DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV 9/11/23-9/17/23

Curt McGirt

"Okay... I'll do it... YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUGH" - Chris Reifert from Autopsy

Well, that was a banger of a main event. Yeah Nia Jax marred the end but she crushed Rhea with a Banzai Drop. One of us in the Discord made the comment that someone who is known for injuring people should not use that move and... well, yeah, but it still looks great. 

I noticed that they did the whole AEW "everybody knocks each other out in a row" tag thing in the six-man. Please don't do that anymore.

31 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Well, that was a banger of a main event. Yeah Nia Jax marred the end but she crushed Rhea with a Banzai Drop. One of us in the Discord made the comment that someone who is known for injuring people should not use that move and... well, yeah, but it still looks great. 

I think losing all that weight should reduce the chances of her hurting people and she seems more motivated now than before she left because you could just tell that last year or so she seemed so uninspired and just cashing a check.

I think dealing with your women's roster being particularly injured at the moment by signing Nia Jax is one of the most galaxy brained ideas I've heard of in a while. I guess when you have the chance to re-sign someone no one missed and who was actively poor for the last third of her run and injured people throughout you gotta take it.

• Like 1

Finn/Priest vs. Jey/KO was good.

Miz/Tozawa was a disappointing squash. I get the why with the rematch with Knight happening, but its still disappointing to see.

Drew/Woods was damn good stuff with a nice bit of intensity from both guys. Dug the finish happening in a flash as well.

Shayna/Chelsea was more of an angle than a match.

Alpha Academy/Ciampa vs. Imperium was another damn good match with everyone getting a chance to shine a little.

Nakamura had another good promo vid. The segment with Seth right after was pretty decent as well. Heel nakamura has been joy. Its going to be a shame when Seth beats him again.

Rhea/Raquel was damn good and a definite step up from their Payback match. Not big on Nia's coming back for various reasons, but I can't deny she was used well here and looked solid. I do question bringing Nia back against a heel like Rhea instead of using her to put over a face. I assume Nia is back for long though I'm kind of hoping this is just a short term program as I can only imagine diminishing returns unless Nia is highly motivated.

Raw will never not be chore at three hours long, but this had at least three matches well worth going out of one's way to catch and solid segment or two.

• Like 1

So I watched as much of RAW as I could while watching the Jets game.  I thought it was all right. I skipped a couple of matches early in the show. I was amused at them going to the main event at 10:30ish because I was like there is no way they are giving them a half hour. A commercial and switch back to the game and they hadn't even done the introductions yet.

Rhea vs. Raquel was a good match up until the WTF ending of Nia Jax coming out and interfering. I get they have to keep throwing obstacles at Raquel. That's WWE storytelling 101. The babyface has to overcome and overcome and overcome before they get their win. It's very infuriating at times. I don't think anyone wants to see a Nia Jax as a heel I'm assuming against Rhea. I don't know what they were thinking.

Was not expecting Drew McIntyre and Xavier Woods to have a high-end banger this week. But, yep, really good match between those two. I am not a fan of Drew at all. Never have been. Never will be. I think the dude is largely a snooze and I've never understood why people like him/his constant upper-level spot/etc. But, yeah, he's had some really good matches and I should just come around to him. 

When Xavier Woods first appeared in my life in NXT all of those years ago, I thought he may have been the single worst wrestler I had seen this century on a televised wrestling show. Everything about him was awful to me -- poor execution with a really cloying personality that felt completely inauthentic. But for the past I don't know how many years, I've become such a fanboy for him. He's become an all-time great babyface. While he definitely excels in tag matches, he's also had some really great singles matches.  This wasn't nearly on par with the Gable/Gunther classic from last week(*) or the KO/Gunther classic from earlier this year. But a really go showing and respectable choice for a Match of the Week in a normal week.

(*) Man, we might all need to revisit that match. I loved loved loved it last week. But a lot of wrestlers are bugging out about it. I know to take the Busted Open Radio guys with a grain of salt but Mark Henry raved about that match to this insane degree and I don't want to pay him any more of an air bill. That really feels like it could be one of the best Raw matches ever once it settles in a bit more? 

• Like 2

The finish of the six man prompted me to look back to see if Ciampa and Walter had a match before and I remembered that they fought on Mania weekend two years ago for the NXT UK title. Even though I don't remember the match, I mentioned it was brutal and hard hitting in the thread and it was universally agreed by about everyone else that it was a great outing. I'm now thinking that it's Ciampa who takes the IC belt of Walter and I'd really like to see them have a lengthy PPV match.

• Sad 1

Nothing can turn me off a show faster than Nia Jax, maybe one of the worst wrestlers to ever grace a major promotion and a self-centred moron of the highest degree. It’s the ‘E so expectations are only so high but that’s still so disappointing to see

• Like 3

Gotta take note of Nia dressing in Judgement Day colors and then squashing (literally) Rhea. That good old WWE "fuck you, fans!" twist! (I mean really, Nia as muscle for Rhea? At least she'd have a role that gives her something to do and also keeps her out of the way.)

I looked it up and apparently the invisible chap cosplaying Juan Cena from the last Raw had a match in GCW with Rick Knox as ref.

• Like 1

Meltzer:

Vince McMahon is back. He made multiple changes to the show tonight. There were also multiple changes made by [Paul] Levesque at the last minute. So the show was -- a lot of stuff wasn't advertised on the show, like most of it. And the reason is because they were changing all day long. But Vince is back, Vince made significant changes to the show. I don't know what the changes were. I'm sure that they will probably come out tomorrow. One person who just mentioned it to me, and then I asked some others and they said -- all I heard was that they were probably changes for the better. But there were many of them.

But Vince is back from his surgery leave. He's back in the chair. He was not in Roanoke, He was involved in the production of the show via remote. Going forward, he's the guy. He's the chairman. And he's running the wrestling company. I know that there's the whole thing of he's second in command to Ari Emanuel, or tied for second in command -- I think Mark Shapiro's at the same level, but when it comes to wrestling, Ari Emanuel is very willing to say, ‘I don't know wrestling. He knows wrestling.' So it's Vince's baby when it comes to the creative end. It's Vince's baby when it comes to decision-making on the company and all that. Ari Emanuel, Nick Khan, and Mark Shapiro are going to be the guys who are handling the TV negotiations. That they will do. Even then, Vince will have power to a degree over that. But that's a pretty heavy crew of people when you have Ari and Nick Khan together on these new round of negotiations.

Ilja/Wes Lee was brutal. Wes Lee tried to kick his nose through his brain. Ilja went aaaaaaall the way back like a breakdancer busting a move and swung up with a huge lariat. He chopped Wes right in the GUT. These matches with Comrade Lenin errrr Dragunov are harrowing. Good good good stuff. 

Axiom vs. Bate seemed decent but also like a series of big moves, the end was definitely bomb after bomb. Crowd chanting "Power Ranger" was some ECW mutant crap. Axiom vs. Gravity in the battle to see who faces Tinieblas Jr. for the title of International WRESTLER WITH NO FACE would be pretty neat. Is Tinieblas Jr. any good? 

Big Time Becks is your new champion. Okay, guess it'll bring some good matches. I was only half-watching this one. 

Booker is so fuckin' out there. Nothing to where I had to actively turn off the sound, but there was a lot of music listening going on anyway. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Big Time Becks is your new champion. Okay, guess it'll bring some good matches. I was only half-watching this one. 

Figured as much. Since Vince's return-ish, NXT has lost its Women's Tag Champs (the champs were brought up, the #1 contenders, and the belt was just dropped), the women's champion (Indy), the North American title, and now the Women's Title. At this point, Shawn Michaels should make himself the NXT Champ, it's really the only way he can guarantee the belt won't end up on Solo Sikoa.

Wes/Ilja was fucking great. Just intense and brutal from beginning to end with Wes showing tons of heart.

The Corbin/Bron segment was solid. I kind of like that they are going in with both just being mean assholes and fighting out out to see who is the biggest bastard between them.

Gulak/Dempsey/Kemp vs. Briggs/Jensen/Borne was short but quick paced with plenty action. Thought this was pretty fun. It didn't give a good look at what Borne is capable of but it did serve as a good character moment for him and seemingly set up a feud between Gulak's crew and the Briggs/Jensen/Tatum trio.

Lyra/Dana was short and fine. Dana having to be held back post match by Kelani was amusing.

Bate/Axiom was good with the two showing plenty of the chemistry and meshing well.

Creeds vs. Malik/Enofe was similar to the earlier 6-man style/pace wise and was pretty fun overall. I always like when Blade and Enofe are more aggressive.

Frazer/Tozawa was solid. This tournament has sadly been a waste of Tozawa.

Tiffany/Becky was great, easily Stratton's best performance. and I was surprised at just how well the two meshed with plenty of neat moments, action and character wise.

This was a good episode if only for the first and last matches alone. both were great and very different. everything in between still ranged from decent to good and pushed things forward on the way to No Mercy.

I am curious what endgame for Wes Lee is with them teasing his departure. Will also say I don't love Becky winning the NXT Women's belt. Stratton has been a good champ, growing steadily in the ring and as a character. I also feel like we needed a longer more stable reign after the belt's history this year. Becky should not be the person leading that. The reaction to her here was fantastic, but while she arguably raises the level of the belt Becky herself also feels way too above it. There is no one in NXT who realistically should be beating her, and anyone who can should already be on the main roster. Guessing this was done more to put extra value for a USA renewal more than anything else. I wish they at least saved this match for No Mercy. Stratton deserved to lose it on a bigger stage.

I am looking forward to Dom/Melo and Tyler/Dunne next week.