DVDVR Message Board

NXT SEASON 8 THREAD

RIPPA

We start with BARON CORBIN. I'm starting to see OSJ's side of the argument quite a bit. That dude just DRIPS of charisma and the like when he enters the ring. The crowd is buying into it, too. I love that he hit The End of Days in about 15 seconds. It's so short. I really hope he gets some time to develop because he could be something special. At the very least, he has that awesome move. He hits End of Days SO fluently. It looks like he's installing parts at a construction site and not moving a large human being -- complete with limbs and resistance and etc. -- like that. So impressive.

SAMI comes out next. Was this the first few minutes of a new taping? Because he's getting a Bryan-esque entrance. He's the people's champion and he has this love because he hasn't become the champion. In fact, he lost to Titus O'Neil. I (probably rightfully) take crap from people on here because I make optimistic points about liking wrestling. I get that. But this is a reason why I love NXT -- absolutely no one was cynical about Sami losing to Titus last week. But if that happened on Raw or Smackdown or maybe even Main Event? There would be three or four pages about how Sami's being buried and all sorts of NEWZ~ about how "Vince doesn't get him" or whatever. But things are allowed to happen in NXT. Sami lost, and people like him even MORE for it. I think my idea of wrestling fandom is less optimism and more NXT. I love NXT and still look at Raw and the PPVs with that type of attitude. Maybe the more irritating THIS SUCKS VINCE AND WRITERS MUST DIE DIE DIE types to Full Sail to learn how to just enjoy wrestling once again.

Anyways, Sami hates losing. And it's making him angry. And he needs to refocus on the one thing he really wants -- and that's to become NXT champion. And out comes TYSON KIDD wearing Sami's shirt! I love when he calls the jeering NXT audience "my people." That is so awesome. I also like his "siiiiiickk burn" and his dumb comeback. Sami makes a great face of a little bit of self doubt hidden with a bit of his confidence. "Why would Tyler Breeze have Nattie's phone number?" That's awesome. I also love Tyson needing to check on his cats.

Tyson Kidd has had the greatest career reinvention of all-time. He went from being a total snooze into one of the great heels going right now. I didn't watch too much WWECW but do remember Christian's role in that. That's a really great comparison. I sort of think Tyson Kidd is the best possible Justin Credible in ECW.

TEAM THICK is the grossest team name ever. I actually sort of love it if they let the members of Team Thick just do some Bodyuilder.Com message board photo shoots. That friggin' catch/running suplex thing Murphy did was absolutely insane. And it was Sin Cara and not the dude who weighs less than I did in middle school.They have a fun finishing sequence here with an awesome finish I haven't seen before with that Victory Bomb or whatever they're calling it. This was a ridiculously fun sprint. I hope Team Thick continues.

That's awesome they're selling Breeze making Mojo go down with a submission injury as much as they are. MOJO is doing an eh "I'll be back!" promo and won't forget who did this to him. He's coming back with a rage. Hopefully they retool him and figure out how to make him work. I really would have liked to see him as a Varsity Club-era Rick Steiner type -- simple-minded but good wrestler swayed by some heel until he figured out what was right and was wrong.

BECKY LYNCH comes down. I really wish she's come down to "Teenage Kicks" by The Undertones to cement the Irish punk rock chick credential (I'm going to ignore Alex Riley talking about punk rock). And here's CHARLOTTE who just looks absolutely perfect right now. She's not a face or a heel. She's the best, and she knows it, and does not care if you like her or not.  I love Renee talking about how Charlotte's "growing up." Charlotte really stole a great backpedal "WOOOAAAH" from her old man to lure Becky into a backdrop. Charlotte's Figure Four Headlock and all the fun stuff she does with it -- these headbutts this time -- is an amazing move. It's a great throwback to her father but also her own weapon that no one else does at all.  Charlotte's facial expressions in this are awesome and selling the pain/frustration/stress of having to put this feisty newcomer away. She finally gets an opening after her neckbreaker and hits Natural Selection. Screw that -- Natural Selection is an awesome move. I love how Charlotte just always looks for it. Really fun match.

ENZO and BIG CASS. Has anyone called these guys the new FBI yet? Is that to easy a comp? I refuse to compare them to The New Age Outlaws due to my hatred of that duo. THE LEGIONNAIRES Girigo Moroder 70s disco rip-off music is awesome. HAHAHA! Cass/Enzo did "Rock Paper Scissors" to see who started the match and Cass LOST and had to start! I also sorta love they got the Marcus Louis wig joke out of the way early to set up the turn on LaFort! The OUI OUI OUI chant is great!

I love how Cass and Enzo start calling out "BLUE PANTS!" This is the best introduction ever... until CARMELLA comes out to something that sounds exactly like you'd hear on Z100 (New York's Top 40 station) booming outside of a Staten Island strip mall. This is quick and perfect and that headscissors tap-out was also pretty fun. This act just got even better.

BECKY LYNCH confronts SASHA BANKS in the mirror. And Sasha explains to Becky about why she's a loser -- it's a callback to when Summer Rae created The BFFs by swaying Sasha into heeldom.

ADRIAN NEVILLE has become credible as an interview. He'll never be great, but he's very good as the confident champion.

This Sami/Kidd match was predictably great. These guys are both aces and a joy to watch their feud develop over the past year. The best part about it is that Sami has changed, too. He knows he has to refocus to meet his goals, and beating a guy who has been a nemesis for the past year of his life is the best way to start.

A+ episode.

• Like 1

That blatant "Fancy" rip-off.

Glad I wasn't the only one who caught that. That was DDP-Smells Like Teen Spirit levels of shameless.

Also Tyson saying "Why would Tyler Breeze have Nattie's phone number" was a HHH-quality burn. Made Sami look like a dope, but damn it was hilarious.

• Like 1

I was DYING at the Let's Go Blue Pants chant. I want to say those two need to be on Raw yesterday but they're too much fun as medium fish where they are.

And RE Corbin: It may have been said already but the template they're working from isn't Goldberg It's Magnum TA hitting belly to bellys 30 seconds in on WTBS.

• Like 3

That blatant "Fancy" rip-off.

Glad I wasn't the only one who caught that. That was DDP-Smells Like Teen Spirit levels of shameless.

Also Tyson saying "Why would Tyler Breeze have Nattie's phone number" was a HHH-quality burn. Made Sami look like a dope, but damn it was hilarious.

it made Tyson look like a guy who doesnt know his own wife's phone number, actually

NXT Take Over: Sami vs. Tyler Breeze rocked the crowd and could have been match of the night if not for the mess up on the Orange Crush nearfall. Charlotte vs. Nattie was really good I think I'm in the minority but I think Paige vs. Emma from the 1st two hour special is a better match. Neville vs. Tyson was a great main event and the best match of the show because of the botch in Sami vs. Breeze.

Overall with those 3 matches you can match a case that this is the Best of the 3 Live NXT specials they had produced.

Yeah, Poor Itami needs Finn Balor to show up soon and save him from this rut he's already in with the crowd. 

I like Blake and Murphy, actually. Whichever one was getting his arm destroyed by English and Gotch was doing some pretty good shrieks of pain. I wonder if the neckbreaker combo is just an additional finish for the Villains, or if they're replacing the old one since they see the Senton Bomb as a maneuver that will keep them getting face cheers (which I think they will anyway because the gimmick is too charming to boo).

Sasha's rope-to-rope slap was awesome. She is such a good heel with the cheap shots, shit-talking, and general cowardice. The match with Bayley was good, and man, did that Becky Lynch turn get a pop. Anyway, I look forward to Sasha Banks, NXT Women's Champion, and you should too.

Tyler Breeze gave way too much offense to CJ Parker. I'd get if Parker got control once Mojo came out as a distraction, but Parker was killing him for most of that first part of that match.

I typically find Neville to be technically proficient at his craft without being very interesting, but this was a good clash of styles as Titus played the slow, but dangerous bruiser role perfectly for Neville to alternately outwit/be caught and destroyed by. Good bumping from Neville in this match, and I also liked his ragdoll selling of the bearhug. The end of the match seemed kind of abrupt, though. Still, this was one of the better Neville matches I've seen. 

Titus worked this match like he was a seven foot monster, and it ruled! And then he was somehow dazed by the same lift up kick out of the corner that maybe set up a Bret-style elbow 20 years ago. They should've done that first, then that sweet jumping high kick to set up the finish. Ah well.

I think he means the utterly deflated reaction they had when he did literally nothing but get his ass kicked again.  After reading the bit about him in the Observer, and watching the last few weeks, my hopes for KENTA have fallen face first.

From reading the spoilers on the NXT Takeover main event on 12/11, it sounds like a can't lose situation coming up for Sami Zayn.  Either he finally wins that title and becomes the leader of the company or he is finally heading to the main roster.  Assuming that the career stip is for NXT only  

I think he means the utterly deflated reaction they had when he did literally nothing but get his ass kicked again.  After reading the bit about him in the Observer, and watching the last few weeks, my hopes for KENTA have fallen face first.

What did they say about him in the Observer?

No Steen yet as of last night's taping, but he was supposedly on the promotional material for the next live special so I could see them saving him for that.

Live special has Neville-Zayn (title vs. career), Lucha Dragons-Vaudevillains, Charlotte-Sasha, and Itami/Balor vs. Ascension. They also teased Baron Corbin vs. Bull Dempsey.

What did they say about him in the Observer?

Basically mentioning how he is trying to totally change his style, and his stuff is coming off pretty badly as a result.  He's trying to be "lighter" and more WWE like and it's not coming off well.