DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2024 Wrestling Talk

12 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

You know, I don't even remember, but it wasn't that. IIRC it was more like "Lemmy... uuugh" and Mr. 5000 said something like "what are you talking about" and laughed uncomfortably.

I have a poser friend who also loves Life of Agony to an unreasonable extent and she is way better looking than Juliya ever was (Juliya has been reincarnated in another body as a spike-haired poser punk announcer that does internet and radio work btw, can't remember what her name is. She walks around with these GIANT liberty spikes in bondage clothes for work.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9uXm0-tZ1g&ab_channel=SteelPantherVEVO

Malice Munn?

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Sheamus has apparently deleted his Twitter account.  

Good for him.

Any reason why he deleted it ?

Has he been tweeting bad things lately ?

1 hour ago, AxB said:

No, but Max Caster has.

That was such a weak line by him that I kinda questioned whether it was part of this whole botching the raps/Jay not letting him speak much thing that's happening on TV. If not, I'm hoping they are able to move past it and not jettison their heat/merchandise sales too much as a result

(For anyone curious, he was arguing with some random and went back into the guy's tweets and called his girlfriend bad-looking. The guy's caption was like "she kinda bad" so it was meant to be a play on that, but it came off kinda mean cause the chick was only 18, plus it's just not that clever)

21 hours ago, AxB said:

For all of his long, long WWE run, Chris Jericho was unique in that he liked to change things up. Not only would he change his look and character from time to time, but he'd change his catchphrases, even his speaking cadence in interviews. And any time something he was doing got properly over, he would then stop doing it before it got played out. 

So it's a bit frustrating that in AEW for the last five years, he's been on his Greatest Hits tour. Whenever he changes things up, it's "We could bring back the Painmaker" or "We could bring back Lionheart*". Never anything fresh and new, other than the fact that his finishing move has a back elbow since 2019 (and that's a real "I need a move I can do when I'm 70" thing).

Of course, the other thing that kept him fresh was that he would disappear for months at a time to go and be a singer (or work in other forms of non-wrestling entertainment), whilst he's never been away from AEW for more than a couple of weeks at a time. Then again, he's now the second oldest Wrestler on the roster, and Billy Gunn is unlikely to get upgraded into the Sting 'Living Legend' spot. So perhaps he thinks that if he sticks around, at some point he's getting that treatment. Which, I can see his retirement tour being good, but at the moment he's a bit... in WWE, in the scripted entertainment era, he always seemed a little more real and less plastic than most of the boys. But in AEW where everyone seems real, he's the most plastic person there. If he hadn't signed for AEW in 2019, but got cast in a TV show or something, and then he returned to wrestling in 2024, he would get that legend returns deal.

* If he's returning to his CMLL days, his name should be in Spanish. He was Corazon De Leon in Mexico, he was only Lionheart in Japan and USA/Canada.

Chris Jericho getting the Paul Pierce treatment ('They don't love you like that') after Sting got the Kobe farewell tour would be *chef's kiss*.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/9/2024 at 2:20 PM, Curt McGirt said:

I forgot that the other Frankie hit ("Two Tribes") was also a lyrical and visual lesson in '80s geopolitics. 

My wife was on some subreddit that had a thread about old political music videos and I scored her tons of points (while simultaneously horrifying her) by pointing her to the Land of Confusion and Two Tribes videos.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'm sure "99 Luftballoons" had one too.

She needed my help to get past the obvious ones!

• Like 1

Why has nobody ever made a mashup of 99 Red Balloons and Mr Brightside.

The only two songs ever to include the lyric Open Up My Eager Eye.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, AxB said:

Why has nobody ever made a mashup of 99 Red Balloons and Mr Brightside.

The only two songs ever to include the lyric Open Up My Eager Eye.

Same reason we don't have a mashup of Pantera's "Walk" and Tears for Fears' "Everybody Wants to Rule the World".

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, nate said:

Same reason we don't have a mashup of Pantera's "Walk" and Tears for Fears' "Everybody Wants to Rule the World".

Everybody wants to respect, walk. Respect, walk
Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?

• Haha 1

And also that Miro has moved back to Bulgaria. And it was amicable. This is all per CJ. So who knows if it's a permanent move or what, but I expected this after their weird as hell angle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

reading the Wikipedia entry about the 2005 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory:

Johnny Depp was the only actor Burton considered for the role, although Dwayne Johnson was Burton's second choice in case Depp was unavailable

instead of Oompa Loompa songs, the Rock would cut promos on the kids after they fall into chocolate rivers, or turn into blueberries, or fall into a garbage disposal, or get shrunk by a teleportation device

(yes I know it wouldn't have worked like that)

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

reading the Wikipedia entry about the 2005 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory:

instead of Oompa Loompa songs, the Rock would cut promos on the kids after they fall into chocolate rivers, or turn into blueberries, or fall into a garbage disposal, or get shrunk by a teleportation device

(yes I know it wouldn't have worked like that)

Oompa Loompa Streudleedoo

• Haha 6

oompa loompa, hey roodie poo, The Rock has another question for you

The Rock being Willy Wonka in 2005 still seems more normal than how Michael Jackson thought he could get a studio to make a movie where he played Willy Wonka in the 2000s

(unfortunately for our curiosity, Michael Jackson probably had a will, unlike Prince, so they haven't found and released Michael Jackson's "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" soundtrack)

• Haha 2