DVDVR Message Board

November 2023 Wrestling Talk

1 minute ago, (BP) said:

All I know is that I switched to showers after the first time I saw My Cousin Vinny, because elementary school me knew it was time to put childish things away and Marisa Tomei needed a man.

Marisa Tomei in that movie had 6th grade me showering 3x a day, but I digress.

Also not putting Zimb down as childish for the record lol - I pictured it as a very luxurious, zen-filled situation. A little candle light, maybe smoke a nice J, and you fire up a bull rope match. That sounds straight up delightful.

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

That is some hilariously macho shit right there. "I was nuttin all nite longa, you sapped mah energy! Not all the tigah bone drink I drank could help me!"

Is there footage of that Bowe/Golota fight or any other boxing riots still there where you can see anything and it's not just a mess, or the footage was taken away by the cops and never returned? Got to be something out there.

I mean there is always some footage that some international feed (usually like Sky sports) that catches something else so I wouldn't be surprised if there is more out there. However, in a world pre camera phones, I am pretty sure HBO caught the bulk of it. 

I mean if that happens and you're part of the camera crew, you're getting out of dodge. I'm actually surprised they caught what they did cause Lampley, Merchant, and I believe George Foreman as well got the fuck away from ringside and went up into an upper level of MSG to finish the broadcast. Matter of fact, it was still going on in pockets of the arena while they were trying to recap everything and go off the air. It was nuts.

Funny that all this comes up cause yesterday afternoon having the day off from work, I watched the Larry Holmes vs. Renaldo Snipes fight at the Pittsburgh Civic Arena (being a Pittsburgh native, Kevin Iole said this was first fight he covered), which is one before I believe Holmes fought Cooney and actually not too long after Holmes fought Trevor Berbick. The TLDR version of it was this was just suppose to be another title defense for Holmes against a middle of the road contender on the road to his huge payday against Gerry Cooney, Snipes gives Holmes more trouble than expected, Snipes cleans Larry's clock on a knockdown, the referee doesn't stop it, Holmes eventually rallies later on, drops Renaldo Snipes, and the referee stops it. This was one of those fights where Snipes actually turned the crowd, which didn't know him at the time cause he was virtually unknown, in his favor and won them over. Howard Cosell even notes before the fight how the arena is only half full but Snipes is telling everyone who would listen this is going to be a closer fight than they realized. And it was.

However, the post fight is where things turn ugly cause the Snipes is (probably rightly so) extremely livid with the stoppage given that boxing politics dictates Snipes shouldn't fuck up the Holmes vs. Cooney fight that had already been set up for March of 1982, which was four months after this fight. I mean we just got some recently like that with Fury vs. Ngannou and Fury vs. Usyk already being made (and now postponed again). Maybe Snipes was on to something cause Cooney was suppose to have a tuneup against perennial tough out Joe Bugner a couple weeks after this on CBS, only for that tuneup magically getting canceled cause of a Cooney injury, and both Holmes and Cooney went directly to the fight against each other. This was a best laid plans thing, and Snipes almost upset the apple cart.

Just like what ABC use to do with the fighters on every broadcast if they had time, they would let Howard Cosell interview them. They brought a still very angry Renaldo Snipes and his conqueror Larry Holmes down to the broadcast table. Larry is actually very cool at first, but Snipes isn't having that as he feels like the referee screwed him over. He isn't feeling the sportsmanship thing at all. That's when this thing happens next and a riot breaks out in the Pittsburgh Civic Arena.

https://twitter.com/RingsideSeatMag/status/1456992421905149957

This is only a piece of it, but it was pretty ugly scene afterwards. They caught what they catch and then promptly went off the air.

Sidenote: Afterwards, we got an appearance from Corny's favorite man James J. Binns and his signature pinstripe suit seeing as the Pennsylvania commission oversaw it. He was Jack Tunney before Jack Tunney.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I saw all these posts from most recent to oldest and thought Austin Idol had a problem with Stan Lane, not Stan Hansen

I think the only people who had a problem with Sweet Stan being too stiff were the rats. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Missy is tweeting from the convention in NYC, lots of photos of her with a bunch of folks.

She's one of my favorite follows on there. Say what you want about her but she obviously still loves the business and absolutely respects nearly everyone involved in it. 

• Like 3

You gotta love total pro Cosell almost getting trampled but just ducking down and rambling out an anecdote about how Dan Rather got punched in a similar situation but responded "It's all in a day's work."

I've seen a story that keeps coming up in my Facebook about someone else on the international crew bitching about Stan's stiffness in AJPW so I believe it was Dan Kroffat who just ended up legit stretching him and him settling down after that. Was that Austin Idol who did the interview about it? I can't remember. 

Anyway what I really want to know is James Mitchell's story on DOING COCAINE WITH A DISPOSABLE PLASTIC SPOON~!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Going through the Missy pics from the convention... somehow Bushwhacker/Sheepherder Luke looks like he hasn't aged and it also looks like his face is made of wax

One thing about the Bushwhackers that always comes up is how they were so much more violent before the WWF but the thing I noticed, and I typed this in another thread, is that the Sheepherders were pretty good micworkers. Like I gotta think that they did some micwork in the WWF and someone whispered to them to maybe dumb it down a little, and/or their WWF promos were always much shorter than their JCP promos and it was mostly them talking like they're riding in a rollercoaster as they talked (lots of "Heyyyyy oooooh" sort of stuff)

Well I mean Duggan is the same way.

He was never Mr. Intelligence, but he could still cut a strong promo within reason of what his character was. I don't think Vince wanted full on caricature like Duggan would become later on, but that walking tall All-American patriot being fully fleshed out is more a territory character and not something you would have saw as WWF moved deeper into national expansion. Duggan had to tone it down to a more 2D character.

Anyone remember when Haku was cutting promos just like a regular dude? Then at some point he could no longer talk and then just became full on savage in WCW. He did a reverse Headshrinkers. 

• Like 4

watching Florida State/Miami and realizing "of course a partnership between the Rock and Faarooq was gonna fall apart, the Rock played for Miami and Faarooq played for Florida State"

I'd use George Steele as an extreme example of Vince not wanting monsters to be eloquent promos

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I think the only people who had a problem with Sweet Stan being too stiff were the rats. 😉

I was down for a "Lauren Boebert's mom" joke, until I saw where he actually did a paternity test to prove it wasn't true.  Which actually makes me sad.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

27 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

watching Florida State/Miami and realizing "of course a partnership between the Rock and Faarooq was gonna fall apart, the Rock played for Miami and Faarooq played for Florida State"

I'd use George Steele as an extreme example of Vince not wanting monsters to be eloquent promos

I have not seen much of early Brody, but mid 1980s Bruiser Brody wouldn't have worked as a full time WWF character just cause it was as much Frank Goodish as it was crazy beast.

Given what they did to John Nord later on, they would have had Brody eating raw steaks and trying to jam whole sticks of butter into a toaster. He would have been full on stupid caveman.

5 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Marisa Tomei in that movie had 6th grade me showering 3x a day, but I digress.

Also not putting Zimb down as childish for the record lol - I pictured it as a very luxurious, zen-filled situation. A little candle light, maybe smoke a nice J, and you fire up a bull rope match. That sounds straight up delightful.

R.1dad3b04572d41a95a1540bbf11c94c7?rik=e

You need to shower after the bath, dude all the dead skin, oil, dirt that the bath will bring out of your skin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Idol didn't like how stiff/snug Stan was in the ring. 

I'm also on Team Bath at home, partially due to logistical reasons and partially due to medical reasons. On road in hotels, it's whatever you get in your room. 

Oh yeah no argument here, you'd have to be a fucking psycho to take a bath in a hotel. You don't know what was very, very recently going on in that thing. If I'm on the road and I don't smell bleach in the hotel tub/shower I will 100% wear flip flops in there. I've seen too many good men and women go down to athletes foot over the years (now imagine sitting in it). Now obviously your deals different for medical purposes, but even if we get a handicapped room for whatever reason (it's happened twice completely randomly) or a room with a sauna, i'll adhere to the rule on the shower bench and throw a towel down before I sit if I don't smell at least one mustard gas ingredient

@zendragonyou get it, man. You've got zen in your name FFS, how could you not

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

In that case, Rock and Lex could have been a tag team. 

10 hours ago, nate said:

I was down for a "Lauren Boebert's mom" joke, until I saw where he actually did a paternity test to prove it wasn't true.  Which actually makes me sad.

It made me thankful that Sweet Stan wasn't responsible for her.  It's pretty clear it wasn't him, Stan would have had enough class to get busy in the rest room at the theater.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Haha 4

23 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

This rules. Settle a debate among my IRL friends and I, please:

Recently in our group chat, it came up that none of us had taken a bath since we were really young, we're all shower guys and gals, so we were talking hypothetically about the following: in an adult bathtime situation, do you shower off first then soak your clean self in the water, or do you sit your unclean self in the water then shower the human broth off after? I'm sure by my phrasing you can tell where I land so apologies if you represent the opposing view on this one

So obviously the ideal would be quick shower-bath-shower but who has time for that?  I'm shower after since I got an office job and usually aren't stinking too bad when I get in.

Also you and your friends are missing out, a nice soak is my favorite small indulgence.  My wife got me a bath pillow and a silicone can holder that sticks on the wall, I got a 5 gallon bucket next to the tub I can set the ipad on for wrasslin.  Just pick a random show and have a beer and maybe a pinner and zone out for an hour.  Treat yo self, buddy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1