DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Spoilers for 2/7/14

victor

It's weird how much better of a pro wrestler Brie is than Nikki.

Well, besides who their boyfriends are and the fact that DB has experience in actually training wrestlers in APW, Inoki Dojo, and Ring of Honor, Nikki was laid up for a while and expected not to be able wrestle ever again.

It's weird how much better of a pro wrestler Brie is than Nikki.

Well, besides who their boyfriends are and the fact that DB has experience in actually training wrestlers in APW, Inoki Dojo, and Ring of Honor, Nikki was laid up for a while and expected not to be able wrestle ever again.

Yeah, not so weird when you think about it. Though since they started dressing differently (and Nikki bought some boobs), perhaps some of that is to emphasize that they aren't so twinly any more?

...Nah, giving 'em too much credit.

The "Brie is so much better than Nikki" talking point is really starting to remind me of when everyone raved about how great Maria was in the ring once she started dating Punk. It seems like people are transferring their love of Bryan and feelings that he's great onto Brie. I haven't noticed much, if any, difference between the two's abilities other than Brie having a lot more run in the ring due to Nikki's injury and her maybe having ring rust.

Oddly enough I've noticed that Aksana has significantly improved and gotten much better than she used to be though.

Until she almost put somebody's eye out on Monday.

Sheamus-v-Ryback was quite a bit of fun. And Titus threw himself around a bit too much on the concrete. That could not have been pleasant.

This was an awesome night of wrestling. The opening tag was a lot of fun and led to a great Wyatt promo, and Ryback-Sheamus was perfect. There is no way a match between them couldl be better. Bryan-Cesaro brought back some fantastic older spots, and debuted the LA MISTICA YES LOCK. Glorious stuff. Divas match was annoying. COME ON, NIKKI! COME ON, NIKKI! COME ON, NIKKI! COME ON, NIKKI! AJ was quite flexible, and hot, during the Black Widow. Ttitus's cocky bit with Renee was so glorious, OH NATURE! Goldust-Bray was fun, and led to some great promo work from Ambrose. Christian and Orton had every match they've ever had, so it was good, but very samey.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2014/02/sd-2-7-14.html

Screens -

2b7601306623199.jpg

019409306624854.jpg

e85081306632534.jpg

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/r5bw2lfkjchbvb154roauee3im7ug7o8

Shit happens, it's wrestling. It sucks that Naomi got hurt but that doesn't change the fact that Aksana has greatly improved. Aksana isn't the best in the company but she's pretty far removed from the worst which is where she was last Summer.

Sheamus vs Ryback was better than I thought it would be, I loved Ryback's powerbomb counter to the Brogue Kick. My highlight of the last couple WWE TV shows have been the Wyatts and Shield feud, I really can't express enough how much I'm looking forward to this. The Wyatts vs Shield is everything awesome about pro wrestling.

• Like 1

Yeah this show was fucking tremendous. Crowd even gave a great ovation to the Big Cat! 

- Great back and forth between Wyatts and Shield. 

- Bryan/Cesaro was jam-packed with incredible reversals from Cesaro, including an awesome, Backlund-esque carry into an electric chair drop. Bryan just eats it over and over and keeps coming back and then tops Cesaro's reversals with LA MISTICA into the Yes Lock. Holy shit. He went totally high-flyer in this one but always played underdog. Crowd was way too quiet for this. 

- Ryback/Sheamus was great with two big hosses just beating the fuck out of each other. We get more great reversals with the double reversal finish. JBL saying the boot is loaded was too funny. 

- Goldust/Bray stomped the piss out of both of those matches. Both guys worked stiff as hell. The crawling faceoff after the turnbuckle Exorcist hang was too good. When you're beating a Bryan/Cesaro match on a show you are on fire. 

- Titus cuts a killer promo disguised as interview and gets brutally jumped by Darren Young, that was a great backstage segment that will be forgotten in the midst of all this in-ring greatness. 

- The only two guys I like watching with Orton are Bryan and Christian and Orton and Christian have their typical good match, snug and nicely paced, good switchup on their typical finish. 

My attention drifted during the opener and Divas match, so not reviewing those. All in all a must-see show. 

More small notes

Titus ripping off a fucked-up James Brown with the "I look good, I smell good" comment had me rolling. 

I noticed that the Black Widow is a seated Octopus Hold with an armbar. Put that in your Wrestling Moves Checklist I guess. 

The girl with glasses and gray "NERD" shirt actually distracted me during the Bryan match as I started looking for her. I wonder if WWE is trolling us.

EDIT: One more. What is up with Christian looking like he has jaundice? I feel like I've asked this before. Whatever spray-tan that is, he needs to toss it.

The "Brie is so much better than Nikki" talking point is really starting to remind me of when everyone raved about how great Maria was in the ring once she started dating Punk. It seems like people are transferring their love of Bryan and feelings that he's great onto Brie. I haven't noticed much, if any, difference between the two's abilities other than Brie having a lot more run in the ring due to Nikki's injury and her maybe having ring rust.

I think if you are a execution wonk, Brie is for you. If you actually like some decent charisma, Nikki is for you. Either way, both are way more coordinated than Maria could ever hope to be. idk. I find the Bellas quite inoffensive and can be fun to watch. Brie can hit a big move and Nikki will eat shit.

Agreed, Sheamus vs Ryback was a big guy battle! It's right up there with Festus vs. Koslov! The powerbomb counter out of the Brogue Kick was the best

I'm really surprised no one had done that before. That was such an awesome move by DA BIG GUY.

I was psyched for Bray vs. Goldust. Sad it was such a short match. It still boggles my mind that Goldust busts out such a swank leaping Frankensteiner. It's so crisp and smooth. It's something you expect in a lucha match and here's Goldust doing it.

In agreement that this was a very good show top to bottom.

The opening tag was a great story-telling match. Ambrose and Reigns being casually dominant while they try to psych each other out was so cool. Rollins was great on commentary, don't know if his line about 3MB made the airing of if that was app filler. It's interesting how he's transitioned into being the leader when Ambrose was clearly in that position last year. 

The Shield/Wyatt dueling promos continue to rule. Best WWE feud in forever. So simple, but so great. I hope they just keep talking and beating jobber teams and don't touch before the ppv.

Good promo from Titus. I hope he can find a spot on this deep roster. Surprisingly inspired attack from Young as well afterwards. I still don't have faith in creative to do much for these guys after their feud, but they're at least making a strong case for deserving some more tv time.

Bryan/Cesaro was solid. They definitely could do better, but this was a fun counter-based match with each guy showing some new variations of trademark spots. Great looking finish, and Cesaro's reaction afterwards was a beautiful, subtle way to put over how hard-fought the match was.

Bray/Goldust was good and did what it needed to do. Bray is really good at working his character into his matches, and Goldust was digging deep into his bag of tricks to keep up with him. 

Sheamus/Ryback was a poor man's version Sheamus/Show, but a decent amount of fun. Definitely the best thing Ryback has done since bullying backstage employees.

Orton/Christian was one of their lesser matches, but they have good chemistry. Loved the app filler/unaired segment where Orton cheap heats the shit out of Des Moines. Find that if you didn't see it, it was almost Angle-esque. I also ironically like the fact that these constantly use the springboard counter finish. It's a great little running joke. When will Christian ever learn?

Tried rewatching Goldust-Bray to see what I was missing, but other than *that* spot, I didn't think it was anything special. Goldust barely ate any offense before he just sat there for what seemed like ages to eat the Sister Abigail. He couldn't have just done the kiss bullshit and hit him with it quickly?

Why is it that finishers have to be long and drawn out to the point of ridiculousness again? When Brock returned and took 30 seconds to F5 a completely fresh Cena it completely ruined that moment for me.