DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 1/24 - 1/30/2024 - Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, Scissor Gang

That was a voluntary defence, not a mandatory. Bowens prevented Nana from interfering in the match where Mogul Embassy lost the titles, so they demanded a chance at vengeance. Bowens said so on the twitter.

• Thanks 1

I remember in WWE after the first brand split dissolved, it was common practice for a person who lost an IC title feud to immediately jump into a feud for the US title and vice versa.

Doing it with trios titles somehow seems worse, though. I appreciate the attempts by the wrestlers to make it make sense, but you know what would make more sense? Not having two sets of trios titles on one show.

• Like 1

I assumed it was because both sets of belts are equally worthless and thus, interchangeable.  Since the Embassy lost and were entitled to a rematch, they just picked the other belts because who cares?

Edited by Technico Support

7 hours ago, tbarrie said:

I recall somebody or other doing a move where they set you up for a tombstone, then drop you flat on your back. Or something like that.

In similar examples there is Claudio's Neutralizer and the Tarzan Goto finisher where he picks you up for a piledriver and just drops you face-first. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

In similar examples there is Claudio's Neutralizer and the Tarzan Goto finisher where he picks you up for a piledriver and just drops you face-first. 

I used to hate when DDP got a guy up for a piledriver, and then just fell forward, instead actually piledriving the guy. It looked wonky, and from a Kayfabe point of view, why wouldn't you drop the guy on his head instead of a belly flop?

Edited by SovietShooter
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Shit yeah.  Setting up for a Gotch piledriver, only to belly flop the opponent, is hella lame.  Claudio's original move called the "Neutralizer" was the seated stretch muffler, or Brock Lock, which was badass.

It's doubly crappy because it's really a Gotch piledriver without the piledriver. Hell, I remember seeing it for the first time! I was so disappointed in what I thought it was gonna be and then realizing "well, it's a piledriver, of course they're not letting him do that". 

EDIT: Of course you wrote "Gotch piledriver" and I skipped right over that. Too much coffee, I need to slow down... or drink more coffee

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Haha 1

I feel like, if you're not going to allow piledrivers so wrestlers start using piledriver-like setups to do faceplants or whatever, then there should be a storyline thing where piledrivers are banned and lead to a DQ and suspension or something. Then, at least, your wrestlers don't look dumb for going for the less-devistating move.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Wonder if it’s just a case of Rosa still shaking off ring rust and testing what she feels comfortable with.

Had that thought as well. Without a house show circuit, I think it would behoove AEW to start using ROH for those de-facto, pre-TV, "shake the rust" matches. Not to be a jerk, but so few people probably watch anyway, that I don't think it would diminish any eventual return to AEW TV. Plus, if they're still taping ROH before the main shows, you have the added benefit of being able to advertise Rosa or whoever else to the local audience to bolster attendance

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zimbra said:

I just want this to open up the conversation that the Styles Clash has always been dumb as hell.

YES.  From a kayfabe perspective of "just do a fucking piledriver, it's more effective!" and from a real life perspective of telling guys with brain damage, for whom tucking their chin is second nature, to remember to NOT tuck their chin for this specific move.

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Had that thought as well. Without a house show circuit, I think it would behoove AEW to start using ROH for those de-facto, pre-TV, "shake the rust" matches. Not to be a jerk, but so few people probably watch anyway, that I don't think it would diminish any eventual return to AEW TV. Plus, if they're still taping ROH before the main shows, you have the added benefit of being able to advertise Rosa or whoever else to the local audience to bolster attendance

Marq Quen's recent return also comes to mind. It's also frustrating that the company's inexpereinced talent, like Hook for example, are not working ROH regularly. Hook even had a reason with the Yuta feud to be on that show regularly. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

I have high high expectations for the cage match tomorrow. I think it's going to be something special in the same way the FTR vs BCG match was.

I was with you or am, but this 'escape the cage' rules situation will need to be seen before I assume any glory.

I think if there's anyone I trust to build an interesting match around an escape stipulation it's FTR

Edited by Zimbra
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

YES.  From a kayfabe perspective of "just do a fucking piledriver, it's more effective!" and from a real life perspective of telling guys with brain damage, for whom tucking their chin is second nature, to remember to NOT tuck their chin for this specific move.

Yeah, considering that the move broke more than one neck, that one really deserves to go on the shitpile. Even if AJ is doing it. I watched that semi-legendary three-way between Joe, Daniels and AJ in TNA when they were doing their best-of special and man, Daniels' bald dome punched right down into the mat when Styles was getting him in position. And he wasn't injured, amazingly! That dude has enough trouble with looking like he's wearing a neck brace at all times, he don't need a real injury. 

• Like 1

My god, I'm seriously looking forward to some JTTS foregone conclusion wrestling after the shitshow these last two days have been.  Bring on Moxley gloriously defeating Lee Moriarty et al.

Kip Sabian doesn't know shit about any sexual assault, Komander and Vikingo love everyone, and the Butcher is just wholesome as fuck.  I wish I'd been paid before Thursday so I could have snagged that Butcher fig I saw at Target earlier this week but fuck, $22 is steep and I'm sure Ringside Collectibles will have it for like 10 in a month.

Also @Dog and @piranesi are excellent dudes, passionate about an issue they're coming at from different sides, but are both good guys that I like.  Please chill, friends.  This is a shitty time.

Also I may or may not have been drinking.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3

I always remember that Lee Moriarty is one of the 3 young guys mentioned by Danielson at the founding of the BCC, so I expect Mox to do a lot to get him over.

• Like 4

I’m just looking forward to relaxing and watching what I hope is some fun wrestling. I’ll be at a state band competition all freaking day. If I don’t pass out and fall asleep then I’ll hopefully enjoy myself.

• Like 1

- Really liked Moxley vs. Moriarty. Everyone knows that the strike exchange is worn out worse than your socks at the very back bottom of the drawer, but when you throw forearms as loud as that? Moriarty did something I think I've never seen that before and that's stop the corner punches before ten just to piss off the crowd. Good job kid. Moxley tried to flick Shane's cap off and failed, so had to physically grab it, haha. Lee actually seemed like Mox was willing to put him over in spots with this and that's about as good as you can ask for. Meanwhile, BCC didn't run in during the beatdown... well, we know where this is going.

- Takeshita match was an ass-stomp of course. Hey, with this at least you can't complain about him just throwing bombs because that's what he's supposed to do. Not on the level of the Darby squash, but then what is? And do you really want to see Daniels' career shortened that bad?

- Didn't watch much of Anna/Ruby but I'll give it to Ruby, she's always willing to take the fall and look good doing it. 

- Eddie could barely contain himself when he brought up Nagata. He is gonna be right at the curtain in Gorilla peeking out, mark my words. Willie Mack gets a shot for a shot! Should be good, and I bet he wins. 

- My attention also took a nose dive for the main. Call it the Kip Effect. Butcher looks so much better without hair up top. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

- Really liked Moxley vs. Moriarty. Everyone knows that the strike exchange is worn out worse than your socks at the very back bottom of the drawer, but when you throw forearms as loud as that? Moriarty did something I think I've never seen that before and that's stop the corner punches before ten just to piss off the crowd. Good job kid. Moxley tried to flick Shane's cap off and failed, so had to physically grab it, haha. Lee actually seemed like Mox was willing to put him over in spots with this and that's about as good as you can ask for. Meanwhile, BCC didn't run in during the beatdown... well, we know where this is going.

- Takeshita match was an ass-stomp of course. Hey, with this at least you can't complain about him just throwing bombs because that's what he's supposed to do. Not on the level of the Darby squash, but then what is? And do you really want to see Daniels' career shortened that bad?

- Didn't watch much of Anna/Ruby but I'll give it to Ruby, she's always willing to take the fall and look good doing it. 

- Eddie could barely contain himself when he brought up Nagata. He is gonna be right at the curtain in Gorilla peeking out, mark my words. Willie Mack gets a shot for a shot! Should be good, and I bet he wins. 

- My attention also took a nose dive for the main. Call it the Kip Effect. Butcher looks so much better without hair up top. 

Fun show. Pretty spot on review above - Morarity v Mox in particular. By hook or by crook, I have a sneaking suspicion Moriarty/Taylor find a way to victory. And if so, very much back the play of an STP tag team push. Everybody knows Moriarty is on his way, but Taylor too is so underrated. Takeshita v Daniels was a nice squash. A post match Don Callis promo tends to be a highlight. The Family feels like such a throwback Mid-South style stable. Not a bunch of pals, but a bunch of asskicking assholes bonded by money and mgmt. Privates/Flights promo was alright. These guys are coming along. Andretti's really trying to get this corny water bottle gimmick over. I skimmed Ruby v Anna, but well laid out. Harley Cameron is so charismatic. I expect her to be a big managerial player some day. Love for Saraya too. Kingston promo was good. Willie Mack is such an excellent competitive enhancement talent. Really digging this Collision line-up. And #FUCKtheROYALRUMBLE. McDamnDirtyman nails the Main Event too: the fucking Kip Effect! Add to that the one fall (WWE) Fatal 4 Way Effect. The Butcher is so likeable, but his shit is not quite tight. If they were ever able to get this Motherfucker an extended stay in Japan, I bet they and he'd reap the benefits. I'd actually read spoilers that Sabian won this match (which added to the dreaded Kip effect). So very grateful for the Kommander win. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

I loved the Kip/Butcher interaction in the main. The best part was Kip convincing him that if they did a double submission they’d both win and Butcher not sure what he was going for. 

• Like 1