DVDVR Message Board

All-Encompassing Sports TV Thread of Hate

LooseCannon

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed this:  With the World Cup on ESPN & ESPN 2 and Wimbledon on ESPNEWS, Sportscenter is not on any channel between 11:30 AM and 2 PM.  It's been a long time since SportsCenter wasn't on at any given time.

ESPN as a company has it's head so far up it's own ass that their talents are tweeting about what a "big story" the new SportsCenter set is.

Good grief.  There is so little quality to ESPN anymore :(

ESPN as a company has it's head so far up it's own ass that their talents are tweeting about what a "big story" the new SportsCenter set is.

Good grief.  There is so little quality to ESPN anymore :(

Just mute the TV.  You'd honestly do better just watching the TV screen with no talking head screaming at you.

Just mute the TV.  You'd honestly do better just watching the TV screen with no talking head screaming at you.

This is so true.  What's sad is that they've let the quality of almost all their "news" areas suffer with the editorial stuff.  Sportscenter is just so awful anymore.  The various "NFL Tonight"-type shows are awful.  Pretty much everything they do other than E:60 and 30 For 30 are a disaster - and even E:60 is infested with this sheen of faux gravitas that just makes me want to barf.  Back in the day, my roomie & I would watch Sportscenter all day long - now I can't even watch a minute of it.

And then there's their coverage of live games, which is fallen off a ton as well.

• Like 1

The thing is PtI and AtH aren't really good. They're just the closest to tolerable because they tone down the morning zoo bullshit a little bit.

But mostly they cover the exact same topics as everyone else and say all the same things.  But it's at least not headache-inducing.  Inoffensive is hardly a compliment...but if you want a quick rundown of whatever stupid stuff is on the ESPN ledger, those two shows are the least annoying ways to get it.

I think Pardon the Interruption started off as pretty good.  I like the format of forcing them to move on among all the topics.  And the two guys like each other and can be funny.  And it helps that neither guy is trying to just say something OUTRAGEOUS all the time like Screamin' A or Skip Clueless.  PTI has definitely dropped off though and just isn't as good as it used to be.

I like Reali. He looks like a bro douche, but he comes across as such a nerd who grew up adulating all these sports writers.

Like, the first time I saw him I immediately thought "oh, fuuuuck this guy" but he ended up being this nice, goofy geek.

Edit: Two Boston writers. Simmons...  So the only good writing comes out of Boston.

Well considering none of them are good writers - I have no idea what you are talking about

• Like 2

If nothing else it means they can now extend product placement to include Sportscenter Spokes-Bro shoes.

So expect lots of clever references to Berluti and Magli.  And jokes about how Kornheiser still wears Florsheim.

IT'S A NEW CULTURE!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Did anybody else see the story on SportsCenter tonight about the deaf & blind fan of the Brazil national team?

His physical therapist made a replica of a soccer field and moved his hands with the patient during the game so the patient would know where on the field the ball is and another therapist was making hand signals on the patient's back to relay additional information about the game. It was an amazing story.