR Message Board

2015 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

Okay - figured out how to pause a download. Thank fucking god.

As much as I love the X-Bone, the UI is not very easy to navigate. HOWEVER, it is getting a revamp soon after Windows 10 launches to make it close to that.

• Like 1

Somebody who plays PC games, help me out. I don't usually, but I'm looking at the Steam Link to play them on my TV. There's only a handful of games I'm interested in on PC, but one of them is Overwatch. Here's my question: do Blizzard games usually run through Steam? Or do they use their own thing?

Blizzard don't have any games on Steam that I know of.

That blows. I need to figure out if I can play Overwatch and SimCity (which is also not on Steam) over the Steam Link.

But it should work for Marvel Heroes at least.

Blizzard runs everything through their Battle.net launcher/store, and it requires starting Battle.net up first to run their current stuff (World of Warcraft, Starcraft II, Diablo III, Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm, and eventually Overwatch).  As an aside, Warcraft III, Starcraft, and Diablo I and II don't need Battle.net. 

Now, I know that you can add Blizzard's games into your Steam Library as a non-Steam Game, but they'll still fire up Battle.net first, but with the Steam Overlay there.  I'm not familar with Steam Link, so I don't know what it requires to run, it may just be the Overlay.

Yeah. I've run Starcraft II through Steam just to see what it does, and the overlay was there even with going through the Battle.net launcher first.  Not that it did much as there's no Steam Community support for Blizzard games, but yeah, I would imagine that if Steam Link needs the Overlay to function, you should be fine.

Haven't screwed with EA stuff through Steam, so I can't give an idea if the Overlay shows up on SimCity or not.

Tried to order the Steam Link & Controller from Gamestop to get free shipping and get PowerUp Reward Points. But the fucking order wouldn't go through! So I just got it straight from Valve. $15 more in shipping and no Reward points. Damnit. But it ships on October 16th, I'm excited to play around with it.

Poking around on Steam for really the first time ever, found out XCOM Enemy Within on PC has a mod called "The Long War" which adds 4 new soldier classes, but like 6 new MEC classes.... Long story short: I now own XCOM on both 360 and PC.

Hey, when I start my XCOM: The Long War play through after work tonight (in 2 hours) I decided to name my squad after DVDVR members. WHO WANTS TO BE IN? First come, first to get in the game. Don't know how many soldiers I'll end up having, so keep 'em coming.

I'll update you all how it goes and how you do!

Hey, when I start my XCOM: The Long War play through after work tonight (in 2 hours) I decided to name my squad after DVDVR members. WHO WANTS TO BE IN? First come, first to get in the game. Don't know how many soldiers I'll end up having, so keep 'em coming.

Jael Sigman reports in, sir!

• Like 1

Andrew_POE! reporting in.

So, I completed Mass Effect 1 and started on 2. Is it safe for me to go into the Mass Effect thread and read anything, or should I complete all 3 before I even think about doing that?

I had hoped that porting my character across would let me keep my equipment and powers. But all it did was let me start at level 2 instead of 1, with a few more credits and paragon points than I'd otherwise have. And some of the powers I had last time, I can't even get this time apparently.

So, I completed Mass Effect 1 and started on 2. Is it safe for me to go into the Mass Effect thread and read anything, or should I complete all 3 before I even think about doing that?

I had hoped that porting my character across would let me keep my equipment and powers. But all it did was let me start at level 2 instead of 1, with a few more credits and paragon points than I'd otherwise have. And some of the powers I had last time, I can't even get this time apparently.

Don't even dream of going in there until you finish 3. Besides, we want your rage to be fresh.

• Like 2

no. dont do it. from someone who did...DONT DO IT.

ME3 is cool for the multiplayer, and if you just like press that part of it to your eyes hard enough you wont get hurt by the rest of it.

Here are some games I've been playing!

DOOORS - Dooon't.

ZELDA: ORACLE OF SEASONS - Okay so if they end up trading in how dangerous zelda felt for just making it fucking weird all the time, that would have been a decent compromise. I've got magnet gloves, a horn that calls a kangaroo, I keep running into this witch, I took a demon princess on a date because she had keys to hell, it's all weird. I'm down for weird Zelda.

SNAKEBIRD - Snakebird has three things going for it. One: it's the most gigantically impenetrable puzzle game I've played in years and years. It's not a mystery why Jon Blow (Braid) has been losing his shit about this game. Second, it's adorable to the point of inflicting pain. If you have space for both of those things in your life, the third thing is its $7.

AGE OF WONDERS - Gog had a sale. I was being a smartass. The steam version of Age of Wonders flat doesn't work, so I was like "WELL WHAT IF THE GOG VERSION DOES HUH HUH WHAT THEN" and yo it totally does. it totally completely does.

YOU MUST BUILD A BOAT - More adorable puzzle games damnit! This one is the sequel to the almighty 10000000, a match three game about being trapped in a dungeon until you got 10000000 points. In this one, you have to...uh... build a boat. And then when you've built this boat you can either keep grinding for stuff or you can basically Prestige. So that's super weird. I've already prestiged once, and I'm on that playthrough, and it's still cool.

And then I broke down and bought ZELDA LINK BETWEEN WORLDS. I had to know. It has two good ideas, and then it does everything I hate about other zelda games. The good idea is the item rental thing, because if you eat shit in a dungeon, you can either stock up on what you need and make your way back in there, or get different equipment and try something else. That's good. I also really like the "press flat against the wall" thing, because that's still causing me to think about the spacial relations of the rooms in really novel ways two hours in. Then EVERYONE WONT SHUT UP, and there's health everywhere, and it doesn't let you fuck yourself over to gate off progress but instead just goes "hey champ you think about going over here everything's all cozy here." Handholdy. Never gonna be down. I'll still finish it though.

I was fine going in, but I focused on asking questions opposed to reading what was already there. The battle system changes each game though less-so between 2 & 3. Porting for extras matters more for 3. Its good to port anyways so you can continue to build off of your choices.