DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2014: APRIL

Dolfan in NYC

Sammy Sosa getting hit in the head with a baseball, blowing up his helmet, is one of the scariest things I've seen when it comes to a hitter getting hit in the head. I'm all for never seeing anything like that, or close to it, ever again. And yet, it keeps happening.

Just curious where you draw the line with being competitive & passionate vs. being immature & questioning a manager's authority.  Saturday night normally lights-out Braves closer Craig Kimbel takes the mound with a 7-3 lead.  Manager comes to get him with the score 7-5 with the bases loaded.  He very clearly said "you gotta be kidding me" to Fredi's face and then said "this is BS" while heading off the mound.  My first reaction is this guy is immature & is getting an ego if he thinks he's untouchable.  But the more I thought about it, I had to kind of admire his competitive fire & passion in thinking he could work his way out of it.  Maybe it was a heat of the moment kind of reaction but it did lead me to have these conflicting thoughts.  I guess some managers might tolerate this kind of thing more than others.

I guess my reaction is mostly due to the asshole talking heads who act as if beanballs are a scourge upon the game.  Batters preening after hitting a game winning HR or to take the lead in the 8th or 9th, especially in the playoffs? Okay. Doing the same thing in a game in April especially in a early inning? Dust that fucker or put one in the ribs next time up. Baseball is(and should be) a rough and tumble game. I'm just tired of the complaining about it. . . Maybe I've been reading too many old school players bios. . . 

Intentionally hitting players, which can cause serious injuries, should be 'gotten rid of' period, it isn't the 1950s anymore.  It is a joke when a pitcher gets a five day suspension since they only pitch every five days anyway.  Brushing back is one thing, but "retaliating" for some unwritten rule by intentionally doing something that could lead to a serious injury is stupid and always has been.  I mean I know its not going anywhere, not until someone has their career ended by it anyway.  I still chuckle when I think about Greinke getting hurt when a batter charged him after he hit him on purpose, someone throws a 90 MPH baseball at me on purpose I am charging at them too, assuming I am still standing.

Intentionally hitting players, which can cause serious injuries, should be 'gotten rid of' period, it isn't the 1950s anymore.  It is a joke when a pitcher gets a five day suspension since they only pitch every five days anyway.  Brushing back is one thing, but "retaliating" for some unwritten rule by intentionally doing something that could lead to a serious injury is stupid and always has been.  I mean I know its not going anywhere, not until someone has their career ended by it anyway.  I still chuckle when I think about Greinke getting hurt when a batter charged him after he hit him on purpose, someone throws a 90 MPH baseball at me on purpose I am charging at them too, assuming I am still standing.

I think we agree to disagree on this one.  If your plunked, take it like a man, and go to first.  . . .

I think we agree to disagree on this one.  If your plunked, take it like a man, and go to first.  . . .

Billy Hamilton went from 1st to third on a cleanly fielded comebacker to the pitcher in the 1st inning tonight.  That was after being hit on the ankle with a pitch.

He then scored on a cleanly fielded ground ball to third with the infield in.

Yeah, he was running on the 1st to 3rd, and yeah the catcher bobbled the ball at home...but goddamn.  It's like a video game with him.

I'm with you on this.  A couple years ago at a Spokane Indians game, the opposing team catcher started a fight by jawing at an Indians player who'd argued balls and strikes.  The next night, the catcher came up to the plate and everybody in the park knew he was going to get drilled.  He did - a fastball right in the ribs.  He took it like a pro, though, and went to first without incident.  Exactly how it should be.

Now, a couple things:

- I used to not care if a dude threw up around a guy's head.  I feel differently about that now.  I'm not saying there's never a case for it - like retaliation against a headhunting pitcher - but it would be really rare

- I'd like to see big-time suspensions for guys who leave their positions or benches to join a fight.  If a hitter charges the mound, let those two slug it out, a la the NHL.  In the NHL, you get 10 games for leaving the bench, even if you don't fight.  That's 1/8th of a season, so make it 20 games for MLB.  The coach also gets suspended and the team gets a $250k fine.  Do the same thing in MLB.  There's a reason there hasn't been a bench-clearing brawl in the NHL in almost 20 years.

- I'd like to see suspensions against pitchers have more teeth.  Like 5 starts or something.  And make the team lose that roster spot for those games.

- not gonna lie - have no problem with drilling a guy who watches a home run or flips his bat or whatever.  Hip, butt, or ribs though, not the head.

- I also have no problem with a pitcher drilling somebody because 3 or 4 of his teammates have gotten hit during a game, even if it wasn't intentional. 

In general, I think you'd see a lot of problems eliminated if guys didn't feel like they needed to show off every time they make good contact and also if umpires actually enforced the "must make an attempt to get out of the way" rule on HBPs.

• Like 1

I'm with you on this.  A couple years ago at a Spokane Indians game, the opposing team catcher started a fight by jawing at an Indians player who'd argued balls and strikes.  The next night, the catcher came up to the plate and everybody in the park knew he was going to get drilled.  He did - a fastball right in the ribs.  He took it like a pro, though, and went to first without incident.  Exactly how it should be.

Now, a couple things:

- I used to not care if a dude threw up around a guy's head.  I feel differently about that now.  I'm not saying there's never a case for it - like retaliation against a headhunting pitcher - but it would be really rare

- I'd like to see big-time suspensions for guys who leave their positions or benches to join a fight.  If a hitter charges the mound, let those two slug it out, a la the NHL.  In the NHL, you get 10 games for leaving the bench, even if you don't fight.  That's 1/8th of a season, so make it 20 games for MLB.  The coach also gets suspended and the team gets a $250k fine.  Do the same thing in MLB.  There's a reason there hasn't been a bench-clearing brawl in the NHL in 25 years.

- I'd like to see suspensions against pitchers have more teeth.  Like 5 starts or something.  And make the team lose that roster spot for those games.

- not gonna lie - have no problem with drilling a guy who watches a home run or flips his bat or whatever.  Hip, butt, or ribs though, not the head.

- I also have no problem with a pitcher drilling somebody because 3 or 4 of his teammates have gotten hit during a game, even if it wasn't intentional. 

In general, I think you'd see a lot of problems eliminated if guys didn't feel like they needed to show off every time they make good contact and also if umpires actually enforced the "must make an attempt to get out of the way" rule on HBPs.

Your post is exactly how I fell, you just said it better., and my only other thought is get rid of this umpire warning bullshit. The amount of headhunting/guys getting hit would be very low, it just lets the pitcher reclaim more authority. 

The problem with the warning system is that the first guy gets to act with impunity, while the other guys can't retaliate.  That's not right.

• Like 1

5 game suspension for Maldonado which seems appropriate, 3 game suspension for Gomez which should probably be two, 2 game suspension for Snider and a 1 game suspension for Russel Martin. Nothing for Gerrit Cole. Maldonado is serving his already because he doesn't play that often anyway and the other 3 are appealing.

Just to bring this back around to what kicked off the beanball discussion, MLB suspends four from the Pirates-Brewers fracas:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10822556/major-league-baseball-issues-penalties-milwaukee-brewers-pittsburgh-pirates-scuffle

Brewers back-up catcher Martin Maldonado, who was the guy who threw the sucker punch (to Travis Snider, who got 2 games for hip tossing a Brewer), got the biggest penalty at 5 games.

You can't ban people coming off the bench in a baseball fight for a very simple and obvious reason.  In basketball, football, hockey, etc you have the same number of people on the court/field/ice/whatever for both teams.  In baseball, the best case scenario in a big brawl without the benches is 9 on 4.  If there's a fight, you have to be able to protect your teammates.

But, yeah, I'm of the opinion "he hit a home run off you and watched it like a prick?  Hey, maybe you should strike him out instead." as opposed to "THROW THE BALL AT HIM."  To me, it's no different that a hockey player attacking someone with his stick.  It's assault, period.

• Like 2

Can the Yanks just cut A-Rod this fall and keep Solarte? I love this kid.

I'd like him a lot better if he weren't 1 for 15 since I picked him up. Of course my only other 3B is Kyle Seager and the less said about that, the better.

Can the Yanks just cut A-Rod this fall and keep Solarte? I love this kid.

I'd like him a lot better if he weren't 1 for 15 since I picked him up. Of course my only other 3B is Kyle Seager and the less said about that, the better.

Since ZImmerman is hurt, I'm starting Kelly Johnson. . . .

Yeah motherfuckers! Cubs have won two in a row! Longest streak of the season for them...and I still expect those buttholes to not win this series.

Goddamn though, the Diamondbacks look historically bad.

You too can own one of the cupcakes handed out at today's Cubs game celebrating Wrigley Field's 100th anniversary for a cool $100...or best offer:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100th-Anniversary-Wrigley-Field-Jewel-Osco-Chicage-Cubs-Cupcake-Cup-Cake-2014-/191147358812?pt=Vintage_Sports_Memorabilia&hash=item2c81453a5c