DVDVR Message Board

All-Encompassing Sports TV Thread of Hate

LooseCannon

http://m.hollywoodreporter.com/v/LiveFeed/EspnCreatesNewUnit

SImmons posted on Facebook, "So this is happening", with a link to the above. Sounds like the other shoe to drop from the Dr. V article to me. . .

Sounds like standard corporate behavior completely unrelated to the Dr. V article.

Yeah, it sounds like they're just creating a whole different department for things that are kind of on the fringe of regular ESPN sports stuff.  Grantland, FiveThrityEight, and their film division probably don't have much crossover with any of the core ESPN reporting or programming, so it kind of makes sense.  It probably is just a move to relieve the headaches of whoever was trying to balance all of their shit with whatever else they were in charge of.  It sounds more like corporate reorganization, than punishment for doing something wrong. 

Maybe Simmons is pissed he has to report to a woman instead of a man now.

Maybe I'm crazy, but based on what I've seen on Twitter and Instagram he seems kind of happy about it.  Who posts pictures of a celebration dinner for something that they don't agree with? 

Maybe Simmons is pissed he has to report to a woman instead of a man now.

Maybe I'm crazy, but based on what I've seen on Twitter and Instagram he seems kind of happy about it.  Who posts pictures of a celebration dinner for something that they don't agree with?

Someone who plays the political game correctly?

Lindsay Czarniak had her son this morning (Her husband tweeted photos). 

Of course - since the DC area is a hot bed apparently  - ESPN also hired Britt McHenry

For those who don't know Britt

britt_mchenry_022WEB.jpg

I should note the utter horror I experienced the other morning flipping channels and seeing Greenberg, Stink and Cowherd talking about the difference between being fans in NY and being fans in LA.

Not certain to put this here or in the Baseball thread but...what the hell.

Realize, I am reporting this all second hand since I only hate myself so much but...supposedly ESPN: The Magazine's baseball preview trotted out a TEAM CHEMISTRY SCORE~~!!!!  which, according to the Baseball Primer thread factors:

1. Demographic Factor: The impact from diversity, measured by age, tenure with the team, nationality, race and position. Teams with the highest scores have several overlapping groups based on the shared traits and experiences. 

2. Isolation Factor: The impact from players who are isolated because of a lack of subgroups from these shared demographic traits. Too much diversity can in fact, produce clubhouse isolation for players who don't have teammates with similar backgrounds or experiences. 

3. Ego Factor: The impact from individuals differences in performances and monetary status. Too few All-Stars and highly paid players signal a lack of leadership, too many however creates conflict. The ideal level falls in the middle.

So needless to say...this quasi-science would be mildly offensive even 50 years ago.  But now...wow.

Here is a nice little take on this...umm...sad little experiment.

Not certain to put this here or in the Baseball thread but...what the hell.

Realize, I am reporting this all second hand since I only hate myself so much but...supposedly ESPN: The Magazine's baseball preview trotted out a TEAM CHEMISTRY SCORE~~!!!!  which, according to the Baseball Primer thread factors:

1. Demographic Factor: The impact from diversity, measured by age, tenure with the team, nationality, race and position. Teams with the highest scores have several overlapping groups based on the shared traits and experiences. 

2. Isolation Factor: The impact from players who are isolated because of a lack of subgroups from these shared demographic traits. Too much diversity can in fact, produce clubhouse isolation for players who don't have teammates with similar backgrounds or experiences. 

3. Ego Factor: The impact from individuals differences in performances and monetary status. Too few All-Stars and highly paid players signal a lack of leadership, too many however creates conflict. The ideal level falls in the middle.

So needless to say...this quasi-science would be mildly offensive even 50 years ago.  But now...wow.

Here is a nice little take on this...umm...sad little experiment.

I honestly don't know if this is offensive to do, or just offensive to say.  As a black person, I know how much you can feel like an outsider when you are the only black guy in the room.  I'm just saying some of the jokes that get told when you are the only black person in a room don't get told when there are other black people in the room.  While I think this is problematic to put in a magazine, it kind of has some validity to it.  The real problem is that it doesn't take more things into consideration.  How much more do these things affect team chemistry than something like a changing of the guard situation where there are established players in a spot, but a couple of new guys are taking their reps.  That will start some shit every time, and there should also be a category called asshole.  One asshole can stir the pot more than just about anything, remember T.O. on the Eagles, by the time he left everyone hated each other.

• Like 1

Even as a Red Sox fan I appreciate Derrick Jeter and the career he has had but does ESPN really need a special blog, the Jeet index, to track his last season. Baseball players retire we don't need a year long special blog with a how many games left countdown and a map to track his travels. Good lord what are they gonna do if Peyton Manning or years down the road Lebron announces their retirement ahead of time.

I may have left that name of for a reason. If my Brady clones would only start throwing footballs instead of just modeling UGGs we would never have to worry about that awful idea of a NFL without Terrific Tom.