DVDVR Message Board

Money in the Bank V

Dolfan in NYC

Does anyone else feel a bit like the WWE have written themselves in to a corner? Clearly they want Cena vs Brock with the title on the line for Summerslam, but I don't buy the Authority not cashing in immediately. HHH as a character, even though he was the Cerebral Assassin, was never portrayed as a guy who would sit back and wait for a chance to arrive. He would create his own chance. I don't really buy him preaching patience to Rollins while someone he can't control has the belt, but that's seemingly the direction they are headed.

I'm glad I've seen a couple people mention it already, but RVD did an excellent job of really keeping the first MitB match held together. He gets a lot of hate on this board, but he was an important part of a good match and that deserves mention. Good on him.

I liked the Rusev/Big E match, but it was amazing to me the difference between the two characters. Rusev is an obvious wrestling trope, but he is a defined character with an established history and motivation for winning. At least on the main roster, Big E is a large man who power lifts and loves America all of a sudden. That's it. The audience has no reason to care about him because they've been given no grounds to understand his character. It's not like an American-hating ex-Bulgarian Russian national obsessed with earning accolades for his adopted homeland is a complicated character sketch, but it's something simple and direct people can understand. It's frustrating how terrible WWE can be at the simplest aspects of storytelling.

Dean Ambrose already did the shoulder pop-in gimmick in the Bray Smackdown match nobody watched. 

• Like 1

Does anyone else feel a bit like the WWE have written themselves in to a corner? Clearly they want Cena vs Brock with the title on the line for Summerslam, but I don't buy the Authority not cashing in immediately. HHH as a character, even though he was the Cerebral Assassin, was never portrayed as a guy who would sit back and wait for a chance to arrive. He would create his own chance. I don't really buy him preaching patience to Rollins while someone he can't control has the belt, but that's seemingly the direction they are headed.

I see what your saying but wouldn't Rollins responce simple be Dad look I see what you mean but as long as Deans out there in the weeds if I cash in he will crash the match and where back to square one...so let me take him out of the picture at battlegrounds.

Coming out of the ppv all i could think about is how badly I want Kane to retire. No matter how little reaction he gets. No matter how little the fans want to see him do anything, he has still been a focal point over the past almost three months now. 

Out of every booking scenario available, how is Kane interfering in the the brief case match what gets the ok? It didn't get heat, it got groans.

Reigns is slowly getting Sheamused. Nowadays, pushes need to at least have the feel of being organic. Reigns feels calculated and it's not your imagination that he wasn't getting near the reactions of Ambrose/Rollins. Once the fans decide you've been overpushed you land in Sheamusville and it's really difficult to leave. 

I didn't have a problem with Cena winning. It makes a lot of sense. The title match was underwhelming but there was no way they were going to follow up the brief case match. You can't put that on the performers. Some genius decided to put all of the youngish, high flying, risk-taking perfomers in the first match  

They really should have let Rollins win on his own. Sure, send Kane out there for insurance.. but I would rather that fail and then Rollins win anyway. The match was very good but the ending was so ugh..

I'm not looking forward to another Cena/Kane program either. The last one a few years back was drizzling shit and I don't see any reason why this would be better.

This fucking company sometimes.

I knew there were rumors out there this would happen, but I didn't think they would actually go through with it.

Ugh. Why do I never learn my lesson?

• Like 1

My only concern is what gimmick is Cena-Kane going to be under? I do not think I could stomach another Buried Alive match without complaining wildly on here. Shame HIAC is only in October, Kane vs Cena Hell in a Cell circa 2005-2006 would have been a bloody good time at least.

Only got back in time to see the title match. I still think it would've been awesome if they'd made it a gold briefcase the winner opened at the end like Vincent Vega.  

Will watch the rest tonight, but until then...

5df.gif

My only concern is what gimmick is Cena-Kane going to be under? I do not think I could stomach another Buried Alive match without complaining wildly on here. Shame HIAC is only in October, Kane vs Cena Hell in a Cell circa 2005-2006 would have been a bloody good time at least.

Not really. Kane was working hurt at the time and Cena wasn't nearly as good as he is now.

I kind of hope they go with a semi-fresh pairing for Battleground and do Cena vs. Cesaro.

• Like 1

I like Jimmy and Jey, but put the tag belts on Rowan and Harper already.  With convincing clean wins over The Wyatts and Rybaxel, what do you do next with the Usos?  There are precious few worlds left to conquer in the rapidly dwindling tag-team universe.

I like the decision to protect Ambrose and still manage to book Rollins strong, but I think there was a better way to do it than a Kane run-in.

I would have totally put the belt on either Bray Wyatt or Cesaro in the main event.  Probably Cesaro to set up a Heyman Camp disseention angle between Cesaro and Lesnar.

• Like 1

Agreed on Kane retiring. I've always enjoyed the guy, but it's time to move him backstage, or let him move on to his new career of being Ron Paul or whatever. You could still have a cool wrestler in the Kane slot doing this exact angle and have it be a lot more interesting: 

• The Authority makes an alliance with the Wyatts and Bray lends Luke Harper to Triple H. Harper being in that MITB main would have been pretty rad, just throwing dudes around and helping Bray and Orton. 
  • The Authority signs an agreement with Vladimir Putin and Rusev starts showing up as their equalizer. He could have kicked a lot of people in a lot of faces. Give him an Authority rewarded IC run.

And because HHH is the Game or something.   If Orton cannot get the job done, you always have Rollins waiting in the wings with a guaranteed title shot to bring the title back to home to The Authority.

Time for my semi-rant.

Maybe it is just be getting older and understanding the value of the human body. I cringe whenever I see these ladder matches. Maybe over the last year or so, I went back and watched those initial Hardyz/Edge & CHristian Ladder matches and seeing what these dudes put their bodies through for the sake of some claps bothers me.

Why do these dudes have to do all of that to entertain us? They are no stunt devils but they are being asked to be when these ladder matches happen. Seeing Seth Rollins take that back bump and seeing Orton get his head cracked open made me shake my head.

I just wish we didn't need all of these props to put on a wrestling match. It bothers me and everytime someone did a spot, I was legit worried that someone would get hurt. And that Sheamus/Del Rio/Reigns spot with the ladders being tilted made me just ask WHY.

As I said, it just might be me getting older but I am not a fan of these matches anymore man.

• Like 4

I can't really complain about any of the choices made by creative last night. Your transitional champ (until Lesnar wins) has to be either Cena or Orton. Bray, Cesaro, and especially Reigns are the future and don't need to be rushed (or worse) ruined by being a transitional champ. Reigns is almost ready for a long run, but not quite there yet... I could easily see a long-term scenario going like this: Cena-Brock-Bryan-Rollins-Reigns. This is assuming that the Rollins turn wasn't simply a swerve with the idea to reunite the Shield at some point. This gives them a chance to put the strap back on Bryan and have him lose it by some sort of chicanery to Rollins and then have Reigns get his revenge for the swerve and the title in one fell swoop. You can then move both Bray and Cesaro into the title picture, though as I've said before, Bray is the Roddy Piper of this era, he doesn't need a title to be over, and in fact, might be more interesting without one. (When your stated goal is ruling the world, getting all hot and bothered over a wrestling title seems sort of petty).

• Like 2

The one thing I will give this show a lot of love for (because the commentary was god awful and made an average to fine show a lot terribleler) is the side screen talking head interviews. 

EVERYONE GOT TO TALK. IT WAS AWESOME.

If people didn't love Dean already, 'case or face' was a 6.2 on the '3:16' scale.' Hell, when Kofi got cocky and ended his promo with 'Boom.' I actually wanted him to win kind of.

Wrestlers just showing their personality for 8 seconds. Who would have thought? 

• Like 3

The tag title match was a fucking awesome way to start the show. So so so glad that the Usos got the stench of failure off of them. Then again, they may be the most charismatic tag team in the last ten years. The haka or whatever it is called needs to never go away.

Thought the divas matches highlighted the problems with diva matches since Trish left: either they are movezy as fuck with no emotion/personality or the characters are annoying as shit and have no chemistry with each other.

The MITB match was cringe worthy. So many stupid bumps. And Swaggie was like that turd that won't flush. Thought Kofi looked good.

The mini hoss fight was fun. But they better make Big E. the biggest guy Rusev faces. Where did all the actual hosses go? :(

Lost the stream after that. Cena winning shouldn't surprised anyone on the internet. Like no one.

If I'm Seth Rollins and they tell me I'm taking that bump, I'd have been like, "cool, where's my flak jacket?"

Also, I wanna shout out to Erick Rowan. He's getting better every time out. Harper is still the star, but Rowan has gotten good enough to not need carrying...

I just want to call out the Kofi ladder to springboard spot.  That was dope.

Kofi added at least another three years to why kids like him in that match. Say what you will, but Kofi knows his audience.

• Like 1