DVDVR Message Board

April 2024 Wrestling Talk

32 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

No, it was all very vague, perhaps purposefully so.  He also said something to the effect of "early in your career," which would rule out Osprey and Okada.  BUT it's also conceivable that HHH doesn't know they're veterans.  Or maybe he's such a Kool Aid drinker he believes your career hasn't even started, and is thus still early, until you've worked New York brother.

Me, I just assumed he said "early in your career" so vets he knows personally, like Edge, wouldn't feel like they were catching strays.

In the end, a guy who is supposed to be on the business side now, and had the best weekend of his career as an exec, doesn't need to be punching down at anyone.  To paraphrase a line from a great work of cinema, "Are you such a fucking loser you can't tell when you've won?"

I just guess MJF because he's real young, his contract status is unknown, and he notoriously doesn't work a hard schedule (I know it was his gimmick, but still...)

• Like 1

On 4/13/2024 at 3:48 PM, Log said:

Speaking of Bret. I was just thinking today, did he ever have a 1-on-1 match with Dustin? I’d assume they did at some point during the Golddust run. 

WWF TV-Taping @ Stockton
January 1996 @ Memorial Civic Auditorium in Stockton, California (United States of America)
Bret Hart defeated Goldust

WWF @ White Plains
January 1996 @ Westchester County Center in White Plains, New York (United States of America)
Bret Hart (c) defeated Goldust [WWF World Heavyweight Title Match]

WWF RAW is WAR #217
July 1997 @ Northlands Coliseum in Edmonton, Alberta (Canada)

WWF RAW is WAR #226
September 1997 @ Madison Square Garden in New York City, New York (United States of America)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I guess it's alright. I just wish WWE would go back to the classic belts of the late 80s-90s before the attitude era. 

I love those designs, they’re the ones I grew up on.  Unfortunately, the company logo isn’t prominent enough on them and that’s the name of the game today.  It’s still equal parts hilarious and sad to me that their top titles are nothing but the company logo.  Maybe within the next year it’ll be the company logo and some space reserved for sponsorship.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I guess it's alright. I just wish WWE would go back to the classic belts of the late 80s-90s before the attitude era. 

The people who buy officially licensed replica belts already have those, a lot of them will now go out and buy this one.

3 hours ago, Mister TV said:

The people who buy officially licensed replica belts already have those, a lot of them will now go out and buy this one.

Change the hue? 

My issue with that belt design is not so much the logo's prominence as it is the logo itself.

If that were an '80s version of the logo minus the "F" (like the one they used on at least some of John Cena's throwback merch, IIRC), that would be great. 

This ugly-ass modification of the Scratch Logo is the problem. Terrible. They should have updated that logo a long time ago. 

• Like 2

I am not a big belt nerd, but isn't the whole thing about those belts (WWE's) is that some if not all of those designs aren't patented by WWF/E? It was cool back then cause they weren't made by the same person so they looked different. However, at some point, most of the belts were patterned after WWE's belts. Hell, other than UFC, everyone in MMA's belts looked like pro wrestling belts from the late 80s/90s. Just insert whatever promotion's logo and you got your MMA belt. There are literally several hundred of them floating around.

So from that perspective, I can get why you make the logo the centerpiece. You own the logo even if you don't own the design.

As much as I don't like the alphabet orgs in boxing, they have largely had the same belts for 40 or 50 years. Just little modifications over the years. What use to be the big two (the WBC and WBA) are the same, the green belt and the black belt/gold with hints of red respectively. The IBF, which came into prominence in the 80s, is the red belt with a little gold ornament hanging off of it. The WBO, which became the established fourth org in the mid 90s to early 2000s, is more brown/maroon-ish. The "super" version of the WBA title looks like the Ring Magazine belt used in the Rocky movies. Not going to blow your socks off, but they have a sense of importance, prestige, lineage, and respect. 

• Like 3

It feels like Triple H is basing decisions solely on what sooths my ocd lol. All men's titles back to black straps. All women's titles on white straps. All Raw titles are branded World. All Smackdown titles branded WWE (I would assume they unveil new WWE Tag Titles on SD this week too).

Feel like the new World Tag Title designs are worlds better than the current design. It also has that subtle note of looking very similar to the world tilte & women's world title. Conveying that Tag Titles are as important as singles titles.

Now if he fixes that hideous IC Title design we'll be all the way back in business. I fucking hate the look of that thing. Worst design in the company.

• Like 2

I wonder if “traditionalist” HHH ever goes back to a single world title.  We all complain about AEW’s multiple lower belts but honestly, having two supposedly top tier, “world heavyweight” level belts in one company is more egregious.

• Like 3

You'd need a champ willing to float between two shows to have that, and that guy would probably be overexposed quickly in the bargain showing up twice a week on two three-hour shows. 

I think two world champs for two shows is fine. Boxing has disputed world champs sanctioned by different federations, so a global wrestling company having two wrestling shows each sanctioning its own champ seems reasonable to me. 

Edited by SirSmUgly
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, zendragon said:

Supposedly each network wants its own Champ. If it was me I'd have the IC and US as your brand specific "regional" belts and your World title be your floater

They had Roman unify the belts, but then made a new belt with brand new lineage because Roman didn't work that much, right?  I hope I got that straight, I don't really watch WWE.  This whole thing is nuts and I just want titles to mean something and make sense, in general.  Anyway, what title has lineage back to Bruno?  Or is it none of them? 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

They had Roman unify the belts, but then made a new belt with brand new lineage because Roman didn't work that much, right?  I hope I got that straight, I don't really watch WWE.  This whole thing is nuts and I just want titles to mean something and make sense, in general.  Anyway, what title has lineage back to Bruno?  Or is it none of them? 

So, Roman unified the belts because Vince was in a "Double Champ" obsession.  The Networks want a "World" champ, so the World Title was necessary as the Shows are separate brands that in theory aren't supposed to interact outside of Mania season (and occasionally Survivor Series).  

Cody has THE belt, that dates all the way back to Buddy Rodgers and Bruno.  Noticible that they've stopped calling it the "Universal" title and back to just "WWE".  Haven't seen if they "retired" the Universal Title yet or still have the Uni and WWE running concurrently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

the whole "find some way to split the titles" was a thing I read going into WM39 but there really wasn't a logical way to make that happen so it seemed like people who were used to Raw and Smackdown champs who wanted to return to Raw and Smackdown champs

9 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I believe the title Cody has now has the WWE, WWE World Heavyweight and Universal lineage. It’s all of them. 

5 minutes ago, Raziel said:

So, Roman unified the belts because Vince was in a "Double Champ" obsession.  The Networks want a "World" champ, so the World Title was necessary as the Shows are separate brands that in theory aren't supposed to interact outside of Mania season (and occasionally Survivor Series).  

Cody has THE belt, that dates all the way back to Buddy Rodgers and Bruno.  Noticible that they've stopped calling it the "Universal" title and back to just "WWE".  Haven't seen if they "retired" the Universal Title yet or still have the Uni and WWE running concurrently.

Yeah, I just read the history of the title and I need to make a flow chart or something.  So if I have it right, Cody's belt is essentially the 2002 Brock "unified" championship (itself the old WWF and WCW titles, essentially), plus the 2002 Triple H Raw championship, plus the Universal title.  And then there's the other belt that tafka Punishment Martinez has, which was just created out of thin air.  Jesus.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Haha 1

Quick check of WWE's site has Cody listed as Universal Champ, but they slickly reverted the Universal Belt back to the Blue one, so I'm guessing it's going the way of Brand Split v1's World Title and getting retired.

The Cody's WWE Title is the eventual unification of the WCW, World v1, and Universal, but as is usually done with Unifications that end up being permanent in the US, one of the belts lineage just stops (in this case, of course it was going to be the WCW, World v1, and now Uni, because they're not gonna stop the lineage of the WWE belt).

Although way back after Split v1, when they unified the Tag belts, they retired THE WWE tag belts, not the other ones they started for SmackDown, so the, uh... I think current RAW belts only date back to 2010 or so.

To be fair, the WWE lineage still isn't as complicated as the NWA belt.

Edited by Raziel

The former RAW Tags were renamed to the World Tag Tag Team Championship, those belts have history from 2002.

https://www.wwe.com/titlehistory/raw-tag-team-championship. The link is not fully updated yet, but the link shows the history and new name is in the page.

The blue Smackdown tags were introduced in 2016.

https://www.wwe.com/titlehistory/smackdown-tag-team-championship

46 minutes ago, Kang said:

The former RAW Tags were renamed to the World Tag Tag Team Championship, those belts have history from 2002.

https://www.wwe.com/titlehistory/raw-tag-team-championship. The link is not fully updated yet, but the link shows the history and new name is in the page.

The blue Smackdown tags were introduced in 2016.

https://www.wwe.com/titlehistory/smackdown-tag-team-championship

Oh god I hate to open this can of worms, but what happened to the original tag title lineage?

10 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Oh god I hate to open this can of worms, but what happened to the original tag title lineage?

Retired in 2010. https://www.wwe.com/titlehistory/world-tag-team-championship

They kept the 2002 introduced belts title history, and then used the penny design. And then the red strap and silver penny design.

Edited by Kang