DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 3/6 - 3/12/2024 - The Last Great American Dynasty

1 minute ago, evidence said:

I'm not as down on Jericho as most people online appear to be these days, but I believe that he needs to take some real time off. After being squashed by Hobbs and then later losing to Takeshita by his own submission hold like he's Kerry Von Erich against Taurus Bulba, it felt like Jericho being written off so he could freshen up his character. I appreciate the fact that he didn't get his wins back. Since he doesn't appear to be going anywhere, he should put over Shane Taylor who's overdue a win outside of ROH. 

Speaking of Shane Taylor, he needs to go back to the boxing trunks ASAP. The tights are bad look for him. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Speaking of Shane Taylor, he needs to go back to the boxing trunks ASAP. The tights are bad look for him. 

Absofuckinutely! It's such a better presentation for him, and it matters. I just don't see him getting over with the audience at large in yellow spandex. Wrestlers without the million dollar physique shouldn't be afraid to look to ECW for costume inspiration. Like, would Raven or Sandman or New Jack etc etc gotten over displaying their physiques? The ROH back to the tights thing in the early 2000s was a huge mistake. I'm glad Kevin Steen figured that out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Raven was jacked as hell though. Tommy Dreamer, ECW fans hated him when he'd wrestle shirtless with the suspenders, but as soon as he started wearing a shirt, suddenly they accepted him.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Doesn't Mercedes seem to be the obvious answer?

To me, the head fake would be to bring Kamille out, have her turn on Deonna, and have Mercedes make the save. You get to stack your women's division even more. 

AEW has a chance to do something really cool with their women, and adding unique looks like Kamille and Mercedes would really help. I know Kamille isn't exactly "outside the box" in terms of her aesthetic, but she's tall. Like, she'd tower over the women. WWE's women are getting cookie cutter again. I can't tell a Fallon Henley from a Tatum Paxley. Or a Maxine Dupri from a Tiffany Stratton. Kamille being Toni's "new toy" that pushes Mariah further toward turning on her is the way to go, I think.

Edited by Just Dave
  • Like 2

I'm pretty sure they're going to turn Stat at some point soon. If they do, putting Kamille and Bayne with her as a team of jock bully powerhouses is definitely the way to go.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AxB said:

Raven was jacked as hell though. Tommy Dreamer, ECW fans hated him when he'd wrestle shirtless with the suspenders, but as soon as he started wearing a shirt, suddenly they accepted him.

I like that workmanlike Dreamer look too. He ruined it later with polka dots and added flare, but the shirt and simple dark pants were perfect for that character. When Raven's t-shirt would get ripped off we could see he was in good enough shape to not wear it, but the shirts were kinda neat. When he later stopped wearing it his look wasn't nearly as effective, but that may be more the bad eyeliner etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I'm pretty sure they're going to turn Stat at some point soon. If they do, putting Kamille and Bayne with her as a team of jock bully powerhouses is definitely the way to go.

I was recently thinking how most tag teams nowadays are shooting for Midnight Express or RnR Express, but where are the Road Warriors or Skyscrapers of today? We need to have more teams of big dudes/gals just wrecking fools.

• Like 5

Bear Country are a comedy act just now, not a couple of brawny brutish thugs. But then, they're only one angle away from being those beefy bastards again.

5 hours ago, Log said:

I was recently thinking how most tag teams nowadays are shooting for Midnight Express or RnR Express, but where are the Road Warriors or Skyscrapers of today? We need to have more teams of big dudes/gals just wrecking fools.

Malakai/Brody could definitely be the modern version of this in AEW. Gates of Agony job too much but they could probably be heated back up.

Thought they had something going with Bill and (Brian) Cage before they abruptly dropped that for the Bill/Starks team.

• Like 1

I really wish they'd send the Bears to New Japan for a year. The Jack Perry loan has me hoping for more. It's a great way to fine tune things and freshen up. I've often wondered what Private Quen and Isaiah Party would look like after some reps in New Japan rings. The Gates, for example, have looked a lot better since their Tag League run. Tho, they could use more time overseas.  And New Japan clearly needs some fresh talent.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Log said:

But no one is wrecking fools left and right! I need to see some fools get wrecked!

Lance Archer and Dutch. They've looked great together on ROH and, I think, Rampage-Baby. They just need to get Vincent to stand in the corner rather than the apron.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AxB said:

Bear Country are a comedy act just now, not a couple of brawny brutish thugs. But then, they're only one angle away from being those beefy bastards again.

They were my first thought, too.  But yeah, they’d need to segue away from the weightlifting salad tossers gimmick first.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

They were my first thought, too.  But yeah, they’d need to segue away from the weightlifting salad tossers gimmick first.

They should become bears again. Everyone's scared of bears.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

Is Kamille any good? (Serious question as I have not watched NWA since early in it's run.)

I really liked her as Aldis’ second during the early NWA power run. The few actual matches I saw with her were not particularly strong, but she was working greenhorns. I think she has potential. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tbarrie said:

They should become bears again. Everyone's scared of bears.

You know what you are? You're like a big bear with claws and with fangs...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

Is Kamille any good? (Serious question as I have not watched NWA since early in it's run.)

I thought she got really good really quick and became excellent. Great big match worker to the point that her matches were almost always standout highlights of the NWA PPVs.  Top notch matches with Thunder, Serena, Leyla Hirsch, KiLynn King, Natalia Markova, Kenzie Paige, and more. 

• Like 3