DVDVR Message Board

2014 RANDOM TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

Is it just me, or is there a sudden explosion of Veterinarian reality shows?

(Full disclosure:  If you ever wondered about what kind of a backwards rural area produced me, The Incredible Dr. Pol's office is about a half hour from me, and he often does visits in areas much closer to where I live and/or work.)

But, yeah, there's nothing obviously defective about Adam and Christina, yet they seem clueless about raising kids. 

A perfect example occurs early in season 5.  Max has gotten a job as a photographer for the school yearbook.  He walks around school with this film camera that Hank gave him and just randomly takes photos of people while telling them he's a yearbook photographer.  He comes up on a group of girls crying and takes a pic.  They yell at him, he takes another.  They ask him to stop, he takes more.  The girl complains, the parents call the school and Max (rightly) gets fired as yearbook photographer.  Kristina goes to the school to plead his case and loses.  She goes home that night and Max is all upset about getting fired.  "It's not fair!" because he's the best photographer on the staff, ya know.  Does Kristina use this as an opportunity to teach her special little snowflake some manners or boundaries?  Does she see a chance to show him Asperger's isn't an excuse to constantly misbehave?  Nope.  "You're right Max, it's unfair" and that's it.  Way to go Kristina.  I can't imagine why your kid is a misbehaving monster on top of all of his special needs issues.

I have now seen all but this past Monday's episode of Gotham. While there are some frustrating elements to the show, I think their attempts at building season-long arcs like this perceived war among the American's underground is enough to keep me interested for a few more episode. Jada Pinkett Smith is just chewing up scenery with her version of villainy mustache twirling.

Also, I really wonder if they're not doing enough to make Jim Gordon interesting. I like McKenzie as an actor, but he seems to be playing the character as a single note thus far and as a boy scout. I think the audience knows and needs for there to be something more there.

EDIT: I didn't realize that this was being discussed in the DC thread.

Man, Fringe continues to be awesome. I can see how people would have problems with the show changing directions so much, but I quite enjoy. Yes, even season 5. To me, watching the series in this way, it does feel like everything lead to this point, but I am bummed we are apparently done with doomsday machines and shit like merging universes.

Jesus fucking Christ. Is anyone...ANYONE...fucking surprised by this? For fucks sake.

Actually yes.

I know the whole thing about the show is that they're "trailer trash" and that's funny and all, but for all her absurdity, Mama June actually came off as a pretty decent mother. Certainly, I would expect better from her than to let someone like that around her kids.

Jesus fucking Christ. Is anyone...ANYONE...fucking surprised by this? For fucks sake.

Actually yes.

I know the whole thing about the show is that they're "trailer trash" and that's funny and all, but for all her absurdity, Mama June actually came off as a pretty decent mother. Certainly, I would expect better from her than to let someone like that around her kids.

By "someone like that..." I assume you mean a TLC film crew.

• Like 1

It's probably a good thing that I barely know who Honey Boo Boo is, right?

(I know she's some sort of kiddie beauty pageant contestant or something.  I couldn't tell you how old she is, name a single person in her family, tell you how long the tv show was on the air, etc.  Basically, if they started filming in my yard, they'd have to be wearing shirts that say "Honey Boo Boo" film crew for me to figure out who they were.)