DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 1/31 - 2/6/2024 - Ranking in the Dark

Bang Bang Scissor Gang just reeks of stardom. I love that team-up. Jay White is the coolest dude in the room. Everyone else is a really good mix of cool and goofy at once. That has a lot of legs.

Toni Storm is just the absolute best. Just an amazing and ridiculous wrestling character. A total joy to see her announce and say things like “su-play.”

I am going to bed.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Bang Bang Scissor Gang just reeks of stardom. I love that team-up. Jay White is the coolest dude in the room. Everyone else is a really good mix of cool and goofy at once. That has a lot of legs.

Agreed - I hate to make this observation again because I just said it re: Lady Frost on Collision (were she to be seriously pushed), but that's gonna sell a lot of f'n t-shirts.

Edit: @Curt McGirt I see your point for sure, but I have to respectfully disagree. That crowd was feeling 'em huge. The '90s comparison IS spot-on, but I feel like that was always Bullet Club's thing anyway, so it doesn't really bother me - plus it's being done in service of the BC and Acclaimed guys, it's not like they're building the whole thing around Billy. I get what you're saying though.

Re: the rest of the show -

I agree Jeff Hardy/Mox never got going (and I'm reeeeeally hoping the Jeff flipping the bird thing isn't the start of some worked shoot horseshit where he starts leaving through the crowd, or whatever).

Taya/Deonna was awesome, though, and I second all the Toni love per usual. This wasn't the one, but it'd sure be nice for Taya to win a meaningful match once in a while. 

I liked Hanger/Liona! Liona tossing him to the floor was bruuuutal, I clenched a bit thinking Hangman hurt his arm (and there was another part after where I could've sworn it looked like Toa went to grab it but Hangman pulled away, so Toa did another Banzai drop off the ropes instead, unless I was just seeing shit). On that note: hopefully Mr. Wardlow is cool. Did not sound good at all when he yelled, but hopefully just a tweak.

Also: I honest to goodness loved the shit out of that main event. I made a joke earlier about Batista, but on the real, with Sting hanging it up, I wouldn't hate RVD becoming a new resident vet. Shit, if you're not gonna do anything with that FTW title Hook's got, put it on RVD and have him work like, super-safe, 7 minute WWF-Hardcore-division style matches every couple weeks, why not

Overall, I thought it was a fine program. I super wanted to believe it would move and shake a little more coming off of a killer Collision, but it was a perfectly serviceable setup episode

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 2

I thought pretty much everything delivered tonight. Moxley/Hardy was solid, nice setup for CMLL vs AEW after. Hangman/Toa was pretty awesome, Toa looked fantastic in a singles outing and the finish was neat.  Komander's phoenix splash on Wardlow looked killer.  Jericho/Fletcher was good stuff. 

Deonna/Taya was shorter but good. Deonna's entrance/theme rules, star quality. Deonna using a different finish that looked cool.  Plus Timeless on commentary was extra good. 

Loved Swerve/RVD, total ECW TV main event vibes. Almost thought RVD had a shot if Hangman got involved after the Hook/Cage interference. Thought RVD took all of Swerve's stuff really well and looked great altogether. Definitely here for more RVD in AEW whenever we can get it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey, if anyone likes the Scissor Bangers then go for it. You do you. Don't mind me while I mute and turn away from the television or change the channel. 

Forgot about Leona (Tea Leone? I'm gonna have a hard time with this name) bealing Hanger over the ropes. That was was those darn kids call a YEET for sure.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Lots of intersting stuff this week. Jeff Hardy lived to regret the conversation backstage before the match with Mox.

Jeff: Ok, Mox do you have any specific plans for our match tonight?

Mox: I think I'll just play by the ear.

Jeff: That sounds great.

Hangman vs Toa was fantastic. Another template that I just love (along with PAC vs Claudio/ PAC vs Hangman architypes)

I have to watch Wardlow vs Komander and Jericho vs Fletcher again

Toni's commentary was batshit as usual, Deonna vs Taya was good, the finisher was brutal!

Renee must hate selling her soul like that, with Nicholas and Matthew. Darby is focused on the tag titles, I could see this ending two different ways, but both are different kinds of bad. I think Bucks ending up with the tag titles at Revolution would be the even more bad, but more interesting option. The other is that Bucks screw Sting and Darby out of the tag titles next week.

Bang Bang Scissor Gang is popular for sure, but I have a bad feeling that now two sets of trios titles will be wasted when they could be used to add excitement to lower card young teams facing each other. There's really no reason Top Flight Action shouldn't have one of those right now.

RVD and Swerve with a wonderful main event and unless something goes tits up, as Timeless Toni would say, in next week's match between Swerve and Hangman, we will get ONE top contender for World Title. I'm so glad there is no precedent where they would force an unwanted 3-way as a payoff. What?

Also, HOOK with a chair and a D12 T-shirt. Good for him. A match against Cage is what he needs to bounce back from the Joe loss.

Edited by Shartnado
Clarification
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, MrKothoga said:

I hate how fast TK always makes matches official. I'm starting to think that he knows beforehand what the wrestlers will throw out.

It's all in the reflexes. Probably just one mouse click away. They must have every possible match combination graphics ready somewhere, though. Those come up super fast as well.

Edited by Shartnado
Added "every"

6 hours ago, tbarrie said:

I liked that Swerve and RVD started their match with a counter-argument to the old argument "When RVD throws a chair at you, don't catch it".

As Swerve so considerately demonstrated, if you don't catch the chair, you just get a steel chair bouncing off your face. You haven't really improved your position.

1) Catch the chair = get the chair kicked in your face

2) Don't catch the chair = get the chair flying in your face and probably kicked in the face afterwards

3) Push the chair away = get kicked in the face

This looks like a no-win situation, for sure, unless you duck. And even if you duck, you'll probably end up getting a rolling thunder.

• Like 2

Mox/Hardy wasn't bad though I'm not sure what they're doing with Jeff.  No matter what he turns into I don't think I'll like it but whatever.  Aside from that it was a fun setup episode that breezed on by.  I'm torn between Page/Toa and the main as my favorite for different reasons.  One had Hangman bumping like a freak to make Toa look like a king among men (I think he succeeded) and the other had RVD beating the shit out of poor Swerve.  Both wins felt earned due to the beating Page and Swerve took and it helped each cases for being in the top of the rankings.  Even if these aren't on MOTYC lists they were still ones that will hold up quite well on rewatch.

Also, during commercial for Deonna/Taya Excalibur said "Jeff Harvey" and Tony had his head on the desk losing it.  It's worth checking out and I just love how Toni on commentary is an excuse for them to loosen up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Though I certainly enjoyed it, the CMLL stuff took me a bit by surprise. I wonder if they are trying to gauge interest for a Forbidden Door-style event with them.

On that note: someone with more lucha knowledge than I can probably fill this blank in for me, but it felt like somewhat of a big deal to have those guys on the same show as Kommander while he's an AAA title holder - are relations thawing?

I was really tired so Swerve/RVD felt like a fever dream but in a really good way. Whoever called it an ECW TV main event was spot on. Good nonsense brawl that started great with the thrown chair to the face. They did that old spot where the guy gets nutted on the top and RVD does a kick off of it. That was always one of the RVD spots in ECW that both popped people and also took too long to set up because he’d usually do a lot of his preening. I also loved the slingshot legdrop with Swerve on the apron — I am sure I have seen that spot 5000000 times since, but gave me some great ECW throwback vibes when you’d see whoever they were debuting that month pull out something you never thought possible. 

Joe is just the best. Most all-around complete wrestling personality. Man, I know I have said it a bunch of times in the past but just let him run with the belt for a few months, let someone beat him for the title, and then Joe wins it back six months later. Rinse and repeat for three years. Joe transcends being either a face or a heel and is just “badass.” And since he took losses before, he can take them again and not lose any of his gravitas. 

• Like 5

The CMLL guys made a wise choice to wear the boss suits. Absolutely badass.  

So excited for Hechicero vs. Danielson.  

I loved Toa Liona being able to show lots of new offense.  I certainly don't like guys cracking skulls with head butts, but the way Bryan Keith and Liona creatively utilize their craniums gets a thumbs-up from me.  Yokozuna-esque rope-assisted splashes!  Still early days and all, but I reckon this kid's got something.  

Toni Storm is incredible at this role.  It's a roller-coaster ride.  Bonus points for Luther's "I'm crushing your head!" in a nod to Kids In The Hall, his fellow Canadians.  

RVD was kinda awesome in that match.  Smart move to not have Nana there tonight.  Swerve's victory felt well-earned by the end.  

In general, I'm really enjoying this Samoa Joe, Hangman, and Swerve scenario.  It's a nice new direction.  

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Evil Otto said:

RVD was kinda awesome in that match.  Smart move to not have Nana there tonight.  Swerve's victory felt well-earned by the end.  

Hangman cracked a joke about Nana stealing his weed a couple months ago, so naturally he had to be taken out before RVD was brought in. Long term storytelling!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Zimbra said:

I liked Swerve/Hardy

I liked Mox/Hardy too!  Grumpy Jeff running into the buzzsaw of Even Grumpier Mox was good stuff and he took his beating like a champ.  And the dropkick off the apron was low key a completely insane spot.  He took a flat-as-hell back bump onto concrete from six feet up in the air!  Right on his busted-ass spine!

I was not as into RVD/Swerve.  Seeing RVD run through his greatest hits at 2/3 speed has had sharply diminishing returns for me.

Page chopping down the tree that is Toa Liona was good fun.

I love how much Tony or whoever in the back loves this Toni Storm stuff and keeps sending her out to break the announcers.  I like whatever it is Taya is doing now more than her weird glam viking thing.

• Like 2

I thought the show was good, not great, but never dragged or anything. Was pleasantly surprised by Mox/Hardy, Hangman/Toa and Swerve/RVD. Wasn't really excited for any of them, but enjoyed them all.

10 hours ago, Greggulator said:

I mentioned this over in the Football folder, but in his post-game interview, San Francisco 49er Brandon Aiyuk dropped a "Bang Bang Niners Gang!"

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Hangman cracked a joke about Nana stealing his weed a couple months ago, so naturally he had to be taken out before RVD was brought in. Long term storytelling!

The long term storytelling is that he used the stolen weed to persuade RVD to take this match!

Toni and the announcing team were amazing.

Toni: Who does your makeup, Mr. Schiavone?  Anton LaVey?

Taz: I think it's Benjamin Moore.

Also Toni accusing Excalibur of being Sean Mooney, then Ex accidentally referred to "Jeff Harvey," which led Taz to accuse him of being Mike Adamle.  God damn, just some quick witted mfers there. 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Log said:

I mentioned this over in the Football folder, but in his post-game interview, San Francisco 49er Brandon Aiyuk dropped a "Bang Bang Niners Gang!"

George Kittle El Cero Miedo (my dynasty league TE, I may add) must have got him watching, that's cool as shit.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I’ve always gotten that character from Darby. Also matches how my wife describes him: hottest guy in the trailer park.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Shartnado said:

The other is that Bucks screw Sting and Darby out of the tag titles next week.

You can write that in your sleep: Flair nut-shots Sting. Afterwards says sorry brother, but the Bucks covered my alimony payments for the year. 

• Like 5

Toni repeatedly just randomly Dropping sneaky, shockingly inappropriate comments is so in line with the character. I also died at Luther doing the head-crushing thing.

I liked Mox going for Hardy’s stretched ear, and Jeff was certainly bumping a lot. I guess if he’s not going for titles, he’s going to dish out pain. The scuffle with the luchadores was exciting.  

Page-Toa was really good, Toa can move!

Did not like the WCW feel of Komander as jobber small guy for Wardlow, even if he got in his spots (and botched the Phoenix splash badly). Then Wardlow botched a corner spot, was that when the knee got tweaked? He says he’s ok, which is good for AEW in the sense of this storyline not having to be out on hold for longer still. Crowds seem pretty cold on Wardlow these days, and so am I.

Fletcher got to do a lot and look great and the announcers really put him over, but jobbing to Jericho at this point isn’t a step up for him. And what the fuck was that corner botch? Looked bad, could’ve been really bad.

I like the Bang Bang Scissor Gang but that felt unnecessary other than to sell new t-shirts.

Deonna-Taya was good but not quite as good as I was expecting. Johnny and Taya really do have that gross weird couple at the bar giving you the eye thing going. Bad camera angle on super kick showing about 3 inches of air. Finisher twist was nice though! Also liked the promo with Deonna.

I liked the main a lot, like many others said it had the feel of an ECW TV main event, lots of stiff kicks and hurty bumps. Swerve’s strange style does have some elements of RVD in it (adding extra rolls, kicks from various angles). Maybe RVD is at 3/4 speed but he still has amazing leg flexibility and strength.

Friday 8-man should be fun, plus Willow-Aminata. Next Wednesday is basically a PPV.

• Like 4