DVDVR Message Board

2024 VIDEO GAMES CATCH ALL THREAD

I always just assumed that carrying capacity - for the most part was due to technical limitations

Like I am trying to picture how much more broken a Bethesda game would be if you could bring everything into every environment

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I always just assumed that carrying capacity - for the most part was due to technical limitations

Like I am trying to picture how much more broken a Bethesda game would be if you could bring everything into every environment

I can see that with older games but new games shouldn't have that problem. I mean if there are skyrim and fallout mods that make infinity carrying capacity I am sure developers can do it if they wanted to. I think they think it presents more "tough" decisions to the player, its just not one I enjoy haha

I am not even going to play fallout 4 next gen update unless I am sure the mod for carrying capacity is compatible. I just wanna kill stuff and make shitty settlements.

15 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

As I play Dragon's Dogma 2, and its a good game, I come across a common complaint I have about some games like this. I hate, with a capital H, games with very limited carrying capacity. I get it, they are trying to add an element of realism. But in a game I'm battling dragons, not eating regularly, and going days at a time sometimes without sleeping, can we focus on what is *fun* and not what is realistic?

To add a dissenting voice, my biggest beef with Fallout 4 and Starfield's carrying limit is that it's so damn high and, in Starfield, the penalty for exceeding it is essentially non-existent. Being able to carry 500+ kg of gear without difficulty breaks immersion for me. I'm used to imposing my own realism on games, of course, but for a game to force me to track my own inventory weight and decide when it's too high is a bit much.

(Although thinking it about it more, maybe that means Starfield did it right. Players who hate carrying limits are free to completely ignore them, while players like me can just interpret the "you're carrying too much" message as time to unload some things and not worry about the fact that the game won't actually punish you if you don't.)

And I'm not a big fan of games where you play out your character's every action not requiring you to eat or sleep, either. (Obviously, Street Fighter 2 would not be improved by requiring the fighters to snack or nap in the middle of a fight.) That's another beef I have with Starfield - there are all sorts of interesting foods you can find, and you can devote skill points to learning how to cook yourself - and it's almost completely pointless, because you don't need to eat.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

There need to be more Videogame RPGs that simply accept that nobody really likes equipment mechanics. 

I mean, it's one thing if it's like D&D 5e, where you can start out with a regular Longsword, at low mid-level you might get a Longsword +1, at high-mid level you could possibly get a Longsword +2, and then a Longsword +3 is literally the highest level weapon you can find. Now you might switch it out for a BattleAxe, or find a Sword that does something else fancy like a Vorpal Sword, but that's basically it.

Whereas in Cyberpunk, I've picked up a dozen Shotguns. Some are Power Shotguns, some are Tech Shotguns, some have a DPS of 592, some have a DPS of 603, and some only have a DPS of 304. But it's just, like, option paralysis.

Now this I whole-heartedly agree with. Having some game mechanically distinct options to choose from is great, but having to find higher-level versions of the same weapons is bullshit. (Especially when it's done in a way that makes no sense in-universe. Like, I could see a fantasy game where you eventually gain access to the djinns' bazaar or faerie marketplace and can now buy wonders that most people don't even know exist. But the exact same merchants gradually stocking higher and higher level items as the PC levels up? Get out of here with that crap.)

• Thanks 1

Take Two Interactive is the latest in the massive layoffs department

5% of their staff which equates to roughly 550 employees

Unofficial scuttle is it is being done to help fund the purchase of Gearbox (which is being done via Take Two stock)

24 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Take Two Interactive is the latest in the massive layoffs department

5% of their staff which equates to roughly 550 employees

Unofficial scuttle is it is being done to help fund the purchase of Gearbox (which is being done via Take Two stock)

Last year, Take Two’s CEO Strauss Zelnik’s compensation was 42.1 million USD, which was more two and a half times higher than his 2022 salary at "just" over 16 million USD.

Finished Singularity over the weekend.  Really enjoyed it.  The time mechanics are a lot of fun and the offbeat, high-concept storyline is very interesting. Game has a “Russian BioShock” vibe to it that I dug. Pity it sold poorly and Raven Software got reduced to a Call of Duty support studio.

Been playing second-tier Xbox & PS3 games lately & having a blast. Lollipop Chainsaw, Shadows of the Damned, Ninja Blade, El Shaddai, the Sherlock Holmes games, Afro Samurai, etc. That generation has a lot of slightly janky games that never found an audience but are great fun.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, The Old-Fashioned Gamer said:

Finished Singularity over the weekend.  Really enjoyed it.  The time mechanics are a lot of fun and the offbeat, high-concept storyline is very interesting. Game has a “Russian BioShock” vibe to it that I dug. Pity it sold poorly and Raven Software got reduced to a Call of Duty support studio.

Been playing second-tier Xbox & PS3 games lately & having a blast. Lollipop Chainsaw, Shadows of the Damned, Ninja Blade, El Shaddai, the Sherlock Holmes games, Afro Samurai, etc. That generation has a lot of slightly janky games that never found an audience but are great fun.

If you get a chance to play the PS360 Splatterhouse, do it. It's janky and sleazy and dumb, but it's fun as hell despite being a C+ in every way that SHOULD make for a great game. As far as smashy smashy button mashy combo brawlers go, I get more joy out of that than I do a lot of objectively better games. It also has the uncut version of the arcade game (both the Namco Museum and Arcade Archive releases for Switch have green blood) and both Genesis sequels included as unlockables. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, The Old-Fashioned Gamer said:

The Platinum for Singularity is rough to get - it had annoying multiplayer trophies when they weren't needed.

I guess at some point I'll go back and finish up Lollipop Chainsaw and work on El Shaddai for platinums.

13 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

If you get a chance to play the PS360 Splatterhouse, do it. It's janky and sleazy and dumb, but it's fun as hell despite being a C+ in every way that SHOULD make for a great game. As far as smashy smashy button mashy combo brawlers go, I get more joy out of that than I do a lot of objectively better games. It also has the uncut version of the arcade game (both the Namco Museum and Arcade Archive releases for Switch have green blood) and both Genesis sequels included as unlockables. 

“Janky, sleazy, and dumb”  sums up my feelings about Splatterhouse too, lol.  But, yeah, it”s a lot of fun. PS3 era has a lot of janky, unpolished games that I nonetheless like an awful lot.  Ninja Blade, anyone?  I mean, you ride a motorcycle straight down the side of a skyscraper into a giant parasite’s open mouth.  If that’s not your idea of entertainment, I don’t know what to tell you.

I own physical copies of Splatterhouse for both PS3 & X360.   

Edited by The Old-Fashioned Gamer
  • Like 1

Had to make a pit stop at Walmart for supplies yesterday.

Took a quick run through the video game section and spotted Mass Effect Legendary for $5.

Only discovered the series through PS+ last year and really liked it, so I picked it up.

Walmart also had Diablo 4 ($20) and Gotham Knights ($10).

I may go back and get Gotham Knights, but Diablo/Blizzard is on my shit list.

• Like 1

Random "Old guy" thought:

I was telling one of my friends I saw something about Helldivers 2 coming to game pass (he had been looking to trade with someone for a copy on PS5), and I originally said "you can play on Steam/Xbox with mouse and keypad or joystick" and then had to correct myself to controller.

I guess you can't call em joysticks any more when A) the main movement thing is a keypad or thumbstick rather then an upright stick and B) they have more then 2 buttons 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

Why does the cynic in me expect splitting things into various groups to be just a trick to move all the losses into one of them for some sort of tax thing I don't understand

Or like I've been saying since Embracer has started, their company is a money laundering front. They were counting on Saudi Arabia to finance the company and that fell through.

2 hours ago, Tabe said:

Even by game company standards, those names are stupid. 

I mean, "Asmodee" is a meaningless made-up word, but at least it's already a well-known brand. So I'd say "Asmodee Group" isn't terrible.

The other two are pretty bad, though.

• Like 1

Capcom Fighting Evolution was met with mixed reactions when it came out, but I like it. It's alright. 

Neo Geo Battle Coliseum was the better game, shame no sequel. I can't find the disc, I might have to buy it again. 

13 hours ago, Kang said:

Capcom Fighting Evolution was met with mixed reactions when it came out, but I like it. It's alright. 

Neo Geo Battle Coliseum was the better game, shame no sequel. I can't find the disc, I might have to buy it again. 

Everyone wanted a 2v2 or 3v3 game and got a wet fart.

Having Red Earth characters in the game is cool, but not re-drawing the Darkstalkers sprites is very uncool. Look at Leo standing next to Morrigan or Hauser standing next to Jedah. Absurd.

Fuck that game.

Dave the Diver is cute but it's one of those games that tries to do a lot of things and doesn't end up doing any of them particularly well.

• Like 1