DVDVR Message Board

All-Encompassing Sports TV Thread of Hate

LooseCannon

Or you can do it like baseball does and not have the players sign but the team drafting them retains their rights the whole time they're at a four-year school.

That's not how baseball does it.

OK.  Did they change it?  I thought it used to be if the guy you drafted went to college, you kept his rights for four years or something.

Via mlb.com:

A Club generally retains the rights to sign a selected player until 11:59 PM (EDT) August 15, or until the player enters, or returns to, a four-year college on a full-time basis. A player who is drafted and does not sign with the Club that selected him may be drafted again at a future year's Draft, so long as the player is eligible for that year's Draft. A Club may not select a player again in a subsequent year, unless the player has consented to the re-selection.

It's been that way since at least the late 80s.  A friend of mine was drafted by the Reds out of high school in 89.  He didn't sign, played college ball instead, then signed with the White Sox 3 years later.

Boomer will be sad to have his whipping boy Marino gone.  Losing "I'm gonna sound like Lou Holtz when I'm 70" Sharpe is no loss.  Tony is smart, well-spoken, and should do a good job.

Reminds me of Harley Race talking about being a bounty hunter in his book.  People who recognized him would never suspect that he was there to bring them in.

Plus, he was HARLEY FUCKING RACE, so, you know...

OK, quick question--which former pro athletes could be legit bounty hunters?  I'd have Shannon Sharpe in the Top 5.  He has the attitude, plus he's still in incredible shape.

Make your selections!

You have a crazy hypothetical...I have a crazy answer.

Jim Brown is #1.  Not only is he the Jim Brown, but he has worked with so many gangs that he probably can find any criminal he wants.

Ray Lewis is a close #2, because he spent about 15 years chasing people down with extreme prejudice.

Jose Canseco is #3 because he will take any job.

The Undertaker is #4 because if a 6'10" 300lb. man who looks like him shows up at your door and says you are coming with me, you are going with him.

Jim Brown is #1.  Not only is he the Jim Brown, but he has worked with so many gangs that he probably can find any criminal he wants.

Including white criminals?

In my experience with some of the poeple I know who may or may not be living a life of crime, they all seem to know who is who despite what side of the tracks they come from.  If you really think about it the criminal community is pretty small, and making money illegally is kind of hard to do if you aren't willing to reach across the table from time to time. 

News - Fox broadcast won't be airing baseball until Memorial Day weekend, and they won't be airing daytime baseball until September. It's assumed all the other windows (April-May, midJuly-September) will be on FS1, along with Spring Training and mid-week broadcasts.

That post isn't even live on AA yet, I'm spoiling you fuckers a lil bit.

News - Fox broadcast won't be airing baseball until Memorial Day weekend, and they won't be airing daytime baseball until September. It's assumed all the other windows (April-May, midJuly-September) will be on FS1, along with Spring Training and mid-week broadcasts.

That post isn't even live on AA yet, I'm spoiling you fuckers a lil bit.

Completely blanking - who did Fox get to replace McCarver?

On Espn's website, they have an article that is 'unnamed source says cuse/duke call was correct'. The content of said article was that a veteran unnamed official said he watched the play three or four times and sees how it could have gone either way. This is news?

On Espn's website, they have an article that is 'unnamed source says cuse/duke call was correct'. The content of said article was that a veteran unnamed official said he watched the play three or four times and sees how it could have gone either way. This is news?

How can a call be correct if that official could as easily see it being wrong.

How can a call be correct if that official could as easily see it being wrong.

Obviously because the  WWL says so. . .   :)