DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2024 Wrestling Talk

I was going to add this: Once you hitch your wagon to a certain style or attitude from a time period, you instantly date yourself. You don't come up with the Freebird concept and then not believe that five years from now you're instantly at dad rock status at age 30.

It always kills me watching old territory stuff and then in SMW about ten or so years later, you still got guys who use "brother" incessantly including Cornette to be fair or some other crutch of how guys cut promos a decade earlier. There is some disconnect that you're also trying to a grab a younger audience. With the Freebirds, at some point, it was suppose to be cheesy cause Hayes being Fantasia could only be cheesy. You cannot go back, get a snapshot of a certain time, and then transport it to the future to make it cool again.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

You cannot go back, get a snapshot of a certain time, and then transport it to the future to make it cool again.

Old dads Eric Bischoff and Hulk Hogan disagree with you, and they'll put on leather jackets and get on their Harleys to ride to your house and tell you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

At the same time, The Outrunners showed up in 2022 looking like divorced dads trying to be cool (by aping 80s aesthetics, rather than current ones), and the general reaction was “LOL that’s awesome”.

Now what a middle aged guy trying to look like a modern teenager looks like in 2024, I don’t know. Doing a combover version of Hook’s hairstyle is pretty implausible.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, AxB said:

At the same time, The Outrunners showed up in 2022 looking like divorced dads trying to be cool (by aping 80s aesthetics, rather than current ones), and the general reaction was “LOL that’s awesome”.

Now what a middle aged guy trying to look like a modern teenager looks like in 2024, I don’t know. Doing a combover version of Hook’s hairstyle is pretty implausible.

The thing is though they weren't doing that when it was popular and then tried to bring it back. Plus, there is a certain fondness for nostalgia now.

For example, when Pez Whatley turned on Jimmy Valiant in 1986, he was still talking like a black dude from 1974 using sucker and jive turkey. His promos should have came with a Bloodstone or Isley Brothers 8-track tape. However, I am pretty sure if I could remember that far back, my uncles were using that type of slang still cause you still get away it with somewhat. If some black dude in 1991 or 2001 tried that, that's instant fodder for ridicule. 

• Like 4

One gimmick that would probably be alarmingly realistic that probably wouldn't work in wrestling: the guy who is only there because his girlfriend is wrestling. Basically it'd be a takeoff of all the women who got onto TV because their boyfriend/husband is a wrestler. I know the whole "hot wife, dumb guy" dynamic is in various media and some people (mainly guys) hate that trope.

Maybe it'll be more wholesome if the hanger-on guy is actually a fan instead of someone who ends up hooking up with another woman in his heel turn. Of course if your booker has some issues with women, then the man would be doing a Dancin Stevie gimmick where the woman is 1995 Raven. Granted, I think Stevie probably did that sort of gimmick in the WWE.

It is nice of wrestling to have multiple recent cult leader gimmicks that don't involve a male cult leader just exclusively manipulating women. Then again, "powerful man bending women to his will" might hit too close to home for at least the WWE.

Someone could do the Star 80 suitcase pimp thing but I mean what's the endgame other than being a dork? Cause you're not going to do something abuse related. That and folks wouldn't get it.

As far as cult leaders, it got to a point with Callis where on three seperate occasions, they failed cause they didn't know how to integrate it into wrestling. It was like Russo or maybe Bruce were watching Dateline or 20/20 or whatever, making characters based off that. Hell, JR was even referencing those shows on TV covering cults in the wake of bunch of notable ones in the 1990s. It got to a point where they just said fuck it and outright called The Jackyl "The David Koresh of the WWF". It didn't work cause it's too on the nose plus he is going around and putting dots on girls foreheads in the crowd. You have to pick a lane. Is he just some weird dude or a manipulative psychopath? You got to pick one. He was doing that and then at the same time Taker and Bearer are trying to actually embalm a living person. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

One gimmick that would probably be alarmingly realistic that probably wouldn't work in wrestling: the guy who is only there because his girlfriend is wrestling. Basically it'd be a takeoff of all the women who got onto TV because their boyfriend/husband is a wrestler. I know the whole "hot wife, dumb guy" dynamic is in various media and some people (mainly guys) hate that trope.

Maybe it'll be more wholesome if the hanger-on guy is actually a fan instead of someone who ends up hooking up with another woman in his heel turn. Of course if your booker has some issues with women, then the man would be doing a Dancin Stevie gimmick where the woman is 1995 Raven. Granted, I think Stevie probably did that sort of gimmick in the WWE.

It is nice of wrestling to have multiple recent cult leader gimmicks that don't involve a male cult leader just exclusively manipulating women. Then again, "powerful man bending women to his will" might hit too close to home for at least the WWE.

Maybe less "hot wife, dumb guy" dynamic and more he's into something else besides wrestling, he could interfere in her matches so they could get to his Fustal practice on time and chime into her interviews talking about how many goals he's scored.

Michael Hayes was definitely trying to look more dorky than cool at times to get heat, and he did that as well as he did everything else. To do that you have to look like you’re still trying to look cool or tough or whatever the heel says he is. Hayes did that well too. 

For anybody doubting that that’s a thing, Jim Cornette recently said that BPP did that. He said he’d still mess up talking, but then roll with it as if he’d messed even worse. Then do it again next week. 

Gordy was the glue of the Freebirds all along, wasn't he? and once they started doing the Freebirds without Gordy, then...

Edit:

or to put it in Stooge terms..

Michael Hayes is Moe

Buddy Roberts is Larry

Terry Gordy is Curly

Jimmy Garvin is Shemp

and the rest are Joe Besser or Curly Joe DeRita

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, AxB said:

The PS in Michael PS Hayes stood for Purely Sexy and it was not, originally, ironic. But those three vitamins, A G and E came for him quickly.

Prissy Sissy

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

I feel like WWE tried this when they brought in Mike Bennett and Maria, but it didn't catch on and then Mike had his addiction issues and Maria had the 2 kids and they got released during the pandemic and here we are.

3 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

I feel like WWE tried this when they brought in Mike Bennett and Maria, but it didn't catch on and then Mike had his addiction issues and Maria had the 2 kids and they got released during the pandemic and here we are.

Mike and Maria was just another in Vince’s long history of booking couples wherein he thought the man wasn’t in the woman’s league so he booked them in a way that could fuck with their real life relationship.  What a piece of shit.  

• Like 1

"The skull represents the death of the holy and all Christians. The wings represent the Devil rising up from his seat in Hell to claim dominion over the Earth, and it's the colors of the American flag because that is where he will start his Unholy Kingdom, his eartly apostate being the professional wrestler Cody Rhodes."

• Haha 3