DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA XL - 4/6 & 4/7/2024

Dolfan in NYC

19 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

One thing I'm interested in is who (outside the main events) gets the big crazy entrances. Who's gonna get a major band to play them out this year? Who's gonna get the other super-extra treatment like Bianca with the dance troupe or Seth with the LA Orchestra conductor to conduct the crowd's sing-along? I have a soft spot for this stuff in part because WM17 was the only time I got to see Motorhead live, and in part because I'm a theater kid at heart despite not having ever gotten to do theater.

Motionless In White is doing Rhea’s entrance.

15 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

It would be cool if Paramore played Bayley out to the ring. 

Bayley said today it’s not happening, but did tweet out an official video package of the Iyo feud set to Hayley William’s Simmer. 

3 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I don't see the 39 set on this list for some reason. 

#5 was meant to be XXXIX but I missed an X out. Perils of using Roman numerals. Thanks for noticing.

Edited by The Natural
  • Thanks 1

WrestleMania XXXVI was the first two night WrestleMania. I'd say the best night of each as a top to bottom show were:

WrestleMania XXXVI: Night 1. Close but Night 1. Night 1 had the best WrestleMania match in The Undertaker vs. AJ Styles.

WrestleMania XXXVII: Night 1 by far with Bianca Belair vs. Sasha Banks the best match of WrestleMania.

WrestleMania XXXVIII: Night 1 by far with Cody Rhodes vs. Seth Rollins the best WrestleMania match followed by Steve Austin vs. Kevin Owens same night

WrestleMania XXXIX: Night 1. Very close between Night 1 and Night 2. Night 2 had the best WrestleMania match though with Gunther vs. Sheamus vs. Drew McIntyre. *****.

2 hours ago, Infinit said:

Anyone in Philly? How's the weather looking like for tonight?

Well, I’m an or so south but it’s partly cloudy and windy, FWIW

• Like 1

The prime logo is on the centre of the mat. No colors for this version just black outlines. The assorted wrestle news out there said the logo is for WWE PLE's only.

The logo is also on some of the turnbuckles.

Edited by Kang

The cold weather in an open air stadium in Philly lead to Becky dressing like Santa Claus. Meanwhile the band playing Rhea out dressed up like her. Hearing about Becky's health issues made me set my expectations accordingly. Sick or not, Becky held up her end of the match and the finished product was fine, though not anything super memorable. The Riptide into the buckle looked nasty.

The tag title match was the expected clusterfuck, but there weren't any spots that looked to hospitalize anyone. This was a creative enough way to split the titles back up, though Waller and Theory are the least interesting choice. That ladder buckling while Miz and Priest were up there looked like it was moments away from causing a botch. Truth got his lifetime achievement award, I wonder how long he and Miz end up keeping them.

The lucha guys tag match would have been a decent Raw or SD match but didn't seem like anything special here. It looked like a vehicle for the football guys guest spot.

I went to get a snack and missed almost all of Uso vs Uso. It seemed like the hype package was longer than the actual match.

Odd that the women's trios match wasn't in the cooler spot. This was basically a Jade squash.

If anything could put some oomph on this show after the last three mediocre matches it would be Sami and Gunther. Both guys got to play to their strengths with Sami taking an ass beating and Gunther being his vicious self. Holy shit Sami broke out the turnbuckle brainbuster (this is the first time he's hit it in WWE right?)! As much as I wanted Gable to dethrone Gunther, this was underdog Sami at his best.

The amount of offense Cody and Rollins kept getting in continuously surprised me and every time I thought they were going to take it home the longer and longer it went. Going in we all know the limitations Rock had and even in a tag situation this was never-ending. On several occasions I thought there was going to be a swerve and the faces would actually win. Per cagematch, this was 44:34. All the other wrestling on the card - 1:20:12

Splitting WM into two nights because of what a massive slog the show was getting to be was a good idea, but they just padded it so much with promos, adds, and all other manner of filler that seven matches (three of which were pretty short) took almost four hours.
This was a one match show. I wouldn't say anything was actively bad, but almost all of it was just Raw/Smackdown level.

Things I Remember From The First Night of Wrestlemania 40:

Becky Lynch and Rhea Ripley had a fun match, lots of ways to get to a pumphandle slam

Spotzz in the Tag Team title ladder match. Lots of spots. There's two different champs now too. Splitting between Awesome Truth and the Roofie Patrol.

Jason Kelce is here to help out Rey and Andrade. That match was fun-ish. Not really as good as Rey/Dom last year. Congrats to Carlito on wearing a shirt in that weather. Smart man.

Good Uso beats Evil Uso. Always amusing to see "MAIN EVENT JEY USO" for matches where he's working halfway through the card. Gotta aspire to have a spot that's better than your spot.

Jade looking like a star again in that six man tag.

Somebody finally beats Gunther. Guessing that Gunther's off to WWE title country as soon as he can leave the country. Also guessing Sami and Gable are on a collision course. Sami with the upset "winning with a relative in the front row" victory. It really is a new era in the WWE, Hunter.

Congrats to the Rock on not (obviously) hurting himself tonight and on taking more bumps than you'd expect. Heels win night one because duh. Tomorrow night it's Clusterfuck Rules for the title.

72,543 fans, they beat ALL-IN.

The Undisputed WWE Tag Team Championship is dissolved.  Both main brands got their own respective tags belts and champs again.

Mmmm Wing-Stop and Prime.

Cody did some kinda X-Box Pedigree on The Rock. The Rock was good in the ring.

Heading into the second half of the show I was thinking "man... this has been kinda underwhelming"  especially Jey Uso vs. Jimmy Uso which I thought had a chance to be a sleeper this weekend... 

But then we got the Jade, Bianca and Naomi squash which was pretty satisfying albeit I like Damage CTRL.. 

Sami Zayn getting a HUGE WM moment was great...   him and Gunther was peanut butter and jelly. 

The tag match main event was slow as hell to start but it picked up later on.  I expected Rollins to take the L but with Cody taking the L to The Rock I think he's finally finishing his story...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

If anything could put some oomph on this show after the last three mediocre matches it would be Sami and Gunther. Both guys got to play to their strengths with Sami taking an ass beating and Gunther being his vicious self. Holy shit Sami broke out the turnbuckle brainbuster (this is the first time he's hit it in WWE right?)! As much as I wanted Gable to dethrone Gunther, this was underdog Sami at his best.

Yes, first time. The Turnbuckle Brainbuster is a move I thought I'd never see in WWE. Hope Kevin Owens used the Package Piledriver tomorrow so he and Sami Zayn hold the secondary championships in WWE.

• Like 1

was that the longest Rock match ever (that wasn't an iron man match or battle royal)?

In theory, it would make a lot of sense for Seth Rollins' side quest to lead to McIntyre winning tomorrow, but hey, we're acting like Drew hasn't signed yet, so..

Roman Reigns/The Rock vs. Cody Rhodes/Seth Rollins went 44:31 which is the second longest WrestleMania main event ever behind Shawn Michaels vs. Bret Hart, 1:01:56 at WrestleMania XII.

• Like 1

Jimmy and Jey are all-time tag guys but, man, they stink as singles. Which is a shame for Jey, because he has all the outside the ring stuff you would want, but once the bell rings, he loses all the juice.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

Surprised Jey Uso vs. Jimmy Uso only went 11 minutes.

much too long, that was one of the worst matches ever put on a big show. so much fake drama that no one was buying and the weakest super kicks you've ever seen

positives: liked the mysterio match, truth got a great moment, jade looked awesome, sami/gunther was as good as expected