DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2024 Wrestling Talk

It doesn’t take too much for studios to find too many similarities for a certain IP and put the kibosh on it. They probably considered stuff like that but didn't want to get any legal action.

You can say you want to remake stuff like Cannonball Run and It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World but you still need to get the rights to it and somehow execute it correctly. That's asking a lot when actual major studios get it wrong.

8 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

It doesn’t take too much for studios to find too many similarities for a certain IP and put the kibosh on it. They probably considered stuff like that but didn't want to get any legal action.

You can say you want to remake stuff like Cannonball Run and It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World but you still need to get the rights to it and somehow execute it correctly. That's asking a lot when actual major studios get it wrong.

Nah, There are already a bunch of Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World knockoffs and Cannonball Run itself is a knockoff of Gumball Rally.  "Wacky ensemble race comedy" is pretty much a genre unto itself.

19 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Nah, There are already a bunch of Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World knockoffs and Cannonball Run itself is a knockoff of Gumball Rally.  "Wacky ensemble race comedy" is pretty much a genre unto itself.

Thing is they don't have the cultural relevance of those films. Hell, you can make a ton of those dollar bin DVD films ripping off existing IPs and god knows they tried when WWE Studios was a thing. However, if you want it to be great or just at least fun, it would have to be that.

We are also blindly assuming WWE is going to allow a bunch of stars to be off TV for several weeks to film it, which is also kinda crazy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zimbra said:

Actually Cannonball with David Carradine came out a month before Gumball Rally. Then you have Speed Zone(1989) with John Candy which featured Jamie Farr making a cameo as "The Sheik", but I don't think anyone connected to the two Cannonball Run movies had anything to do with it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Thing is they don't have the cultural relevance of those films. Hell, you can make a ton of those dollar bin DVD films ripping off existing IPs and god knows they tried when WWE Studios was a thing. However, if you want it to be great or just at least fun, it would have to be that.

We are also blindly assuming WWE is going to allow a bunch of stars to be off TV for several weeks to film it, which is also kinda crazy.

Oh yeah, I agree that it's a terrible idea.  There's a good reason nobody has really tried to make on since Rat Race, and that's without taking people away from their wrestling schedule.

5 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Oh yeah, I agree that it's a terrible idea.  There's a good reason nobody has really tried to make on since Rat Race, and that's without taking people away from their wrestling schedule.

Yes and that reason is because they know they can't possibly top the greatness that is Rat Race.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

There are probably hundreds of movies like Rat Race from the late 90s/early 2000s I totally forgot about but vaguely remember seeing.

I would love WWE burning through cash for vanity remakes of The Dirty Dozen and The Guns of Navarone.

Fuck it...let's do our version of The Longest Day.

13 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

The John Cena remake of The Invisible Man

This works in multiple ways because you also have the Everybody Hates Chris angle of John Cena doing a movie based on Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man. Now, THAT I would make a voyage to the theater to go see.

Either way, the tagline is "You Can't See Me.".

• Haha 2

Vince being gone, they probably would be okay with talent being written out for three months, but the other thing is since he's gone they probably don't care about WWE Studios as much anymore. That was surely his baby ("...we make movies." - Vince in Beyond the Mat). 

I never could get Stone Cold out of my head when Austin acted. It just didn't click. He couldn't inhabit a different character to me. 

14 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Vince being gone, they probably would be okay with talent being written out for three months, but the other thing is since he's gone they probably don't care about WWE Studios as much anymore. That was surely his baby ("...we make movies." - Vince in Beyond the Mat). 

I never could get Stone Cold out of my head when Austin acted. It just didn't click. He couldn't inhabit a different character to me. 

It's going to be that way for everyone though really. Cena is a little less cause if you cover him up enough, he's just a regular Joe. Batista being so much bigger than the average Hollywood star and more unique looking makes it much harder for him to be more than Batista to me. Thus, he has to do a great job in these roles.

Now that said, Steve Austin prior to 1995 is much different than what he would become. Deadman Undertaker with no hint of an accent is much different than Booger Red American Badass Taker from Houston. They've done so much of a great job redefining themselves within wrestling that we don't see that as great acting that they should be commended on.

3 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Just found what the Raw roster will do in the 3 months in-between USA Network and Netflix

That's late 2024, right?

The return of Smack Down Your Vote.

2 hours ago, colonial said:

I swear I remember reading Regal and/or Punk pitching a Cannonball Run reboot with WWE wrestlers over a decade ago.

Punk said that back in the day on a podcast:
"I think WWE should remake Cannonball Run. Seriously. Get Yoshi Tatsu, put him in a car with Funaki. Put JBL in there with Cena. Get me in there. Have all the WWE guys, put them in cars, and have them drive cross country. If the goal for WWE Films is to make WWE fans buy DVDs, having a movie with all the WWE guys in it will sell like crazy, especially if it's Cannonball Run."

17 minutes ago, Hamhock said:

Punk said that back in the day on a podcast:
"I think WWE should remake Cannonball Run. Seriously. Get Yoshi Tatsu, put him in a car with Funaki. Put JBL in there with Cena. Get me in there. Have all the WWE guys, put them in cars, and have them drive cross country. If the goal for WWE Films is to make WWE fans buy DVDs, having a movie with all the WWE guys in it will sell like crazy, especially if it's Cannonball Run."

That sounds like a better spoof trailer than feature length film. 

• Like 1

Steve Austin managed to get away from his wrestling persona in The Longest Yard. He shaved his beard and just had a moustache. But Kev Nash was probably the best acting Wrestler in the movie.

Booker T’s King Booker gimmick and TNA run was his attempt to prove to Hollywood that he had range, wasn’t it? Because it didn’t work at all.

I haven't watched Cannonball Run in ages, thinking back I kind of remember the only funny parts being any scene with Dean Martin & Sammy Davis Jr., who could have they put in those roles?

If the WWE could have gotten the rights to a bunch of 70's and 80's Burt Reynolds flicks, they could have easily slotted Austin, Rock, Cana, or whoever in the starring role.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

If the WWE could have gotten the rights to a bunch of 70's and 80's Burt Reynolds flicks, they could have easily slotted Austin, Rock, Cana, or whoever in the starring role.

Vince would have so loved the chance to remake Deliverance.

• Haha 2

Okay, now that I think about it: When Burt was working with them for WrestleMania X, wouldn't it have been easier to get celebs to star in WWE produced films/vehicles and have the WWF/E guys make extended cameos or be in lesser supporting roles like they actually did at the tail end of WWE Studios? I mean you had more mid majors then probably than now.

That got me thinking about how the hell Christopher Lloyd ended up in a Hulk Hogan vehicle between Back to the Future III and The Addams Family. The only thing I can think of is that he signed on to Suburban Commando when Schwarzenegger was potentially still going be the lead. 

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Yeah speaking of Hal Needham, I love that the aspiration would be, "how can we remake Smokey and the Bandit II, but somehow worse?"

Smokey and the Bandit III???

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1