DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 3/13 - 3/19/2024 - Takin' Care of Business

13 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

It looks setup for an obvious Bucks/FTR final, so I'm assuming something different happens, but yeah either way pretty underwhelming overall.

My favorite part of Rampage was the little video package on Queen Aminata, putting a tiny bit of hype on her upcoming ROH match with Red Velvet next week. Great minor touch.

The Young Bucks win the AEW World Tag Team Championship to tie the series with FTR 2-2. The Elite hold the AEW World Tag Team Championship and AEW Continental Championship.

13 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I don't get how the Wild Cards work in this and it screwed everything up to me. Lets hope they aren't just jobber teams because it looks like there are already a few obvious ones on there.

The wild card teams are just one of the "play in" matches at the bottom. So one wild card will be the winner of Best Friends/Callis Family while the other wild card will be the winner of Infantry/HoB, putting the winners of those matches into the main bracket. Unsure why they called them "wild cards."

I saw a few other comments online that were also unsure what was going on just from looking at the graphic, they could have made it a little more clear those were play-in matches. Why HoB isn't in the tournament proper since they rarely lose is odd. Did they already stop doing the rankings?

1 minute ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Did they already stop doing the rankings?

Sure seems that way. Don’t think they’ve been on the website or mentioned on TV in weeks.

4 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I saw a few other comments online that were also unsure what was going on just from looking at the graphic, they could have made it a little more clear those were play-in matches. Why HoB isn't in the tournament proper since they rarely lose is odd. Did they already stop doing the rankings?

Also get the impression the Infantry may get the win over HOB based on them confronting FTR last week, which I'm not keen on. Have to assume a Chicken involvement to cost HOB, but regardless Brody should be squashing the Captain and his pal.

• Like 2

I love most things AEW do, but those tournament brackets are disgracefully bad. They couldn't even stretch to 16 teams?! If you bring in maybe two NJPW teams (don't need to be Japan based either, why not West Coast Wrecking Crew?), two CMLL and two indy teams, you can easily make a 32 team bracket. Not this bullshit procession to Bucks getting a win back over FTR in the final.

Where are Moxley and Claudio? Gates Of Agony? You gave Lionhook their silly team name, sling them in the mix to progress their storyline a bit. The Gunns, The Acclaimed, does having a six man tag title make them allergic to normal tag matches? AEW is so great when it ignores all the silly unwritten rules that WWE falls back on, I wish they could have ignored the one that says wrestling fans are too dim to understand large and complex tournaments, you know, like they have in nearly every other sport.

• Like 6

It’s a shame they combined the Continental into a single belt, because the world needs the aesthetic of Okada walking out in a boss ass suit dripped out like Ultimo Dragon, while Matt and Nick channel their Cutler and stooge their ass off for him.

I wasn’t sure about debuting him as a heel but I was dead wrong. This act rules, and then just imagine the (hopeful) Omega confrontation leading up to Wembley. Oh man. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

It’s a shame they combined the Continental into a single belt, because the world needs the aesthetic of Okada walking out in a boss ass suit dripped out like Ultimo Dragon, while Matt and Nick channel their Cutler and stooge their ass off for him.

That's what made the J-Crown and AJPW Triple Crown.

1 hour ago, SturmCRF said:

I love most things AEW do, but those tournament brackets are disgracefully bad. They couldn't even stretch to 16 teams?! If you bring in maybe two NJPW teams (don't need to be Japan based either, why not West Coast Wrecking Crew?), two CMLL and two indy teams, you can easily make a 32 team bracket. Not this bullshit procession to Bucks getting a win back over FTR in the final.

Where are Moxley and Claudio? Gates Of Agony? You gave Lionhook their silly team name, sling them in the mix to progress their storyline a bit. The Gunns, The Acclaimed, does having a six man tag title make them allergic to normal tag matches? AEW is so great when it ignores all the silly unwritten rules that WWE falls back on, I wish they could have ignored the one that says wrestling fans are too dim to understand large and complex tournaments, you know, like they have in nearly every other sport.

This might sound like hyperbole, but it's not....outside of the Best Friends not getting a tag title run, because that is never going to be topped to me, as the most disappointed I've been in AEW.  That's a barebones insult of a bracket with a brutally telegraphed ending.  Hell, I would've preferred an obvious FTR/BCC final despite being semi tired of Mox.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They're probably calling those under-brackets "wild cards" because that's what they call the play-in opening rounds in baseball. But yeah, it makes zero sense for HOB to be in those brackets, especially since they should probably win this whole thing. I'm baffled by the lack of Mox/Claudio, unless there's an injury or Mox finally getting to take his vacation...

• Like 2

Forget about the tag team tournament. One match in, Toni Storm and Mariah May are clearly the best team. What a fun squash! Like a pair of beautiful Road Warriors.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Forget about the tag team tournament. One match in, Toni Storm and Mariah May are clearly the best team. What a fun squash! Like a pair of beautiful Road Warriors.

The spinning side slam is so great.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Opening tag was pretty good, first half got the comedy out of the way, second half was solid wrestling with the greatest hits. Sad that OC is reduced to tag team midcard, kinda wish they would just give him a few weeks off to rest and refresh and then come back hot. But I also understand with so many wrestlers now, not wanting to lose your spot on TV.

Women’s tag squash was great, a true squash where both Toni and Mariah looked like badasses. Rosa as Deonna’s partner was a bit underwhelming but will be a good match I think, Rosa isn’t afraid to be a little stiff and throw in a shotgun dropkick or two.

Heard about Takeshita and Komander having a fantastic match, and I think we got to see about 70% of it. Wanted Lard Lad to do his wheelbarrow German suplex, but he based very well in general for Komander who hit his stuff very clean.

Main was kind of frustrating because I wish they would do more with Top Flight (although they do at least get an actual spot in the Tag Tournament) as a tag team. I remembered before the announcers said it that Taven and Bennett were from Boston, so of course they get a big hometown match and win. It was solid stuff but also falls into the discourse of “too many matches with no story or meaning”. And as someone who generally enjoys Strong and The Kingdom in the ring, and enjoyed their big angle for longer than most, I honestly wouldn’t miss them if they weren’t around, as opposed to Top Flight.

Add me to the “extremely underwhelmed by the tag tournament brackets” list.

Rampage has slowly become the most underrated Wrestling show on TV (or streaming). Definitely below A and B, but much higher for my tastes than the action on the other channels. OC/Trent v Dark Order was good. The vest done up is a better presentation, but Uno loves to show it off. There was some officiating issues that I blame the teams for, but it was good. I very much like OC and Trent as a team. A Righteous video package, and for what reason? Tournament entry, uh, nope. Please free Big Dutch from Vincent. This team was easily handled in a handi-cap match on a PPV. It's over. Please, please, please: Dutch and Archer! No begrudging Vincent his money - just cash the checks and stand in the corner, if you wouldn't mind. Angelo/Zak Knight segment was to the point. Great angle on Ang's punch. I love that they aren't wasting time to get to the match. Knight looked kinda impressive on Honor Club - what do you say @DreamBroken ? I wish for a day when I can tag again and move between pages. Toni/Mariah squash was as good as squashes get. This team is outrageously fun. Can it be - Timeless Toni a babyface! I can get into a Rosa/Deonna team. Rosa needs help on the mic, and to carry a bit more of the work load. Deonna might need a bit of an upper echelon roster rub. I suspect heel Deonna will surprise a few ppl. Amanita video was good. They don't cross promote ROH nearly enough (WBD?). Tag Title Brackets look fine. Tho, the complaints filed in the thread are completely understandable and warranted. I was hoping for at least 16 pairings, but whatever. Mox/Claudio injury report? WTF. Komander v Takeshita was wonderful. Run this back a few times over like it's ECW99 and Tajiri v Crazy - I doubt anybody will complain, especially those that don't watch the C show. Serena Deeb video with more of the same shit. Big Deeb fan, but time to move on from the single note samba. Still, I back the play of video packages to get ppl over. Roddy/Kingdom v 'Every Flight is a Red Eye Flight', uh alright then. Terrific bout to close out a terrific show. Ha, was Matt Taven trying to be a cool heel with his Celtics jersey. Nice try 'I'm Matt Taven'. Love to see the Flights take the Trios crown. Roderick Strong is so goddamn great. Total pro. Let's get him running thru the solid workers in the mid and bottom of the card now. Another terribly fun show (on a Saturday morning). 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

Wanted Lard Lad to do his wheelbarrow German suplex

They did the German where Komander did the full flip into landing on his face instead. Given Takeshita's size, Komander's a little small to do anything but on a German. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

Opening tag was pretty good, first half got the comedy out of the way, second half was solid wrestling with the greatest hits. Sad that OC is reduced to tag team midcard, kinda wish they would just give him a few weeks off to rest and refresh and then come back hot. But I also understand with so many wrestlers now, not wanting to lose your spot on TV.

I like this Trent/OC team, but I think you're right on the refresh. I wouldn't be surprised if Big Willie Hobbs finishes the job on that back in the Wild Card round. 

Women’s tag squash was great, a true squash where both Toni and Mariah looked like badasses. Rosa as Deonna’s partner was a bit underwhelming but will be a good match I think, Rosa isn’t afraid to be a little stiff and throw in a shotgun dropkick or two.

Haha, love that closing. Not that I expect it to be the match of the night, but I find myself more drawn to this tag bout than anything else on next week's excellent card. 

• Like 1