DVDVR Message Board

2014 UPCOMING MOVIES/CASTING/TERRIBLE PROJECTS...

RIPPA

See this is the point where I have to debate if jae is doing a bit or not. I am too tired.

Of course - I realized that while I would expect jae to know there are probably like 30 other people who are reading this thread who don't so...

• Like 1

See this is the point where I have to debate if jae is doing a bit or not. I am too tired.

Of course - I realized that while I would expect jae to know there are probably like 30 other people who are reading this thread who don't so...

What is that? Like a TV show or something?

• Like 2

Nine wasn't Oscar bait...

Well I didn't see it, but a musical based on Fellini's 8 1/2? With Judi Dench, Sophia Loren, Nicole Kidman, and Marion Cotillard? Just cause something flops don't mean it wasn't intended for Oscar bait...

An actor CHOOSING not to do shitty movie. What a novel idea.

An actor CHOOSING to do ten movies in 25 years is not just a case of discerning taste.

Daniel Day Lewis and Meryl Streep are Oscar bait shithouses.

Is August: Osage County "Oscar bait"? It's about a dysfunctional family in middle America and she has Cancer. She did get nominated for it, so I guess it is. She was pretty great in it.

Daniel Day Lewis and Meryl Streep are Oscar bait shithouses.

Is August: Osage County "Oscar bait"? It's about a dysfunctional family in middle America and she has Cancer. She did get nominated for it, so I guess it is. She was pretty great in it.

Eh, I preferred Nancy Marchand's take on Livia Soprano as the ultimate "nutjob matriarch who makes everyone around her miserable."

Streep is a tremendous actress but, in this film anyway, I can kind of see the point Katherine Hepburn once made about how you can "see the wheels turning" when she acts. It felt a bit too show-y and artificial.

Guess this goes here:

Wachowski Bros. latest film, Jupiter Rising, got yanked from the summer release schedule.  Will now be released (buried) in Feb 2015:

http://www.eonline.com/news/547980/mila-kunis-and-channing-tatum-bumped-jupiter-ascending-release-pushed-to-2015

Saw the trailer over the weekend.  Looked like it could easily be a confusing mess.  Released Wachowski Brothers were attached and assumed it would be a confusinf mess.

Two Things

1) They clearly heard all the stuff from the first trailer about the color vs. black & white

2) They clearly decided that "Fuck it - we are assuming everyone has read the book"

So yeah - there is A LOT revealed in the trailer so just know that going in

Two Things

1) They clearly heard all the stuff from the first trailer about the color vs. black & white

2) They clearly decided that "Fuck it - we are assuming everyone has read the book"

So yeah - there is A LOT revealed in the trailer so just know that going in

I think I'm the only person who was NOT required to read this book in my adolescent years.

I wasn't required to read it, I just read it.

The black and white photography doesn't look like it was filmed to be black and white. Apparently some of those scenes were color in the original trailer, so am I just assuming they paid people to recolor the flick, or did we just jump the gun on the whole WHERE'S THE BLACK AND WHITE?

Maybe the legit didn't want to advertise it to the tweens as a black and white movie and wanted to hit them with that after they got their money.

IMO, too much self-awareness ruins these apparently "so bad they're good" movies. It doesn't work when the people behind the film are in on the joke,

The real humor is in the earnestness they were made with. See: The Room, Batman and Robin, Troll 2.

• Like 2