DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2024 Wrestling Talk

Also after seeing a Twitter ad for this guy, I’ve decided that stealing the “Liver King” gimmick would be an amazingly niche and likely to fail wrestling gimmick

For those who don’t know. Liver King is a guy who has combined the ancestral tenets of eating raw meat and eating liver with the tenet of spending $11000 a month on anabolic steroids.

Perfect wrestling gimmick. He can have the finisher of punching his opponents directly in the liver.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

In unfortunately not surprising news, Billy Jack Haynes wife was found murdered and Billy is a suspect.  Actually much more than suspect

#BobbyHeenanIsAlwaysRight

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

In unfortunately not surprising news, Billy Jack Haynes wife was found murdered and Billy is a suspect.  Actually much more than suspect

8 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

#BobbyHeenanIsAlwaysRight

Local news story for the morbidly curious among us:

https://www.koin.com/news/portland/shelter-in-place-in-lents-neighborhood-during-shooting-investigation/?utm_source=t.co&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_medium=referral

Maybe someone can help me out? I found this match on YouTube last night. Who is Salomè? I can’t find anything about her on the internet shit I can’t find any information about this match on the internet.

4 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

Damn, Billy Jack has seemed like a Dark Side of the Ring episode waiting to happen for years now and seemed very obviously mentally ill/CTE/drug burnout/emotional trauma in most of his modern shoot interviews. So yeah, sadly not super surprising. 

Yeah, I was more shocked to find out that someone that unstable was actually married. He seemed very much mentally compromised two decades ago and I have my doubts things have improved since then. Well, obviously they have deteriorated further.

in the spirit of the Iron Sheik/Sgt. Slaughter 1984 feud being sparked by them crossing paths in an entrance way in-between matches.. here's a very minor, at first, way to spark a feud...

Wrestler A comes out for a match with Wrestler B. But Wrestler C comes out because he insists that he was sure that his match was the next match. Causing tensions with either guy in the match that he was delaying.

In the spirit of the most minor things causing people to get mad at each other

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

in the spirit of the Iron Sheik/Sgt. Slaughter 1984 feud being sparked by them crossing paths in an entrance way in-between matches.. here's a very minor, at first, way to spark a feud...

Wrestler A comes out for a match with Wrestler B. But Wrestler C comes out because he insists that he was sure that his match was the next match. Causing tensions with either guy in the match that he was delaying.

In the spirit of the most minor things causing people to get mad at each other

For whatever reason one of my enduring attitude era memories is the Jericho vs Stephanie & HHH all started with Stephanie & Tori talking shop about whatever and Jericho comes up behind them and casually asks “Excuse me ladies where’s The Godfather?” and attempting in vain to apologize when they turn around angrily 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Also after seeing a Twitter ad for this guy, I’ve decided that stealing the “Liver King” gimmick would be an amazingly niche and likely to fail wrestling gimmick

For those who don’t know. Liver King is a guy who has combined the ancestral tenets of eating raw meat and eating liver with the tenet of spending $11000 a month on anabolic steroids.

Perfect wrestling gimmick. He can have the finisher of punching his opponents directly in the liver.

almost made a "Daniel Bryan doing a Liver King satire as the Vegan King" reference before looking at a pic of the Liver King and deciding... "yeah, this is a gimmick you give to Braun Strowman because he already has the steroids and beard to pull it off"

• Thanks 1

I'm trying to remember an early 2000s indy show I watched that I'm hoping rings a bell with someone.  I'm 90% sure it was an MCW show so this might be mostly an odessasteps question.

Show took place between 2000-02, and I definitely watched either an RF or SMV tape of the show.  The main or co-main event was a hardcore tag match where one team were bald guys.  In my memory it's Da Baldies but they never worked MCW.  It was a pretty normal WWF style plunder match, but about midway through the match one of the bald guys gets hit with an already-dented trash can.  A jagged piece of metal from the can gashes his head and he ends up doing one of the nastiest unintentional blade jobs I'd ever seen.  Just spurting blood everywhere.  They showed some backstage stuff at the end of the tape of him with his giant divot in his head.

Anybody remember this one?

That may have been after I stopped “working there” which was early 2001.

being in MD, I dont remember much blading apart the show they ran at Ft Meade, which was technically not under the jurisdiction of the Athletic Commission. 

a bald guy tag team could have been TQM when it was Jimmy Cicero and Dino Devine. 

I may send this to Admur to see if he remembers. 

edit: Jeff thought it might be the Head Bangers. 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Christian Cage needs to win the AEW World Championship on Father's Day 2024.

I don't know about actually winning, but challenging for it on Father's Day seems like most obvious, logical booking there is!

• Like 2

Earlier this week (or it could have been late last week) I was browsing through Fight Club Finland's website and found out that they are about to launch their own streaming service. It's only 5,99 euros per month (material from 2006 onwards), but unfortunately this is where I have to draw the line. But it's interesting news nevertheless. I may give it a month sometime this year, who knows?