DVDVR Message Board

AEW - FEBRUARY 2024

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Would Darby come back spraying Asian Mist in his opponents eyes? 

It would have to be white mist causing his opponents to be snowblind, right?

or just start beating dudes by jamming his thumb into their throat

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The U.S. women's wrestling GOAT is coming to AEW on March 13th.  Let's fucking go. 

Man, they finally signed Wendi Richter to do this Toni Storm stuff, huh?

• Haha 7

6 hours ago, JLowe said:

...all are native English speakers (which is still pretty important when it comes to a company mainly broadcasting to an American audience). 

I think this is a MASSIVE misconception. America is absolutely where AEW runs the vast majority of their shows, but in terms of broadcasting, they are huge in the two other countries where they have run shows, Canada and Britain, and in terms of international reach it's easier just to cut and paste the Wikipedia, which I will do below.

This all connects with (among other things) how bizarre I find it that anyone gives any real weight to discussion of same-day US-only TV ratings as an important metric in debating the success of a wrestling company. Even here, on a board filled with wrestling FANATICS,there are plenty of times when more of us watch a show (particularly Rampage) on tape delay. So same-day ratings are pretty empty and meaningless in terms of how many people are actually watching. Then, take a look at the list below! It's INSANE to suggest that America comprises the lion's share of AEW's viewing audience.

(Obviously, though, the US TV/Broadcasting deal is hugely important to AEW, I happily concede that point. And TV ratings presumably have some relevance there).

But we've got folks from Canada, Britain, Oceania, Finland, Japan, etc etc posting here every week. It's clear that AEW's audience is truly international, not just American.

The Wiki:

On October 22, 2019, TNT Serie announced a deal to air Dynamite on Friday nights in Germany.[53][54] On October 24, 2019, Toonami announced a deal to air Dynamite on Tuesday nights in France.[55][56] On July 21, 2020, Sky Sport and AEW announced a deal to air Dynamite on Friday nights in Italy, replacing WWE programming.[57][58] AEW also aired on Sport Extra in Romania from 2020 until 2022.[59] Dynamite aired in Poland from March 5[60] until August 27, 2022[61] on Warner TV. In Spain, AEW announced that was going to air Dynamite on TNT starting on June 17, 2022, and later live from June 19, 2022.[62] As of 2023, in some European markets (including countries like Portugal, Sweden, Poland, Turkey, Romania and Czech Republic), Dynamite (and other AEW events such as PPVs, Rampage, Dark, Elevation and Battle of the Belts) are available on DAZN.[63]

Latin America
edit
On October 22, 2020, AEW reached an agreement with the digital platform with Pluto TV broadcasting its repeat events (including past pay-per-view) with commentators in Spanish from Latin America.[64]

On November 22, 2020, Dynamite began airing on Space, a WarnerMedia International channel in Brazil and on Space's Spanish feed, available throughout Latin America on Sundays.[65][66] On September 30, 2022, it was announced that AEW would stop airing on Space in Latin America on October 1, with Brazil following on December 30.[67][68] Currently, AEW Dynamite (alongside the rest of AEW programming) is aired by Televisa-Univision, on TUDN in Mexico and on ViX streaming Platform in the rest of Latin America and the Caribbean.

Africa
edit
Dynamite began airing on TNT Africa on February 5, 2021, in English-speaking countries of Sub-Saharan Africa.[69][70] The show airs every Sunday morning at 10 AM CAT, four days after the U.S. broadcast.[71]

Asia
edit
In India, AEW is announced to be airing Dynamite on Eurosport starting on August 15, 2021, and later live from August 19, 2021, every Thursday on 5:30am IST.[72] Dynamite began airing on Premier Sports in the Philippines on September 25, 2021.[73] On April 8, 2022, it was announced that as part of the AEW and NJPW working relationship that Dynamite would air in Japan on NJPW World.[74][75]

Oceania
edit
Dynamite started airing on ESPN2 from 16 February 2023 in Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, Cook Islands, Solomon Islands, Niue, Nauru, Vanuatu, Kiribati, Northern Marianas, Tokelau, Tahiti, Tuvalu, New Caledonia, American Samoa, Marshall Islands, Palau, Federated States of Micronesia, Papua New Guinea, and Wallis and Futuna.[76]

Edited by Gordi the former AEW fan
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

ps more importantly, I miss Rebel/Reba. Surely somebody in the division could use her excellent services.

Technically they do she she does makeup for AEW still.

IMO, Britt is a good character, ok wrestler which can work week to week but you gotta nail the big matches. They have a really good division but I'm not sure how it plays out with giving out time to the roster. 

2 minutes ago, Gordi the former AEW fan said:

I think this is a MASSIVE misconception. America is absolutely where AEW runs the vast majority of their shows, but in terms of broadcasting, they are huge in the two other countries where they have run shows, Canada and Britain, and in terms of international reach it's easier just to cut and paste the Wikipedia, which I will do below.

This all connects with (among other things) how bizarre I find it that anyone gives any real weight to discussion of same-day US-only TV ratings as an important metric in debating the success of a wrestling company. Even here, on a board filled with wrestling FANATICS,there are plenty of times when more of us watch a show (particularly Rampage) on tape delay. So same-day ratings are pretty empty and meaningless in terms of how many people are actually watching. Then, take a look at the list below! It's INSANE to suggest that America is AEW's primary viewing audience.

(Obviously, though, the US TV/Broadcasting deal is hugely important to AEW, I happily concede that point. And TV ratings presumably have some relevance there).

But we've got folks from Canada, Britain, Oceania, Finland, Japan, etc etc posting here every week. It's clear that AEW's audience is truly international, not just American.

On October 22, 2019, TNT Serie announced a deal to air Dynamite on Friday nights in Germany.[53][54] On October 24, 2019, Toonami announced a deal to air Dynamite on Tuesday nights in France.[55][56] On July 21, 2020, Sky Sport and AEW announced a deal to air Dynamite on Friday nights in Italy, replacing WWE programming.[57][58] AEW also aired on Sport Extra in Romania from 2020 until 2022.[59] Dynamite aired in Poland from March 5[60] until August 27, 2022[61] on Warner TV. In Spain, AEW announced that was going to air Dynamite on TNT starting on June 17, 2022, and later live from June 19, 2022.[62] As of 2023, in some European markets (including countries like Portugal, Sweden, Poland, Turkey, Romania and Czech Republic), Dynamite (and other AEW events such as PPVs, Rampage, Dark, Elevation and Battle of the Belts) are available on DAZN.[63]

Latin America
edit
On October 22, 2020, AEW reached an agreement with the digital platform with Pluto TV broadcasting its repeat events (including past pay-per-view) with commentators in Spanish from Latin America.[64]

On November 22, 2020, Dynamite began airing on Space, a WarnerMedia International channel in Brazil and on Space's Spanish feed, available throughout Latin America on Sundays.[65][66] On September 30, 2022, it was announced that AEW would stop airing on Space in Latin America on October 1, with Brazil following on December 30.[67][68] Currently, AEW Dynamite (alongside the rest of AEW programming) is aired by Televisa-Univision, on TUDN in Mexico and on ViX streaming Platform in the rest of Latin America and the Caribbean.

Africa
edit
Dynamite began airing on TNT Africa on February 5, 2021, in English-speaking countries of Sub-Saharan Africa.[69][70] The show airs every Sunday morning at 10 AM CAT, four days after the U.S. broadcast.[71]

Asia
edit
In India, AEW is announced to be airing Dynamite on Eurosport starting on August 15, 2021, and later live from August 19, 2021, every Thursday on 5:30am IST.[72] Dynamite began airing on Premier Sports in the Philippines on September 25, 2021.[73] On April 8, 2022, it was announced that as part of the AEW and NJPW working relationship that Dynamite would air in Japan on NJPW World.[74][75]

Oceania
edit
Dynamite started airing on ESPN2 from 16 February 2023 in Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, Cook Islands, Solomon Islands, Niue, Nauru, Vanuatu, Kiribati, Northern Marianas, Tokelau, Tahiti, Tuvalu, New Caledonia, American Samoa, Marshall Islands, Palau, Federated States of Micronesia, Papua New Guinea, and Wallis and Futuna.[76]

Gordi, if AEW didn't have a US TV deal, would they still be in existence? That's pretty much going to determine their primary audience.

So I feel like I have a vague understanding of Lucha politics, how is AEW able to work with CMLL and AAA at the same time? I thought the deal with Pentagon etc not being able to be on Forbidden Door is because New Japan worked with CMLL, no AAA wrestlers could appear. While I am sure we won't see AAA and CMLL wrestlers interact on AEW, it just surprises me to even see them both in the same outside promotion at the same time.

Well it’s cool AEW has reach in places like New Zealand, The Philippines and Romania I wonder how those eyeballs compare to us eyeballs 

Seeing as he’s climbing a mountain Darby new hold should be falling off something high… ph wait

39 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

So I feel like I have a vague understanding of Lucha politics, how is AEW able to work with CMLL and AAA at the same time? I thought the deal with Pentagon etc not being able to be on Forbidden Door is because New Japan worked with CMLL, no AAA wrestlers could appear. While I am sure we won't see AAA and CMLL wrestlers interact on AEW, it just surprises me to even see them both in the same outside promotion at the same time.

I would the obvious answer is $ but CMLL will do penny wise and dollar foolish things all the time. 

It certainly makes more sense to be partners with NJPW and CMLL, from a vertically integrated POV.

4 hours ago, Gordi the former AEW fan said:

Toonami announced a deal to air Dynamite on Tuesday nights in France.

They have a Saturday night block on Cartoon Network with that name showing anime. So while I now know what you mean it would be fucking wild to see an AEW show of some type on this version of Toonami. And honestly considering the WB tie in why the fuck wouldn't they try this by now. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I would the obvious answer is $ but CMLL will do penny wise and dollar foolish things all the time. 

It certainly makes more sense to be partners with NJPW and CMLL, from a vertically integrated POV.

And the fact that AAA literally double crossed AEW with the Dragon Lee thing in a failed attempt to get a working agreement with WWE.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, zendragon said:

Well it’s cool AEW has reach in places like New Zealand, The Philippines and Romania I wonder how those eyeballs compare to us eyeballs 

Seeing as he’s climbing a mountain Darby new hold should be falling off something high… ph wait

The Mountain Splash. An alleged super-splash practiced in the Himalayas

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Are there any minis in CMLL that Claudio could do a giant swing to in Arena Mexico?

Kemonito is still around, right?

Oh, man. I need a Mox/Kemonito interaction at some point.

Isn't there an evil version of Kemonito now? I want to say Kemalito? (Googled it. Yes!)

Ok, instead, I want Mox to take a liking to Kemalito and have him be his permanent sidekick.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Before it was no AAA and CMLL wrestlers could appear on the same show. Presumably AEW or Rocky talked CMLL into letting it slide a bit for those who are technically AEW wrestlers like Penta.

16 hours ago, sabremike said:

And the fact that AAA literally double crossed AEW with the Dragon Lee thing in a failed attempt to get a working agreement with WWE.

Huh? What's the story here? I was under the impression Dragon Lee signed on his own. 

31 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Before it was no AAA and CMLL wrestlers could appear on the same show. Presumably AEW or Rocky talked CMLL into letting it slide a bit for those who are technically AEW wrestlers like Penta.

Huh? What's the story here? I was under the impression Dragon Lee signed on his own. 

Dragon Lee got the pin on FTR to win the AAA tag titles and then announced he was headed to WWE right after the match. They knew he was going to WWE and had him get the pin on an AEW headlining act that AEW clearly wouldn't have allowed had they known about that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1