DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

I felt the show had problems from the get go when it cast a male model, drew a few scars on his face, then expected us buy him as "the beast"

The most CW thing ever. "OK, so it's called Beauty and the Beast, but it's not like beast actually has to be ugly or anything."

There really isn't anything wrong with that. People that got hung up on him not being that "beasty" weren't exactly the show's target demographic. The problem is that the successful formula of a CW show is "well written, self aware, and attractive people." The show doesn't do that good of a job of any of those. It probably would have been better off as a CBS show aimed more at a middle aged female demographic.

In case your wondering, yes Gracepoint is that bad. . . 

This show is in a no-win situation with all who saw Broadchurch. All my wife and I did was make fun of Tennant's accent and compare how much better the scenery and acting were from the original.

Not that the show doesn't look good, it looks fantastic. But trying to play it off as a little coast town is a stretch for me.

With Tom and Jerry, I see to recall them dubbing in a more "neutral" black voice last time I saw it come on whatever channel was showing it.  Probably the Hub or Boomerang or whatever.  If I recall it was the same chick that does the Pine-Sol commercials.

In case your wondering, yes Gracepoint is that bad. . . 

Yeah, I was bummed to hear that.  I have heard that my library has the full run of Broadchurch so I will have to check it out.

Actors who instantly loss all charisma when you get them doing terrible American accents:

Jonny Lee Miller

Liam Neeson

David Tennant

Franka Potente

I will fight you, sir.  Franka Potente was amazing on this season of The Bridge.  But then again, I'm not sure what her accent was supposed to be.  She's a German actress playing a...Mexican with a German name?

On that note, I never would have guessed that the guy who played Falcone in Batman Begins was British.

Tom Wilkinson and Brendan Gleeson have played American villians enough to the point where everyone forgets they aren't American. Same with Aiden Gillen.

Actors who instantly loss all charisma when you get them doing terrible American accents:

Jonny Lee Miller

Liam Neeson

David Tennant

Franka Potente

Karen Gillan's accent is horrible in selfie, but she still has a bit of a sparkle, not AMy Pond good mind you, but better than the previews would indicate. So watching some new shows last night, in A to Z (which wants to be how I met your mother  so bad it's painful), a side character had a british accent. So let me get this straight: side characters on that show and The Mindy Project get to keep their accents, but two people who are freaking dynamite have to change theirs? I know different networks and show runners, but still. . . . .

Jonny Lee Miller

Liam Neeson

David Tennant

Franka Potente

Liam Neeson does accents????

... I want to tell you a story about a movie with three brothers with three distinctly different southern accents.

next-of-kin-08-4.jpg

Jonny Lee Miller

Liam Neeson

David Tennant

Franka Potente

Liam Neeson does accents????

He has a special set of skills...and accents aren't one of them.

• Like 2

Yeah NBC cancelled Community to make room for shit sandwich like Bad Judge and A to Z why?

Because Community had proven itself to be unfunny and was known to be watched by only a small set of people, whereas A to Z and Bad Judge could potentially be funny and/or attract an audience?

TV really isn't a "devil you know" sorta business.

On that note, I never would have guessed that the guy who played Falcone in Batman Begins was British.

Hugh Dancy's American accent is terrific too, I was surprised to hear he was English.

Karen Gillan's accent was OKish in Oculus....but in Selfie she's trying to a valley girl thing and it's a total disaster. 

It's never actors like Brian Cox that get me. It's obscure people like the chick (Melanie Lynskey) from Two and a Half Men, who I have to look up because it's something unique about how they talk. She does the high pitch whiny voice in everything though.