DVDVR Message Board

Podcast Potpourri (aka Not Austin, AOW, Talk Is Jericho....)

Rev Ray

Couldn't that argument be reversed to say that JR has always been this way and if you don't understand that like his real fans do, you need to shut the fuck up and walk away from him?

He's not giving the fans what they want.  The fans are the customers, and the customers are always right.

Couldn't that argument be reversed to say that JR has always been this way and if you don't understand that like his real fans do, you need to shut the fuck up and walk away from him?

He's not giving the fans what they want.  The fans are the customers, and the customers are always right.

LOL

After listening to Austin's podcast this morning, all I can say is that he's lucky that he's a Global Icon And National Treasure. His story on how he met and dated Kristin leads me to believe that Stone Cold has NO GAME WHATSOEVER.

• 2 weeks later...

11031997_10206182242496734_1074108896488

Kris is joined by Robert Bihari, Alfredo Esparza, & The Cubs Fan to discuss what we think it takes to be a top-level tecnico in Lucha Libre. We talk about what styles we prefer and how booking plays an important role in getting over young tecnicos. Listen to us talk about luchadores of all shapes and sizes as well as giving our takes on state of Lucha Libre in 2015!

http://placetobenati...year-in-review/

• Like 1

I hadn't even heard Flair got a podcast, though it doesn't surprise me. Market's getting a bit too saturated. Austin/Jericho are both really good, Taz/Cornette/Piper can be good when they stay on point and don't ramble. JR/Goldberg both sound like neither of them gives much of a shit (though admittedly I haven't listened to more than a few of Goldberg's shows). I haven't listened to Colt for a long time, but he always seemed to me like he was doing his interviews with about 90 seconds notice

Episode 18 of the Wrestling Night Review Podcast is in the can. Once again I joined our always gracious host John Zornek and our colorman Phil Bryer to talk about what went down on our favorite day of the month.

http://wrestlingnight.podbean.com/e/wrestling-night-podcast-episode-18/

There was a ton to cover as we had to resolve a tie between myself and Kenny from the previous Wrestling Night before we even got into the standard Ace competition. So the matches we compare and contrast on this episode are:

Match-up 1:
(Me) Terry Funk/Dory Funk Jr VS Stan Hansen/Terry Gordy - AJPW 08/1983
(Kenny) Undertaker VS CM Punk - WWE 04/2013

Match-up 2:
(Phil) Ricochet VS KUSHIDA - NJPW Best of the Super Juniors Finals 06/2014
(Me) Yoshinobu Kanemaru/Makoto Hashi VS KENTA/Naomichi Marufuji - NOAH 03/2003

Match-up 3:
(Kenny) Bryan Danielson VS Spanky - ROH Best of the American Super Juniors 04/2005
(John) Brock Lesnar © VS Undertaker - WWE Championship Hell In A Cell 10/2002

As you can tell, if you're a fan of the Undertaker and/or Paul Heyman, there will be plenty of content relevant to your interests in this episode. We open things up discussing some of our favorite wrestling entrance songs of all-time, as well as acknowledging that we have just passed our 11th birthday as the premier brand of sports entertainment in the world. John and I share stories about our treacherous voyage out to Asbury Park NJ when we were there live for Danielson/Spanky, I lament my love for 2003 Makoto Hashi, and at some point we cover strategy on how to beat Streets of Rage. It's all in a day's work for the WNRP and if you make it all the way to the end of the giant sized episode we may even sing you a lullaby.

I hadn't even heard Flair got a podcast, though it doesn't surprise me. Market's getting a bit too saturated. Austin/Jericho are both really good, Taz/Cornette/Piper can be good when they stay on point and don't ramble. JR/Goldberg both sound like neither of them gives much of a shit (though admittedly I haven't listened to more than a few of Goldberg's shows). I haven't listened to Colt for a long time, but he always seemed to me like he was doing his interviews with about 90 seconds notice

It's saturated to say the least.  Have to play them at 2x speed just to get through them.  And it also depends on the guest/topic.  I'd say Stone Cold's is my favorite, but I don't have time to hear him talk about his garbage disposal.  If it's not worth checking out I'd just skip that episode.

Aside from WO podcasts, the main ones I listen to regularly are:

Austin, both versions.

Jericho

JR

Colt

Taz

Talkin' Shop

I saw the guest list for Piper and it's impressive, might have to give him a shot.  I did check the Rousey episode and it was wonderful hearing her fangirl over him and wrestling.  Not sure if I could tolerate lots of him making weird noises and such.  I'll check Flair's when it starts, could be good.  Kevin Kelly has a list of lots of ROH wrestlers, that could be good.

But yet, the podcast market is way oversaturated.  I'm running out ways to listen to them with the little time I have for it.

I listened to the Flair podcast with Meltzer last night. I thought it was pretty good. It really helps that Flair has someone in the studio with him so it feels more like a radio chat than a podcast. I loved the Ray Steven's stories along with the stuff on Brody. Flair is right that Harper should work Brody-esq and slow down. He said he faced Hansen (didn't say when though) cause he was talking about not wanting to take a Lariat from Stan without his glasses on.

When would Flair have ever faced Hansen. Has to be outside of Japan so I'm guessing when Stan was in Georgia? Is there video of this?

Overall it wasn't a bad interview. The wrestling podcast market is very oversaturated though. The dam's close to bursting.

If there weren't so many podcasts I'd be more inclined to hear Flair's show.  But at this point I can barely keep up so he might fall into one of the ones I hear about more than actually hear.  Colt's sadly fell into that territory now, and I like his.  Taz's show fell by the wayside too, save for certain episodes.  The fact that the episodes are pretty much on-demand certainly helps my "I'll listen whenever I want, but don't care to now" mentality.

I listened to the Flair podcast with Meltzer last night. I thought it was pretty good. It really helps that Flair has someone in the studio with him so it feels more like a radio chat than a podcast. I loved the Ray Steven's stories along with the stuff on Brody. Flair is right that Harper should work Brody-esq and slow down. He said he faced Hansen (didn't say when though) cause he was talking about not wanting to take a Lariat from Stan without his glasses on.

When would Flair have ever faced Hansen. Has to be outside of Japan so I'm guessing when Stan was in Georgia? Is there video of this?

Overall it wasn't a bad interview. The wrestling podcast market is very oversaturated though. The dam's close to bursting.

They could have worked when Stan was in WCW. And perhaps they were in battle royales together.

Edit: from wrestling classics board

APRIL 16, 1978 � ATLANTA, GA � OMNI AUDITORIUM

Georgia Heavyweight Title Match: Stan Hansen © d. Ric Flair

JUNE 23, 1978 � ATLANTA, GA � OMNI AUDITORIUM

Stan Hansen & Dick Slater d. Ric Flair & Abdullah the Butcher

JULY 5, 1978 � COLUMBUS, GA � COLUMBUS MUNICIPAL AUDITORIUM

Ric Flair & Ole Anderson versus Stan Hansen & �Mystery Partner� � result unknown

(It is unclear as to whom the �Mystery Partner� was)

JULY 12, 1978 � COLUMBUS, GA � COLUMBUS MUNICIPAL AUDITORIUM

US Heavyweight Title Match: Ric Flair © versus Stan Hansen � result unknown

AUGUST 18, 1978 � ATLANTA, GA � OMNI AUDITORIUM

US Heavyweight Title Match (SR � Bill Watts): Stan Hansen d. Ric Flair © by DQ

MARCH 26, 1979 � AUGUSTA, GA � BELL AUDITORIUM

Tony Atlas & Stan Hansen versus Ric Flair & Ole Anderson ended in a DDQ

MARCH 28, 1979 � COLUMBUS, GA � COLUMBUS MUNICIPAL AUDITORIUM

Stan Hansen & Wahoo McDaniel versus Ric Flair & Ole Anderson � result unknown

OCTOBER 3, 1982 � ATLANTA, GA � OMNI AUDITORIUM

Stan Hansen versus Ric Flair ruled a NC

JUNE 3, 1984 � ATLANTA, GA � OMNI AUDITORIUM

NWA World Heavyweight Title Match: Ric Flair d. Stan Hansen by DQ

Listened to the Flair podcast with Meltzer. While it was good, I'm a little weirded out that, with it having a host that isn't him, Flair seems like he'll be a guest on every one of his podcasts. That's a little weird.

Svengoolie on Cornette's podcast for a variety of talk about all the local creature-feature shows Cornette remembers from the 70s and MeTV and fun things of that sort.

(fast-forward past the usual opening stuff)

I love old horror flicks, so I enjoyed this one. Even clueless Alice Radley couldn't ruin it.

I listened to the PWTorch podcast with Bruce Mitchell, for the first time. Whose idea was it to put that guy in front a mic? Just awful.