DVDVR Message Board

WrestleDream - 10/1/2023

Dolfan in NYC

Oh, my life is changing everyday, In every possible way...
And oh, my dreams, It's never quite as it seems...
Never quite as it seems...

Live!  From "Amazon Doesn't Want You To Remember They're The Sponsor" Arena, It's WrestleDream!

THE CARD~

FOR THE UNIFIED RING OF HONOR WORLD & NJPW STRONG OPENWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIPS - Eddie Kingston (c) vs. Katsuyori Shibata

2 OUT OF 3 FALLS MATCH FOR THE TNT CHAMPIONSHIP - Christian Cage (c) vs. Darby Allin

FOR THE TBS CHAMPIONSHIP - Kris Statlander (c) vs. Julia Hart 

FOR THE AEW TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - FTR (Bald / Gun, c) vs. Aussie Open (Fletcher / Davis)

FOR THE ROH TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - Better Than You, Bay Bay (Friedman / Cole, c) vs. The Righteous (Vincent / Dutch)

FOUR WAY TAG MATCH FOR THE #1 CONTENDERSHIP TO THE AEW TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - The Young Bucks (M. Jackson / N. Jackson) vs. The Gunns (A. Gunn / C. Gunn) vs. The Lucha Brothers (Fenix / Penta) vs. Orange Cassidy and Hook

Zach Sabre, Jr. vs. Bryan Danielson

Swerve Strickland vs. Hangman Adam Page

Chris Jericho and Golden Lovers (Omega / Ibushi) vs. The Don Callis Family (Takeshita / Guevara / Ospreay)

Wheeler Yuta vs. Ricky Starks

--

Wiki says this PPV is named after Inoki, whom Mr. Kahn called "Wrestling's greatest dreamer."  Somewhere, Tommy is crying... 😢

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

So with no AEW World title defense it’s a safe bet Danielson/Sabre Jr is the main event right? I can’t see them giving Darby the spot, and considering he and Swerve are the only others from the area I’m pretty sure I named the main event.

And to go with something I mentioned in the weekly tv topic there’s five matches I’d say I’ll buy the PPV for (ranked in order of excitement):

Bryan Danielson vs Zack Sabre Jr

Christian Cage vs Darby Allin 2 out of 3 Falls

Kris Statlander vs Julia Hart

Hangman Adam Page vs Swerve Strickland

Don Callis Family vs Kenny Omega/Chris Jericho/Kota Ibushi

The other matches I’m either not that interested in (FTR vs Aussie Open mainly) or I feel the outcome is super obvious (Eddie over Shibata, Young Bucks winning tag team money in the bank, Better Than You BayBay over The Righteous). But the five I listed are more than enough to get my $50. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Sadly I am moving on this day. I will likely not watch this until maybe the next day or the day after. Which is a shame, Danielson vs Sabre Jr alone is worth the ppv price (or theater ticket price 😈). 😞

Tell me about it, I missed All In AND All Out while moving.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

So is this the start of the 12 PPV's a year rumor because isn't Full Gear still in November?

Kingston vs. Shibata should be really good as should FTR/Aussie Open. These $50 ppv price tags are gonna be harsh unless they end up on Max in the near future. 

I hoped for five or six PPVs at the most. No more than.

Yeah, I was willing to pay the $50/$60 for 4 a year (or maybe 6 if you count the cheaper ROH) but no way would I do that for 12+, no matter how big a fan of the angles I am. I've already passed on some in the past when I was a little worried about how much money I was spending on stuff.

• Like 2

Matches I'm most looking forward to:

5. Kris Statlander vs. Julia Hart.

4. Eddie Kingston vs. Katsuyori Shibata.

3. Christian Cage vs. Darby Allin.

2. FTR vs. Aussie Open.

1. Bryan Danielson vs. Zack Sabre Jr.

Danielson vs. ZSJ is a true dream match. Really hope Kingston and Shibata don't do shoot headbutts. It's fucking stupid.

• Like 1

Just now, JLowe said:

Yeah, I was willing to pay the $50/$60 for 4 a year (or maybe 6 if you count the cheaper ROH) but no way would I do that for 12+, no matter how big a fan of the angles I am. I've already passed on some in the past when I was a little worried about how much money I was spending on stuff.

Yeah, I passed on Double or Nothing. I chose All In over All Out only to find All In was free to air when I already ordered it. Still pissed off. Ordered All Out thanks to the WOM here. I wasn't disappointed.

• Like 1

I got tickets with a week to spare. I am a touch disappointed that on an Inoki Tribute Show the WWF Martial Arts Championship isn’t being defended in A Different Kind of Fight nor are two Soviet Greco Champions featured in a tag bout. 

• Like 5

17 hours ago, JLowe said:

Tell me about it, I missed All In AND All Out while moving.

17 hours ago, Octopus said:

Sadly I am moving on this day. I will likely not watch this until maybe the next day or the day after. Which is a shame, Danielson vs Sabre Jr alone is worth the ppv price (or theater ticket price 😈). 😞

Congrats on the new digs, gentlemen

37 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

I got tickets with a week to spare. I am a touch disappointed that on an Inoki Tribute Show the WWF Martial Arts Championship isn’t being defended in A Different Kind of Fight nor are two Soviet Greco Champions featured in a tag bout. 

They should have done one of those Matt Hardy matches on an island

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Yeah goddammit with all our discussion of this prior to the event you can tell Tony K isn't paying attention to us anymore. Boooooooo

I mean I know the dude is working 80 hours a week but he should get Rick Knox or Doctor I WANNA TALK TO Sampson to follow this board as extensively as me. As punishment for being bad at their jobs.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Wait hold up. Does "unification" mean the winner holds two separate straps or are they configuring this dealio into one title? 

FWIW, I was up real late Saturday night and 'somehow' found the NJPW PPV, and Kevin Kelly kept mentioning something about how if Dave Finlay were to beat Kingston for the titles, he would have his own 'Triple Crown' with the Never belt, which is something that was also touched on by Excalibur on Rampage re: Kingston and the Pure title. Could be (and likely is) a total coincidence, but it's certainly an exciting idea.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah goddammit with all our discussion of this prior to the event you can tell Tony K isn't paying attention to us anymore. Boooooooo

I mean I know the dude is working 80 hours a week but he should get Rick Knox or Doctor I WANNA TALK TO Sampson to follow this board as extensively as me. As punishment for being bad at their jobs.

Nice. That's a quality pull...

• Like 1

IMHO this show has a fun card, but it also speaks about AEW is struggling to find its identity right now. They don't know what they are doing with ROH and now they are using all their ROH titles and programs on their main shows. The ROH roster is basically the same as the AEW roster. So what is even the point and existence of ROH? Because now you have double the sets of titles. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Wait hold up. Does "unification" mean the winner holds two separate straps or are they configuring this dealio into one title? 

Needed a quick way of saying EK has both titles and both titles would be defended in the same match.  I'm not sure if they consider the titles to be unified or not, but with these circumstances and a paucity of words on my part... "Unified" just seemed right. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I've dropped $100 on ppv's the past month, so I could use a break.

Don't buy refreshments then if so, you might end up dropping a bill anyway

5 hours ago, just drew said:

Nice. That's a quality pull...

I'm telling you, every time it gets brought up, I have to go watch the video. 

• Like 1