DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2014: JULY

Dolfan in NYC

Very interested to see what the Guardians do now with Peavy getting moved and Price seemingly off the market. Danks? Colon? Kennedy? I don't think they'd want to pick up the contract for Lee or Hamels, and Colorado is apparently being a bunch of stiffs with de la Rosa. Not much rotation help out there.

Dodgers trade for Darwin Bailey because... well who the fuck knows

Darwin Bailey played 45 games for the Ottawa Nationals in 1947. He hit .186.

In other words, he'd be a perfect catcher for the Tigers.

Dodgers trade for Darwin Bailey because... well who the fuck knows

Darwin Bailey played 45 games for the Ottawa Nationals in 1947. He hit .186.

I told you I was old.

Fucking autocorrect

So I don't know what the hell's going on but since the Red Sox beat the Blue Jays 14-1 last week, the Jays have beaten them 7-3, 6-4, 8-0, and now are leading 13-0 in the sixth. Baseball is weird.

Also this sixth is the best inning of baseball ever.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/trader-jack-as-seattle-s-gm-struggles-to-complete-deals-some-rival-executives-wonder-072814

I'm far from Z's biggest fan (and would fully support him being shown the door in the offseason) but this article reads to me like a bunch of GMs who are mad that Jack won't trade them Taijuan Walker for a 34 year old that's hitting .250

I'm gonna guess a lot of his trade talks go like this:

Z: Hey I hear you guys are thinking of moving Ben Zobrist. Let's talk about that.

Rays: Sure Jack. We're looking to get a couple of young, cost controlled guys for him.

Z: Well we have a lot of good young prospects in our system...

Rays: How about Taijuan Walker and Brad Miller?

Z: Well that's a little steep for just Zobrist.

Rays (to media): JACK Z IS IMPOSSIBLE TO DEAL WITH!

That's not how I read it at all, considering the Mariners have Walker and...well, Walker as their top prospects. Putting together a shit sandwich of Smoak, Montero, Ackley, Franklin without even discussing Walker just seems like a typical shit GM move of trying to trade five nickels for a dollar. Also, here's clearly a liar considering after the Cano signing, he kept ranting about budget...and now the president comes out and says they still have plenty of budget. Right. 

Chris Archer comes off bad in that dispute - he's upset nobody takes a shot at Ortiz but...he had a chance and didn't do it. 

If it's me, Ortiz would have eaten an Armando Benitez vs Tino Martinez special after that.

• Like 1

Baseball players need to realize whenever they talk about "unwritten rules", they come across like those dudes who go to bars and pick fights but when someone actually wants to fight, they repeatedly yell for their friends to hold them back.

So I've been watching baseball for thirty odd years and I learned a new term last night. Vance Worley - it's okay if you say "Who?" - threw a complete game gem for the Pirates against San Fran. On Twitter, I noticed all these Bucs fans wondering whether he could pull off some thing called "the Maddux." I've since come to learn it means "complete game shutout done in 99 pitches or less."

Not as cool sounding as "Golden Sombrero" but definitely my new favorite baseball term.