DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 2/5 - 2/11/2024 - Hey Hey, My My, Rocky Pushed Cody Aside

That was absolutely incredible. I had a few friends of mine who don’t watch wrestling anymore text me about it. Legitimately one of the best wrestling segments of all-time. Just absolute star power all around. 

• Like 1

So they either course corrected or fucked up the already planned angle with how things went down last Friday. Whatever the case at least its Cody/Roman at Wrestlemania and we are getting heel Rock along the way.

• Like 3

I think I'm just at a stage in life where I don't enjoy this "look how epic this is!" shit. I'm too cynical in nature to buy into all this spectacle, especially because all this spectacle is being employed to divert eyes from how morally bankrupt and reprehensible the people running this company have been for the last 40 years, and we're all just supposed to pretend like some poor girl wasn't g-ng r-ped in a closet at company headquarters just a couple years ago. It fucking sucks, and I'm not gonna pretend it doesn't. These same people knew what Vince McMahon was doing and now they get to go on with business as usual. But yeah, yay! It's gonna be a good show! The only story I wanna see finished in WWE is the one where Vince goes to prison for the rest of his life. Sorry. I really didn't mean to shit on this so hard because I know there are people who genuinely enjoy this product. It just really fucking bothers me that most people don't seem to care that this company is still chock full of both employees and performers who knew what Vince was doing and did absolutely nothing about it. 

• Like 6

About the press conference...

The chaotic nature and star power in the segment really fun. But at the same time it didn't make alot of sense. Rock turned because Cody said Peter Miavia would be disappointed in Roman? What?? Made absolutely no sense. It looked like Rock had a case of roid rage. And at the end, at the announce table having no fucking clue how to react to what happened was fantastic. I'm surprised Punk didn't say that Cody should've got his dog to bite Rock lol.

Edited by Infinit
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

If Cody loses or gets pinned at WM, again, I'm convinced that nothing will ever get better.

Trying not to be cynical.

I think (hope?) they will follow the pattern of 10, 20 and 30 with the big babyface celebration to end the show.

• Like 3

Well we have the right main event back on in Roman Reigns vs. Cody Rhodes II but what a mess dating back to last week's Smackdown when Rhodes unexpectedly stepped aside for The Rock. Unexpectedly as the story was Rhodes finishing the story, winning the championship Dusty Rhodes never held. Cody Rhodes has to win this time. Hoping we get Hollywood Rock, the best iteration. The World Heavyweight Championship is the consolation belt, means little bit despite me saying that and liking the design, I am curious to see who Seth Rollins faces. Will it be Gunther title for title or somebody else? Drew McIntyre? Haven't watched the WrestleMania Kickoff Event as I just read the recap after waking up.

12 minutes ago, Infinit said:

But at the same time it didn't make alot of sense. Rock turned because Cody said Peter Miavia would be disappointed in Roman? What??

at the risk of trying to make sense of this... in the context of Rock and fans chanting for Cody, it's not necessarily hard to believe that Rock would have a shorter temper than usual, especially since the storyline was that Cody brought Rock in, stepped aside, and then stepped back up within a week

"This motherfucker, brings me back one week to be in the main event, people cry about it, he changes his mind, and then he talks about *my* family"

You know, something like that.

The chaos level didn't exactly reach levels of Vince yelling "YOU RUINED IT" at Austin after he got into it with Tyson, but yeah, there's a reason for a heel to say on-screen that Cody ruined the great Rock/Roman dream match because he listened to his fans.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

at the risk of trying to make sense of this... in the context of Rock and fans chanting for Cody, it's not necessarily hard to believe that Rock would have a shorter temper than usual, especially since the storyline was that Cody brought Rock in, stepped aside, and then stepped back up within a week

"This motherfucker, brings me back one week to be in the main event, people cry about it, he changes his mind, and then he talks about *my* family"

You know, something like that.

The chaos level didn't exactly reach levels of Vince yelling "YOU RUINED IT" at Austin after he got into it with Tyson, but yeah, there's a reason for a heel to say on-screen that Cody ruined the great Rock/Roman dream match because he listened to his fans.

I’m pretty sure Rock was pissed because Cody said Roman’s grandfather (Amituana‘i) and Rock’s grandfather (Peter Maivia) would be disappointed in them both. But Cody slipped and made it sound like he was saying they would ONLY be disappointed in Rock.

Cody insulted both.

I could see how if you told someone in a real world situation that their grandfather, who died when that person was 10, would be ashamed of them.. that might go over poorly (even if the person saying that might not know the personal details).. around the world, plenty of people have been hit in the face for accidental or intentional insults

the whole thing isn't exactly the hit motion picture "Falling Down" when it comes to things accumulating and one thing just setting it all off but... I guess they're trying to get around last Friday

Ultimately I think even if they decided "wow, last Friday was a bad idea" and just memory hole it... it's probably for the best? A bit sloppy sure and doing it too much results in everything suffering, but I'd rather this than being stubborn.

1 hour ago, RonL21 said:

I figured he was one of the Blood Oath relatives. They always speak highly of him

The saying always used to be that all the South Pacific guys (so Including Haku, Barbarian, et al) were related in spirit if not fact. About the only people I’ve never heard included were the guys who worked as  the New Guinea Headhunters  and Bota the Witch Doctor.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I’m pretty sure Rock was pissed because Cody said Roman’s grandfather (Amituana‘i) and Rock’s grandfather (Peter Maivia) would be disappointed in them both. But Cody slipped and made it sound like he was saying they would ONLY be disappointed in Rock.

Cody insulted both.

The beauty of the heel logic is it was in response to Roman insulting Dusty. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Hologram Joe Frazier will stop the Cody/Roman match due to blood

anybody know TKO's stance on bringing back absurd bladejobs? feels like we've had a blood ban for long enough that bringing that back one of these days would actually make an impression

Not a usual WWE follower, but I watched the press conference. 

I'm wondering if they're going to use all of the bickering and uncertainty in the storyline to mooch New Japan's "Double Gold Dash" from a few years back. I say that having no idea what they're trying to accomplish by having Seth Rollins be a world title holder besides one of the brands needing a belt to fight over without stripping Roman of the two titles he's already got.

Rock tries to relegate Cody to the backseat, using his newfound power to make Rock/Roman happen on night one. Cody agrees to a match with Rollins on night one only on the condition that, since it wasn't his choice, he can put his Rumble win up to face the winner of Rock/Roman on night two.

The end result would very well be about as telegraphed as when New Japan did it, but weirder things have happened.

• Like 1

I’m not a big fan of critiquing wrestling writing because, I mean, it’s wrestling. But man, this is kind of egregious.

Why, exactly, did Cody bring Rock out last Friday in the first place? Like, his character did that. Not The Rock himself, not HHH, not Roman.

I mean, what? Unless they covered this somehow at the presser and I missed it, it’s the biggest WTF I’ve seen in a show storyline since Jack’s tattoo.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

I’m not a big fan of critiquing wrestling writing because, I mean, it’s wrestling. But man, this is kind of egregious.

Why, exactly, did Cody bring Rock out last Friday in the first place? Like, his character did that. Not The Rock himself, not HHH, not Roman.

I mean, what? Unless they covered this somehow at the presser and I missed it, it’s the biggest WTF I’ve seen in a show storyline since Jack’s tattoo.

They did cover it pretty well on Monday. Seth got in Cody’s head and fucked up his decision making as Drew pointed out, so much so that he wound up talking to the Rock and Cody gave his spot at WM to him. Then it became clear during the press conference that this was a power play by the Rock, it’s easy to fill in the blanks that Cody was vulnerable and even Roman called him indecisive which lead to Roman vs Rock, and Cody finally came to his senses seeing that this was all about Rock and Roman thinking their family is bigger than wrestling and saying fuck all of that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

BTW, I may think Seth’s gimmick is shit, but man, that dude has been done so incredibly dirty and been buried so hard over the last week. It’s crazy. Like, they kinda threaded the needle with Cody, but no one is even talking much about how Seth is being buried. Maybe it’s because he’s had his big WM moments and has been a top guy. Still, they’ve buried him and the title to the point where if you’re a casual fan how could you not wonder the same thing Roman and even Rock is saying about him. He looks like a total geek.

Is it cynical or logical for Rocky to just cost Cody the match now? If you could actually guarantee Rocky being around enough to be the godfather of the Bloodline (and no not that Godfather), that would freshen the group up quite a bit. I couldn't see dragging Cody's story out for another year, but if the goal is to get Roman in shouting distance of Bruno, they could do worse.

The real best move is Cody finishing his story by pinning Roman clean, then losing in his first defense to Gunther in the same manner he lost to Brodie Lee.