DVDVR Message Board

December 2023 Wrestling Talk

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I really wanna know if Finnish wrestling is gonna have its own regional twist, like Finnish hardcore punk (totally unhinged) and death metal (emphasis on doom and super heavy).Β 

There has been some pretty hardcore stuff in Fight Club Finland shows about a decade ago. The documentary however, showed this hipster looking weird mustached motherfucker promising his grandmother that it's all safe, so I don't see that guy (for instance) going too unhinged, I'm afraid.

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I bet that show will have alot of cool Finnishing Moves!

Β 

😁😁😁😁😁

Take your pick on which lazy finisher name would have worked better for Ludvig Borga

The Finnisher

or

The Finnish Fling

The latter being a phrase that might tip people off as to which theme park I went to as a kid.

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Fuuuuck. Β Now I can’t hear two wrestlers from Finland trying to plan a match, and getting confused, Who’s on First style, when one asks the other β€œwhat’s your finish?”

Hmm... I think the "who's on first" bit would be even more confusing in Finnish because AFAIR, there is no special intonation for questions in Finnish, am I right @Shartnado?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sparkleface said:

I just want to know if Jessica Love is doing okay. She's cool.

There was a documentary about her and Michael (the Starbuck-guy) some years ago (let's say 5-ish, could be more) and around that time I saw some program where she had a professional photoshoot and I remember that she was very happy how they turned out. Unfortunately, I have no information on how her life has been since then.

18 minutes ago, Robert S said:

Hmm... I think the "who's on first" bit would be even more confusing in Finnish because AFAIR, there is no special intonation for questions in Finnish, am I right @Shartnado?

Yeah, questions only have suffixes and stuff and the word order is usually different than in statements, but no difference in intonation.

14 hours ago, Infinit said:

That Sting/Cactus match actually originally aired on Worldwide, which featured a month of Submit or Surrender" main events.

Looking at the list of Submit or Surrender matches on YouTube and I can understand why Sting/Jack is the only one we remember

the others were

Bobby Eaton vs Johnny B Badd which was probably at least acceptable

PN News vs Mr Hughes which presumably ended with Hughes falling asleep (edit: amazing BS ending for this one)

Firebreaker Chip vs Larry Zbyszko (edit: in which Firebreaker Chip looks like a complete idiot to end the match)

Big Josh vs Thomas Rich (edit: a better match than it had right to be)

β€”

edit: just watched Sting vs Cactus and it sure was nice of Mick to end the match with a batshit crazy bump that you only anticipate moments before it happens

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Big Josh and Thomas Rich is the only other match that had any kind of personal situation that warranted that sort of match, although I don't think their past was actually brought up lol. Big Josh was Tommy Rich's hunting buddy when Josh was debuted in WCW.

Edited by Infinit
  • Thanks 1

The JR version of the Submit or Surrender match (which had a logical explanation for having the match on two different TV shows with different commentators) also had JR talking about how there’s something wrong with you if you didn’t like the November 1991 Clash so I figure JR is firing live rounds at somebody that he wasn’t naming.

Theres also a long Big Josh 2/3 falls match from Saturday Night in 1992. I wonder if that’s worthwhile or an offense to God and the Angels. Borne was hitting Rich hard at times during their Submit/Surrender match too.

9 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Why was Wildfire going under "Thomas Rich"? Was he a member of Regal's brigade or something?Β 

Rich/Big Josh was also fun for the spin of β€œAlexandria York isn’t using her β€˜computer’ because it doesn’t have a program for Submit or Surrender matches” (of course it was used in the finish)

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

The JR version of the Submit or Surrender match (which had a logical explanation for having the match on two different TV shows with different commentators) also had JR talking about how there’s something wrong with you if you didn’t like the November 1991 Clash so I figure JR is firing live rounds at somebody that he wasn’t naming.

Theres also a long Big Josh 2/3 falls match from Saturday Night in 1992. I wonder if that’s worthwhile or an offense to God and the Angels. Borne was hitting Rich hard at times during their Submit/Surrender match too.

Big Josh had a pretty good TV title match against Steve Austin in October/November 91 on WCW Main Event.