DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JANUARY 2024

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Big AEW vs. NJPW match just announced:

Hide contents

Bryan Danielson vs. Zack Sabre Jr, 11th February at NJPW The New Beginning in Osaka. Bryan Danielson vs. Zack Sabre Jr at AEW WrestleDream 2023 was ***** and my 2023 MOTY. Can't wait for the rematch!

YES!!!! YES!!! YES!!! YESSS!!!! Guess who's going to be there live and in person to see Bryan vs ZSJ II. My buddy from Tokyo is making the trip so we can watch it together. Dragon vs the 7-time Bryan Danielson Award winner volume one made both of our top 3 matches lists last year. We are SO stoked to get to see the re-match live. Plus,Ospreay's last match as a full time NJ  wrestler before joining the AEW roster (which will be a 10-man steel cage UE vs BCWD match)! And the other two matches that have been announced are also at least AEW-adjacent. Hikuleo (who had a US title match with Lance Archer on AEW TV) is in a tag title match vs KENTA (who attacked Mox on AEW TV) and all three of the current NJ trios champs (Okada, Tanahashi, & Ishii) have fought in AEW as well. Okada in another of my 2023 MOTYs and Ishii in one of my 2022 MOTYCs! Plus Hikuleo's partner, El Phantasmo, is a guy whom I have seen dive from a balcony through a table that I was standing next to, in a tiny hall in Vancouver. So that's cool, to see him in a big title match in a large arena in Japan all these years later. But. Dude. BRYAN VS ZSJ!!! I am SO HAPPY!

0L1sTGW.jpg

Edited by Gordi the former AEW fan
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Gordi the former AEW fan said:

YES!!!! YES!!! YES!!! YESSS!!!! Guess who's going to be there live and in person to see Bryan vs ZSJ II. My buddy from Tokyo is making the trip so we can watch it together. Dragon vs the 7-time Bryan Danielson Award winner volume one made both of our top 3 matches lists last year. We are SO stoked to get to see the re-match live. Plus,Ospreay's last match as a full time NJ  wrestler before joining the AEW roster (which will be a 10-man steel cage UE vs BCWD match)! And the other two matches that have been announced are also at least AEW-adjacent. Hikuleo (who had a US title match with Lance Archer on AEW TV) is in a tag title match vs KENTA (who attacked Mox on AEW TV) and all three of the current NJ trios champs (Okada, Tanahashi, & Ishii) have fought in AEW as well. Okada in another of my 2023 MOTYs and Ishii in one of my 2022 MOTYCs! Plus Hikuleo's partner, El Phantasmo, is a guy whom I have seen dive from a balcony through a table that I was standing next to, in a tiny hall in Vancouver. So that's cool, to see him in a big title match in a large arena in Japan all these years later. But. Dude. BRYAN VS ZSJ!!! I am SO HAPPY!

I thought you might be as Osaka rang a bell today when I read the announcement. Glad you're get to see Bryan Danielson vs. Zack Sabre Jr live. Please give some additional Bryan Danielson chants for me from you even though it's against my fellow Brit. Normally I'd be cheering for ZSJ. Thank you. Yes!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, sabremike said:

Saw Captain Lou all the time at St James for mass in Carmel, NY. I wasn't there for this but one time a group of Satanists staged a protest outside of the church and were confronted by Captain Lou. CAPTAIN LOU VS SATANISTS! If anyone who is better at this interwebs thing can find the news article on this (early 90's) I will love you forever.

I've been trying to find this periodically since I saw your post yesterday, and everything is coming back with either 1) him and Ozzy at Mania or 2) this reddit post which has me in tearss58iz0lhtoo51.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I met Konnan at a Burger King right before my first house show in Auburn Hills. He wasn't friendly but I can imagine having a hyper 11 year old asking you to sign his copy of WOW Magazine isn't the most fun thing when you are trying to order a Whopper. I did buy the K-Dawg 187 shirt that promptly got me in trouble at school (not as bad as the Young Jeezy "Snowman" shirt but close). 

Here's the DDT Digest write up:

https://ddtdigest.com/updates/h0000169.htm

Friend of mine in high school ran into Captain Lou at a restaurant in the Flats in Cleveland. This would've been around 00-02. 

He signed a bunch of coasters from the bar and my friend gave me one, which I still have.

• Like 3

Seems like his biggest accomplishments were planning the big overseas shows/tours in the past, like the first Saudi show, the Super Showdown in Australia and their tour of India. I think he helped them put together WrestleMania in 2011, too.

Irby + Jarrett means AEW Ring Ka King 2.0 incoming!

• Like 1

@Infinitcrying laughing at some of those replies. "They just added up the numbers for all three shows!" Uhhh, yeah? Correct?

In all, I must agree with you that it seems like the prelude to great news that they included AEW -  I mean, I'm no expert, but I don't seem to recall any network in the history of television ever touting the numbers for shows they were planning on cancelling...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

@Infinitcrying laughing at some of those replies. "They just added up the numbers for all three shows!" Uhhh, yeah? Correct?

In all, I must agree with you that it seems like the prelude to great news that they included AEW -  I mean, I'm no expert, but I don't seem to recall any network in the history of television ever touting the numbers for shows they were planning on cancelling...

10000%

Doesn't sound like they are downplaying AEW's success. I'm sure this is all brought up during their negotiations. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

I can't wait to see the moving of the goal posts from certain posters......

I can, their acts are so fucking tired. If only the "ignore" function could do even more...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Coletti said:

I can, their acts are so fucking tired. If only the "ignore" function could do even more...

You're right, I should probably be careful what I wish for.  I already saw someone on FB basically calling WBD "liars" and "AeLiens" making stuff up....so the disconnect is already out there.

But sometimes, seeing the stages of mental gymnastics can be fulfilling in small doses.

• Like 3

https://twitter.com/tonykhan/status/1744835475901227380

A moral victory for USA is one win more than their World Title challenger Jinder Mahal has in the past 364 days... because it's been literally a full year since he won a match. You really put AEW in our place getting Jinder Mahal in a big match on your tv show. Do it more often

Tony Khan really showed that USA Network social media intern what for. That was an All Elite clapback. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Serious question: Was there really backlash over the prospect of Joe vs Hook? I’ve literally seen none. Some people seem excited. Where is he even scrolling? 

I saw a bunch of discourse over it on Facebook, but then again, that's Facebook where trolls/mutants are left unchecked with reckless abandon....so i wouldn't really count it.  Other than that, nada.   But, if it was that bad on Facebook, i can imagine it was just as, if not worse on Twitter where TK likes to reside.

• Like 1