DVDVR Message Board

2014 UPCOMING MOVIES/CASTING/TERRIBLE PROJECTS...

RIPPA

Funny thing, I just watched THE HEAT and was thinking it was pretty funny...way more watchable than most comedies I've seen lately.

I was going to post that she's really great at doing that one thing, but so was Lou Costello and Jerry Lewis.  They just don't really have anyone who can play straight man with the same kind of edge as Bud Abbott or Dean Martin nowadays and they keep pairing her with random people that aren't up to it.  In Bridesmaids they tried to just make her the background geek.  It seemed like Jason Bateman would be a good Abbott, but he's failed in that role a few times now in films.

Believe it or not, I think Sandra Bullock was better at it than most people would be with` her and I think a few Abbott and Costello style movies with the two of them would be perfectly fun.

But then I came in here and you guys were all farting on everything I believe and now I feel all alone and exposed.

I agree when you said she needs a straightman I was thinking Bullock was by far the best straight man she's had. I actually prefer her in her TV show well before the last season when they went all Melissa Mcarthy show. She showed a pretty decent range of talents in that show but her movies are pretty awful. In fact I didn't even think Bridesmaids deserved near the hype it got. I guess its the same for Kevin Hart, 99 percent of the time he's not funny. He just keeps talking and talking until eventually his character says something amusing. 

• Like 1

I agree when you said she needs a straightman I was thinking Bullock was by far the best straight man she's had. I actually prefer her in her TV show well before the last season when they went all Melissa Mcarthy show. She showed a pretty decent range of talents in that show but her movies are pretty awful. In fact I didn't even think Bridesmaids deserved near the hype it got. I guess its the same for Kevin Hart, 99 percent of the time he's not funny. He just keeps talking and talking until eventually his character says something amusing. 

In a nutshell, that was his last few movies and his last special. A few hits and a ton of misses.

As far McCarthy goes, I've been intentionally avoiding her work like a plague for the last few years. I just saw The Heat and Identity Thief this month on HBO. If Warner Bros. is going all in on her being a summer smash, it's clear they don't want to deviate from the formula. The plot is basically fat, obscene funny person clashes with an upstanding, boring citizen until the latter finally accepts her flaws (or just plain feel sorry for her), and they tag together for hijinks for the final 30 minutes. You can even outline these movies and do a drinking game. I've set the over/under before she gets an ugly person makeover in Tammy at 70 minutes into the running time. I didn't dislike either movie, but the amount of cliches in each is just astronomical. They're going play a funny song from a bygone era and someone is going sing/dance to it ironically? WHAT?!?! Talk about innovation.

It's formula and cliche but I can't complain about them going to the well on that plot though.  It's beyond a cliche in comedy...it's like the mythic essence or something.  I cited Abbott and Costello because essentially The Heat was CHICKABBOTT AND CHICKCOSTELLO JOIN THE POLICE.

I just can't turn my back on that archetype no matter how many times it's been done.  If it's done well, it's still great. 

It would be interesting to give her a real Bud Abbott, though...not an "upstanding citizen" but a sleazy caretaker who understands who/what she is and is fronting for the two of them and let the "straights" be all the people around them. 

As I typed that I realized that was what made Bullock work as her straight man.  She played her character right from the start as mildly annoyed rather than outraged, and as someone who put up with M.M. because she herself was kind of a fuck up.

Wasn't Bateman playing a fuck up too? The guy got a call from a hair salon in Florida while he was living in Colorado just a day or so (may have been the same day) after getting a phone call about identity theft. He just dismissed it. That's a pretty big fuckup.

Yeah I pretty much loved everything to do with the Gilmore girls. When I first met my wife that was her show and I enjoyed the dialogue. Mcarthy was awesome in that role. Sadly I'm  not sure I'll ever see another McCarthy film. Identity Thief and the last season of her television show have given me my fill. 

Watching Bridesmaids is the single most painful thing I have ever done in my life.

• Like 1

Well Holy Shit....

As someone who grew up on the TV show (thanks to my sister's obsession) - I am more than a little excited.

Plus Chloe Grace Morentz!

The only other movie that I saw that didn't live up to the hype and was more of a stinking pile of turd was probably Lost in Translation.  Now 2 hours of your lead actors staring at each other, now thats a terribly overrated piece of film.

• Like 1

I'll watch Denzel in anything. He and Tom Cruise are basically doing the same thing - mid-life alpha male action movies - and yet it's so much cooler when Denzel does it. 

• Like 2

I am a mark for her

Heck I read that fucking If I Stay book just I can watch the terrible movie without thinking "I really should have read the book first"

BOOO!

It looks so generic.  Why call it that if instead of the premise of a shady "fix-it" guy for hire you're just going to make MAN ON FIRE: SLEEK SUIT EDITION?

And then why replace the awessome synth theme with Inception BRAWPS?

Hey!  The Russiam Mafia is a thing! You know how I know that?  Because they're the bad guy in EVERYTHING NOW!

I give this two flaccid internet penises drooped down.