DVDVR Message Board

2023-24 NCAA Basketball Thread

Pete

Kicking off the season with Iowa women shattering the women's attendance mark for the Crossover at Kinnick charity exhibition against DePaul. 55,646 in the house.

Caitlin Clark went off for 34/11/10, which is also more points than the Hawkeyes football team has scored on their own field since 2021. 🤷

• Like 2

• Pete pinned this topic

Ten days before the season starts, the NIT announced a change to their selection policy. Teams who win their regular season league title but not the conference tourney will no longer get auto-bids to the NIT if they don't make the dance.

This is unlikely to matter to the big conferences, but a whole lot of mid-major conference commissioners are pissed and talking about it as something that will lead to them pushing and voting for an expansion to the NCAA tournament.

19 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Ten days before the season starts, the NIT announced a change to their selection policy. Teams who win their regular season league title but not the conference tourney will no longer get auto-bids to the NIT if they don't make the dance.

This is unlikely to matter to the big conferences, but a whole lot of mid-major conference commissioners are pissed and talking about it as something that will lead to them pushing and voting for an expansion to the NCAA tournament.

Here me out, I've got an idea. A.......round robin tournament........ where every team in a league plays every other team twice. We'll award points based on wins and losses, 1pt for wins, 0 for losses. At the end of that tournament, the team with the most points gets the automatic berth into postseason tournaments. 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Here me out, I've got an idea. A.......round robin tournament........ where every team in a league plays every other team twice. We'll award points based on wins and losses, 1pt for wins, 0 for losses. At the end of that tournament, the team with the most points gets the automatic berth into postseason tournaments. 

That wouldn't really change the problem here that the NIT made a huge change to the rules that is going to almost certainly lead to more first place mid-major teams getting left out while like 9th place power conference teams get bids to the postseason.

Even more, a lot of teams who will rant to play in the NIT will be left out for a bunch of disinterested teams that only cared about the big dance.

On 10/30/2023 at 6:46 AM, RIPPA said:

Pace beat St John's in an exhibition game

It should be noted Pace is a D2 school

And Louisville lost to D2 Kentucky Wesleyan.

Now, I'd like to say these exhibition games are meaningless, but my Illini just beat Kansas in one, so obviously they are very meaningful.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Log said:

Now, I'd like to say these exhibition games are meaningless, but my Illini just beat Kansas in one, so obviously they are very meaningful.

Yeah, I kept getting caught between, "eh, it's just an exhibition, I can do something else" and, "...but if they beat Kansas..."

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SirFozzie said:

yup, sounds like he was suffering froim Alzheimers

No matter what you think about his personality, he's one of the greatest basketball coaches (pro or college) of all time

I'll give Knight credit for one thing: being willing, at an early date, to call out the hypocrisy of John Wooden. Wooden cheated like crazy but everybody ignored it and Knight was willing to say something in the 1970s when Wooden was at his height. 

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 1

I became “not a fan” while I was there, but 

a. He made his players go to class.

b. His sweater money was donated to the library, so I benefitted from it. 

since I was a manager for my high school team, I had the invitation to apply to be a manager on the basketball team. But my first semester was kinda chaotic, so it would have been a bad fit.

• Like 1

Stat I saw on Twitter that I didn't fact check but does put Bobby Knight the coach into perspective (not Bobby Knight the human being who is, uh... Complex)

He won three national titles and at one point had the most wins of any D1 coach ever. He had exactly one player in his entire coaching career that became an All-Star in the NBA (Isiah Thomas.)

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 1

So the NCAA is claiming the changes to the NIT were made to compete against a new postseason tournament that is coming in 2025

Gavitt said Wednesday the changes were necessary in order to compete with the new postseason tournament in the works.

"The NIT has a new, credible and imminent challenge in the competitive postseason space. Every indication is that a new postseason event is planned to start in 2025," Gavitt said. "The event is well-organized, imagined and funded with a competitive broadcast component and location.

"As a result of all that, we believe we needed to change and evolve the NIT to compete with the best available teams and conferences, given new postseason opportunities that are presented to them. The changes are a preemptive attempt to keep the NIT viable long-term, frankly."

Gavitt was referring to a new tournament featuring the top 16 teams from the Big East, Big Ten and Big 12 that didn't make the NCAA tournament. The Messenger reported in September that Fox Sports is behind the event, which would be played at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.