DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 12/6 - 12/12/2023 - Always Bet On Black

Dolfan in NYC

Things I remember from this week's episode of AEW Dynamite:

Moxley and Rush hit each other hard. Rush sold Moxley's finish like Hercules vs Sid in 1992.

Roddy doesn't have a wheelchair anymore. The fans did not like him while speaking French.

Hangman is back from being hanged on PPV and he's getting into it with MJF too

Swerve beat Mark Briscoe

Four ninjas surrounded the ring. The Black Scorpion beat up MJF. No MJF/Joe tag match.

A very special introduction for Toni Storm and she retains. Riho is back.

Jay White beats Jay Lethal. All three CC matches tonight had predictable winners as clearly it's White/Swerve/Moxley in one group and Rush/Briscoe/Lethal.

Christian and Edge wrestled each other for a bit until the superpredictable heel turn by Nick Wayne's mom.

The only surprise from this show was the commentators being at ringside.

Next week, the Von Erichs got booked for a show in the Dallas area.

• Like 2

Pretty good one here. Rush/Mox was passable but I expected more. Moxley is looking real tired, just like he told us. I didn't notice but he had a badass BATTLARTS NEVER DIE shirt on for the spot with Swerve. Swerve vs. Chicken was great! Nice grinding pace, hard hitting, quality stuff. Swerve's two big moves being 1. jumping past someone while pretending to kick them from behind and doing a thigh slap and 2. appearing to teabag someone from the top rope don't matter because he is so good at everything else. We probably knew our lovable goober Mark wasn't gonna make it but hell, he's still a roadblock. Mankiewicz showing up just killed me. The only thing better would have been him getting a closing bit where he talked about how she prepared for the match or something. Anyway, it was the Battle of the Butts and it was pretty good and buttastic. Skye even stole the hip butt attack and did an Ohtani corner kick for good measure. Toni's gear now is looking more like an old timey swimsuit or bloomers pulled up too high too. Jay White had an Owen slobber on his face and that's all I saw of that. Von Erichs are not in MLW... hmmm... Finally we got a TV crusher from Christian/Edge. Edge worked the hand, Christian worked the jaw, Christian was such a chickenshit he threw the ref back in the ring to count Edge out right before the break. End was the ga-ga that was coming but oh well. Me likey.

What was Renee wearing tonight though? It looked like the pattern of Ricky from Trailer Park Boys' shirt drawn giant. And from the glare it might've also came from Ric Flair's Furniture Emporium and Suit Rentals.

• Like 4

I’m guessing the beer bottle is supposed to make people think that Hangman is the devil now. But at the same time, MJF not getting attacked on camera adds to Roddy’s theory that it’s MJF, because it can be said that he wasn’t actually attacked, he just laid down and faked it. 

Speaking of Roddy, he finally had his Grandpa Joe moment tonight. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Jon Moxley's BattlARTS shirt. 

If one is a available I will be ordering one.

Don't quite get putting Hangman in there as a red herring for The Devil. What I like about this storyline is how many enemies Max has made over the years but too many suspects makes it distracting. The fake out on the goon squad surrounding Joe was cool though. 

Glad Switchblade is still alive points-wise, feels like Swerve is the favorite out of the Wednesday bracket though, this might be his tourney to win at this point.

Really great main event and nice payoff to Adam Co...plenad (can we just call him Edge) mercing Wayne. Not that Wayne's mom has a valid reason to side with Christian but to turn against Copeland. Unless she sees that Christian is taking a genuine interest in Wayne (which... he has...)

Only problem with these round robins is someone's gotta eat some falls and it's a shame Mark Briscoe has this. At least with 10 man fields in the G1 you have a match or two for someone to get a nice shine win but with the smaller 5 man groupings it's like... okay, you know who's out and who has a sliver of a chance left.

• Like 1

If they really wanted to make Hangman a super red herring, have Hangman dress in the Devil's goon outfit and screw Swerve during the Classic, to make sure he doesn't advance.

Hangman is not the Devil, but dressed up buying a hoodie at ShopAEW.com just to screw Swerve.  The actual devil is someone else.  Jay then Advances by beating Mox and having the tiebreaker.

I love that Hookhausen got cheered but Omega’s match was met with indifference. Maybe because it was taped last night and he wouldn’t be there in person, who knows. Just… interesting.

Also, people, stop trying to make Swerve & Hangman fit into this stupid Devil shit. They’re above it.

47 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

gonna be wild next week when Fritz Von Erich is unveiled as the devil despite being dead for 26 years

Gonna be wild when AEW goes full bore on getting a letter writing campaign going for Toni Storm to be cast as the lead in John Ford's new motion picture when John Ford has been literally dead for 50 years. I so want this to happen.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Gonna be wild when AEW goes full bore on getting a letter writing campaign going for Toni Storm to be cast as the lead in John Ford's new motion picture when John Ford has been literally dead for 50 years. I so want this to happen.

AI can do anything, except properly render hands

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

That was a super good show, very low on bullshit. MJF/Hangman and Swerve/Mox backstage segments were near-perfect in length, tone, and angle progression. I'll take 1000 more of these over in-ring promos any day of the week. This episode had a real winning formula IMO: killer matches, and concise, effective promos and packages. A few notable faces were missing, but the main event was good enough with enough star power from those guys that it more than made up for those who didn't make the trip (even if it did have a flashing neon 'screwy finish' sign above it since it was announced).

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 3

Overall, a solid show. I can't blame Nick Wayne's mom for turning on Adam Copeland. The man scrambled her son's brains in front of her. That's still her son at the end of the day. Not exactly what the internet is calling a "Russo swerve" because it actually made sense. 

Swerve is another step closer to winning the tournament and becoming world champion. Once he wins the tournament and world title, he will be a quadruple champion. 

The only bad feeling I have from the show is Tony Khan isn't going to figure out how to pay off the devil reveal. These long-term mystery angles almost never work or have a good payoff. Who drove the Hummer? Who ran over Steve Austin? The Black Scorpion. Who killed Vince McMahon? The Anonymous Raw GM. The Black Scorpion again.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Overall, a solid show. I can't blame Nick Wayne's mom for turning on Adam Copeland. The man scrambled her son's brains in front of her. That's still her son at the end of the day. Not exactly what the internet is calling a "Russo swerve" because it actually made sense. 

We have reason to believe that you see + deal with a significantly shittier part of the online wrestling community than the rest of us do.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Who killed Vince McMahon? 

Didn't that last all of two weeks and promptly ended due to real life circumstances? That's not long term. Ole Anderson and Dusty feuded for like five years.

Another awesome night in the Continental Classic, Swerve/Briscoe was the showstealer for me. Though I'm sad that Mark had to go 0-3 and be the first one basically eliminated. 

Welcome back RIHO! Always great to see. Plus more Abadon on Rampage.  Pretty fun main event.

the Hangman/MJF segment was out of nowhere but I loved it, great tension and callbacks to their history.  Kinda glad the Devils tag didn't happen, otherwise I'd be annoyed at why they didn't just pull the masks off asap.

Hyped for the Von Erichs next week! Hope they get "Stranglehold" for the entrance. Swerve/Moxley should be epic. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nineteen said:

If one is a available I will be ordering one.

You can buy one from Casebolt https://www.redbubble.com/i/t-shirt/BATTLARTS-NEVER-DIE-by-FALLWrestling/34160402.IJ6L0

The scratch booking in the CC is kind of a bummer.  Is Swerve's push really so fragile he can't drop a shock fall to Mark Briscoe so you can stretch the tension out for another week and give him a little rub?  All three tourney matches were good, at least.  Lethal and Briscoe in particular have been wrestling their asses off.

I liked the main event more than I anticipated, but I'm a sucker for a good "we know each other's every move" match and thought they worked it smart.  But this whole angle is a trash fire and I just hope Nick Wayne makes it out unscathed.

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

The only bad feeling I have from the show is Tony Khan isn't going to figure out how to pay off the devil reveal. These long-term mystery angles almost never work or have a good payoff. Who drove the Hummer? Who ran over Steve Austin? The Black Scorpion. Who killed Vince McMahon? The Anonymous Raw GM. The Black Scorpion again.

I'd be on board with the Devil being revealed as Ric Flair here. 

Everyone's expecting Ric to turn on the Stinger one last time, instead he's tried making good with Sting, and softening up MJF for Sting to have his last match with the champ, except Sting wants to wrestle Darby. 

Sting beats MJF, gives a shot to Darby, who surprises him with a flash pin, new champion. EVERYONE LIKES WRESTLEMANIA 9.

• Like 2