DVDVR Message Board

NOV WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Bruce Mitchell called it the "era of the midcarder", with one guy that can sell merch, house shows, and give a big time feel to matches. The rest of these guys couldn't get to that level with ten hours of TV devoted to them. Niners is right, don't blame the McMahons/HHH, the Austins and Rocks of the world got to that level by connecting with the audience and being heavily involved in the way they were presented. I don't see anyone like that right now.

Jarrett in Memphis and World Class was basically a better Sting.

Better than Sting at that time in his career?   Not sure I get this one, as Sting was a freakishly athletic heavyweight, Jarrett was more a Memphis/American Lt.Heavyweight of the time hybrid to me.

• Like 1

I know you have a hard on for the Attitude Era, but the idea that no one on this roster can get over is fucking ludicrous.

So angry over a post on a wrestling board.

I think for the most part the Attitude era was average. The NWO was a group of 40-50 year old men throwing around gang signs, and DX was never funny. That being said, besides Cena, none of these guys are stars nor would be missed if they left. They are interchangeable CAWs with bad tattoos and promos. Ratings and house show numbers would agree (in addition to the network subscribers).

Well Jarrett could have better matches on his own. Sting in the late 80's up to 91, needed someone to build the match. 

Jarrett is hard to watch in that era, when you find out how much his daddy was protecting him. To the point he would not trust anybody else to book. 

I know you have a hard on for the Attitude Era, but the idea that no one on this roster can get over is fucking ludicrous.

I think for the most part the Attitude era was average. The NWO was a group of 40-50 year old men throwing around gang signs, and DX was never funny. That being said, besides Cena, none of these guys are stars nor would be missed if they left. They are interchangeable CAWs with bad tattoos and promos. Ratings and house show numbers would agree (in addition to the network subscribers).

I don't suppose your favorite era of wrestling was the 1980s, was it?

Jesse Sorensen was on the B.S. Wrestling Report last night to talk about his career. Sorensen mentioned his retirement and said it was due to injuries and getting promoted in his real-world job and being able to make decent money there. He wouldn't rule out a return at some point.

Jesse feels that Dixie Carter "worked him." She promised to pay his medical bills and said that he'd always have a job after his neck injury. They fell out when his medical bills weren't paid, and he told her and management he was intending to sue the company. Right after that he was offered the production job and he admitted, "being young and stupid," he took it. By the time he was released, the time he could sue had expired. He said that he's learned in wrestling that you can't trust anyone. He did say that things are better now between him and Dixie, and they text each other sometimes.

He said that he did learn a lot while working in production and people don't realize how hard those guys work.

He mentions that when he was wrestling, TNA made it difficult for him to get indie dates because they charged too much money. Also, even if you did find an indie promoter willing to pay all that, by the time TNA took their cut you were essentially wrestling for peanuts.

He doubts TNA will ever go broke because of Panda Energy.

He says life on the road is tough money-wise for lower card TNA and WWE guys. He mentioned meeting Paul London when he was a WWE tag champion and assuming London was rich, only for him to say that because of all the road and food expenses, he really wasn't. He said in TNA you regularly had 4 or 5 guys splitting a $30 a night hotel room.

Sorensen said his new job covers road expenses, which is a nice change from the wrestling business. Checks being regularly late was a big problem in TNA. He mentions when he was working in production, he would go to get guys ready for an interview and they'd tell him that they weren't doing it unless their paycheck came.

from wrestlinginc

But we should totally be rooting for this company to survive, btw.

Seriously, though, the Sorensen thing is a great lesson in general for people, not just wrestlers.

Never ever trust someone if they start getting pissy about paying your medical bills for injuries occurred while working for them. Sorensen clearly bought the "We're a family" line but never stopped to ask why, if they were such a family, they wouldn't cover them.

Lawyers get a bad rap, but they exist for a reason.

I think Eric Young might be too old, he's about to turn 35 and if he still has his Animal Planet programming I doubt they'd let him continue that. A year or so ago I would've said Magnus is a lock to get scooped up by WWE but lately he's seemed to get that TNA stink on him. I could maybe see them consider bringing Bram back. In an ideal world they'd snag Havok if only to give me her vs the girls in NXT. I'd love to see her vs Becky Lynch and especially vs Bayley as a modern day Diva version of Vader/Sting.

I don't suppose your favorite era of wrestling was the 1980s, was it?

Good luck with your war against actual great wrestling. You ever post under the name Marty Too Hotty?

Eric Young in the Santino/Sandow spot.

I could see Spud in that spot as well.

I think Ausin Aries would deserve a real shot as well. Wasn't his only shot when he was declared to small for Tough Enough?

I'd give him a chance based on the fact that he's small. He could either be:

1. A plucky underdog babyface who hangs with the big boys (kinda like Daniel Bryan, possibly too much like Daniel Bryan, though).

2. A heel (which he's shown great charisma for) who somehow wins a bunch despite being smaller than his foes - he's not as big, so he has to be cerebral and conniving.

And as for people in the attitude era being way over, it's because Austin and the Rock were so damn charismatic. They've got to find a way to let someone become charismatic. If they don't fuck up Ambrose, they've got something huge (not as big as Austin and the Rock though), and Rollins is damn good at being a heel. Brock has his own charisma and Heyman talking for him. Otherwise, they've got problems. The guy they're slotting into the babyface-wins-main-event-at-Wrestlemania slot needs a personality transplant. 

Austin and the Rock got the opportunity to shine and they shone. Very few younger faces in the current WWE are given the opportunity to shine. Some have been given the opportunity and failed, and probably need to be replaced with someone new with a fresh chance to shine.

IN MY OPINION, I don't think Bray Wyatt's gonna connect and be a main eventer. The whole cell phone thing and the singing is just classic "hey, let's participate in a group activity" thing. He's a good promo, but he's just kinda there. And God, someone please tell me why anyone gets freaked out when he does that reverse crab walk thing. Just kick him in the freakin' face already.

• Like 1