DVDVR Message Board

2015 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

I'll bet Chip Kelly is one of those dudes who puts on a new song every 30 seconds while driving. 

Guy can do whatever he wants with the full knowledge that, if he screws up in Philadelphia, he can walk on to any college campus in America and name his price.

How trashed is C.J. Spiller and what's the cheapest he can be had for? At the right price, the Cowboys should sign him and then aim for Gurley in the draft. I don't mind Murray taking the money and running. I certainly don't begrudge him for snatching his one big payday. But more than anything I don't really see how Murray is that special back who is going to keep running well after hitting that 450 carry wall that effectively splatted the careers of Jamal Anderson, Shaun Alexander and Larry Johnson.

Gurley's knees terrify me, personally. If I'm wanting a bigger back, David Johnson from Northern Iowa is who I'd look at in the 2nd/3rd rounds.

How trashed is C.J. Spiller and what's the cheapest he can be had for? At the right price, the Cowboys should sign him and then aim for Gurley in the draft. I don't mind Murray taking the money and running. I certainly don't begrudge him for snatching his one big payday. But more than anything I don't really see how Murray is that special back who is going to keep running well after hitting that 450 carry wall that effectively splatted the careers of Jamal Anderson, Shaun Alexander and Larry Johnson.

That's the thing, he had his one full healthy season and it was behind one of if not the best offensive line in football. Luckily for him it came in a contract year. I don't know that Spiller really fits what the Cowboys need. I'd rather see them just stick with what they have and draft a guy.

Chip is a fucking scumbag for bringing Matthews to the NovaCare Complex after an agreement then changing off to sign Murray.

Maybe he was just taking him to the Novacare complex for his standard every 8 months injury/recovery appointment.   Those cancellation fees are pricey  

Chip is a fucking scumbag for bringing Matthews to the NovaCare Complex after an agreement then changing off to sign Murray.

Maybe he was just taking him to the Novacare complex for his standard every 8 months injury/recovery appointment.   Those cancellation fees are pricey  

Well, with signing Matthews, I have to take back my comments on Chip.

Although I don't have  clue what to do with 4 RB's.

Apparently the Eagles worked out Hundley, but then I didn't believe Chip's "Bradford is our guy" BS for a second anyway...

I guess it's up to each Eagles fan to decide which is the lesser evil...Andy Reid's tight-lipped devotion to secrecy, or Chip Kelly's "lie your ass off" approach...

Maybe he was just taking him to the Novacare complex for his standard every 8 months injury/recovery appointment. Those cancellation fees are pricey

Well, with signing Matthews, I have to take back my comments on Chip.

Although I don't have clue what to do with 4 RB's.

Ask Sean Payton. Nawlins did it for a few years.

How trashed is C.J. Spiller and what's the cheapest he can be had for? At the right price, the Cowboys should sign him and then aim for Gurley in the draft. I don't mind Murray taking the money and running. I certainly don't begrudge him for snatching his one big payday. But more than anything I don't really see how Murray is that special back who is going to keep running well after hitting that 450 carry wall that effectively splatted the careers of Jamal Anderson, Shaun Alexander and Larry Johnson.

Gurley's knees terrify me, personally. If I'm wanting a bigger back, David Johnson from Northern Iowa is who I'd look at in the 2nd/3rd rounds.

Correct me if I’m wrong but it certainly seems like ACL’s are no longer the death knell they used to be for a young running back’s career. Just off the top of my head, in the past decade Willis McGahee had a very long effective career and Frank Gore is still in the midst of being a productive reliable back well into his 30’s. Sure, you get plenty of guys whose careers do get derailed but some guys are just manufactured out of glass.

It’s not just guys at the start of their careers either. I believe Peterson was only two seasons removed from blowing his knee out when he threatened the single season rushing record.  Now to be certain drafting SEC stud running backs isn’t idiot proof nor is the SEC brand immune to squirting out busts; McFadden and Richardson prove that.  Even Mark Ingram took his sweet ass time panning out as a pro. Still though I’ll gladly roll with Gurley whenever it would be during his rookie season that he was fully recovered.  And I mostly believe in draft commandments like finding your running back in the middle rounds and with the Cowboys’ line they can do just that. It’s just that Gurley’s blend of speed, agility and power is enough to make you say crazy shit like: Earl Campbell.

How trashed is C.J. Spiller and what's the cheapest he can be had for? At the right price, the Cowboys should sign him and then aim for Gurley in the draft. I don't mind Murray taking the money and running. I certainly don't begrudge him for snatching his one big payday. But more than anything I don't really see how Murray is that special back who is going to keep running well after hitting that 450 carry wall that effectively splatted the careers of Jamal Anderson, Shaun Alexander and Larry Johnson.

That's the thing, he had his one full healthy season and it was behind one of if not the best offensive line in football. Luckily for him it came in a contract year. I don't know that Spiller really fits what the Cowboys need. I'd rather see them just stick with what they have and draft a guy.

As for CJ, if you want a guy to make a 60 yd play, then miss the rest of the month with an injury, he's your guy. I'm exaggerating, but not by much. . . 

So he’s basically Felix Jones in his prime? Yeah, I suspected as much. However, not even that is totally accurate.  That’s because by the time Felix’s carries actually doubled he had barely any explosive runs. So no way in hell was this guy ever handling a starter’s workload and remaining effective. At least Spiller maintained his explosive runs when he was given a decent amount of carries; which means Felix Jones was barely a poor man’s C.J. Spiller. Oh, Jerry, how could you? And forget Chris Johnson; you could’ve easily had Jamaal Charles in the 3rd Round that draft, you dolt.

The final word on Murray is that if you run him into the ground he's only got one more of those workhorse years in him. On the other hand, if you have to conserve him to get him to last and be effective over the life of his contract it doesn't make as much sense to be paying him that juicy lead back cash. It's mercenary but you have to move on to the next young back and only have to pay him his rookie contract. Unless they had all this extra money to burn which they didn't. Jerry's finally learning from the bad contracts he gave to the likes of Marion Barbarian instead of being a sentimental old coot and paying guys for their best production after the fact. If you're breaking the bank for a guy it should be somebody who has 3-5 seasons left of prime production. The old ghoul is learning finally.

Jordan Cameron signs with the Dolphins.

Like this pickup a lot. He was able to find open space on a team with no WRs and he's a good red zone target.

And they're looking to keep Charles Clay.  Cause, hey, the 2 TE thing has kind of worked in New England.  

I'm liking this off-season a lot. 

Correct me if I’m wrong but it certainly seems like ACL’s are no longer the death knell they used to be for a young running back’s career. Just off the top of my head, in the past decade Willis McGahee had a very long effective career and Frank Gore is still in the midst of being a productive reliable back well into his 30’s. Sure, you get plenty of guys whose careers do get derailed but some guys are just manufactured out of glass.

Maybe it is only members of the U who can heal properly...

• Like 1