DVDVR Message Board

2015 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

I really liked Fallout 3, but Obsidian should be the only company developing Fallout games going forward. Damn the bugs; their games are always pure fun. They ate comfortably my favorite devs out there right now.

I finished Tomb Raider today

Fuck black wolves in the fucking pitch black.

I liked the little nod to the older games with the finish of the final "boss"

I might go back and grab a few more collectibles just because I am close to a few more achievements (like upgrading all the weapons).

• Like 1

X-Box One outsold the PS4 in April, which is surprising to me. Was there a price drop or bundle or big exclusive that I'm forgetting about?

Just cheaper deals and better console trade-in incentives. Also it's NPD, US only. Global is a different story. That Dell thing Craig posted is a deal. If there was an exclusive I wanted I'd jump on it. Depending on what e3 shows, if there's the same or similar deal going down then I might anyway. I don't care in the least about Halo but I want a new Gears game.

Fuck black wolves in the fucking pitch black.

Yeah, took a while for me to hit Survival Vision every so often to catch anything living coming near me.

I love Starcraft but I've never bought the second game.  So, Mr Up-to-Date bought Starcraft 2 and the first expansion to help me christen my new rig.  It's more Starcraft, which sounds like damning with faint praise, but like I said, I really love this series, so...

Don't neglect to buy the Merc contracts between missions.  You absolutly need them to pass a mission at some point.

And if you dare to venture into Multiplayer, there are actual tutorials and the vs. AI maps actually prep you properly.  I mean, they'll be a cap because there are just guys that are machines, but you can at least be competitive at your level, since it teaches you the proper orders and such.

I've seen some tournament play in SC2... I think that's scared me off multiplayer.  The terran campaigns are pretty cool so far, a lot more flavorful than the single player of the first game.  I love the research tech tree mechanic as well.  "Well, you can add health to your bunkers... or you can add MORE DAKKA."  I think we know what the answer to that one is!

Well, I ventured into Multiplayer, then learned that the Blizzard AI tutorials are, um, lacking when you actually get into a game.  So I watched some videos.  I can now win about 1 match in 10 or so.  

Singleplayer, don't neglect the armor tech.  There are a couple "Defend for X time" missions where some bigger armor helps.

Fuck Ready At Dawn for God of War: Chains of Olympus. Challenge #2 in Challenge of Hades is next to impossible. They need to fix the fire blades so they can get damaged from an attack while they are about to jump and attack. I won't be able to Platinum the game now due to that pos challenge.

EDIT: Not to mention that Hard mode is worst because of some enemies and their invincible attack frames. Ready At Dawn clearly doesn't know what the fuck they are doing.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH Y'ALL.
SAMURAI SHOWDOWN 2.

FUCK.

anyways, the semester is over, and I had a big emotional crash (I am dope at going through motions and clumsy at returning to non-motion behavior) so here's all the games I played in the last three days trying to find something to do. I will review all of them in five words.

SPLIT SECOND(PC)- No USB 360 controller support.

OUTRUN 2006 COAST TO COAST (PC)- Has USB 360 controller support. o_O

PICROSS 3D- Sequel announcement would be amazing

GUACAMELEE- "Disgust" doesn't feel strong enough.

THE UNFINISHED SWAN- Could do without the story.

FIRE PRO WRESTLING RETURNS- Or, "Creative Endeavor Simulator 2007"

ODDWORLD NEW AND TASTY- I like Abe's Exodus more.

NUCLEAR THRONE- Increasingly sure of it's perfection

THREES- Finally understand what I'm doing

SHINING FORCE CD- Will finish, but might cry*

POKEMON RUMBLE WORLD- Officially scared of Nintendo Apps

DIRT RALLY- Fast, dangerous, and fucking hard.

Also I decided I'm making a game? Which will probably be the last you hear about it for a few years since I want to do it myself. But I have too good of an idea, and I'm anticipating getting laid up for knee surgery this fall, so, time to learn a new skill.

*shining force was a game my dad loved the hell out of, and these are more shining force games, so that will be a weird experience

Guacamelee is fucking great. Do you not like Super Metroid? It was like Super Metroid with luchadores, which honestly, I don't know how that's possible NOT to like.

I live in San Diego. I live about thirty minutes away from the border. I have a lot of fondness for Mexican culture because it's the most human-seeming part of San Diego, especially considering how goddamn terrible the money districts of this city are. Guacamelee is every time I've asked someone if they like lucha libre in a casual conversation, and they've said "Oh yeah I love lucha libre, did you see the one where Santo fights the Vampire Women." But now in Video Game Form! Neat! I was done when they named the player 2 character "tostada." I'm good. I've got so much other stuff to do.

But they got the art right, though, like the Chac Mools and the Olmecs. There was obviously care there. Yeah, they were riffing on some of that Anglicized concept of Mexican culture, but they were authentic in ways that show that they respect Mexican culture and history. They went out of their way to staff Mexican artists for this reason, IIRC. 

As someone who lived in San Antonio and Phoenix and who loves San Diego and visits fairly often, I didn't have that same experience, but I do suppose that I can understand your POV to some degree.

The gameplay is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good, though. I guess at least since Metroidvanias are popular, you aren't missing out as badly as if it were a high-level shmup or 3D platformer or something else in a genre that doesn't get made often. 

Who doesn't like Guacamelee??? I'm really questioning your taste in games, brother...

I don't. The controls are terrible. The game manages to coast for a long time on style and presentation.

I don't get that criticism at all and wonder if we played the same game. Different strokes, I guess. 

• Like 1

Quick question about Guacamelee. Had decent hopes for it despite the word metroidvania having a personal definition of 'Remember Super Metroid? Well now you do because we mentioned it in the genre name, and this isn't as good. Sorry.' and was wondering if the Super Turbo edition was worth spending extra pennies for.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH Y'ALL.
SAMURAI SHOWDOWN 2.

FUCK.

I'll draw attention to the spelling being Shodown out of respect for the ambition of expecting an American mid-nineties arcade crowd to understand a pun so obscure it took me a while today just to google to make sure my memory wasn't making it up. Was never going to contend with 'SNK game features English typo' as a credible explanation. The SamSho series hasn't clicked with me at all outside of presentation despite earnest 'I paid good money for this' effort. Little such trouble with Last Blade which seemed almost like a reboot. The deflection button in conjunction with those slow startup swings adds the kind of caginess I felt was missing from my SamSho experiences.

I too am waiting on Picross 3D 2, and could I push you for a couple of extra words on Outrun 2006 Coast to Coast? I have a PS2 copy on my shelf and my high expectations are one of the reasons I haven't touched it yet..