DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 8/23 - 8/29/2023

Dolfan in NYC

- Mox/Fenix was really damn good past a couple weak stomps from the former and weak kicks from the latter, which you could blame on exhaustion. They decided to scratch all their rules on neck/head injury faking to stretcher Fenix and we even got the Owen voice from Ex, haha. I'm wishing we get Homicide on the face side and Hero on the heel side but it'll probably be Komander on the face side and... hmmm... Homicide on the heel side? *shrug* Wonder if Eddie gets a slap on the wrist for telling poor Renee "get the fuck out of my face" 😄 Does anyone know what the beef between Santana and Ortiz is over?

- MJF was legit groaner-funny which kept me from muting him for a minute. Cole had no such luck. 

- The six-man was a brawl cluster and Skinny Bois/Balaclavas was a high-spot cluster, only with a pinfall. They did not explain what's gonna happen in the coffin match at all except that Fox isn't on the heel side anymore, then Christian got to hone his "insulting the dead" chops some more. It's actually pretty funny that he's gotten a chance to do this TWICE now.

- Billy's back which Helen Keller could have called.

- Ospreay said "It's the biggest venue on the entire of the UK" and "The Wrestling's Biggest Event", BRUV

- Toni wore SLIPPERS~!

- Aussie Open's Misawa gear ruled. Hardyz lost and didn't die. 

- Did I miss the retirement of the FTW belt entirely?!

EDIT: One more thing... "Skye got a big 'ol butt, I told you I'd be true/but Skye got a big 'ol butt, so I'm leavin' you" - LL Cool J

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 5

The Cole/MJF stuff was threaded through the show brilliantly.

The Jericho-Ospreay thing was shockingly good.

But what happened with AR Fox was straight TRASH. Fox/Swerve was really working. If he can’t make Wembley, fine, but don’t just throw away the whole act and then have the faces just forget the whole thing in 3 minutes. Terrible.

Christian is a poet though.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

- Mox/Fenix was really damn good past a couple weak stomps from the former and weak kicks from the latter, which you could blame on exhaustion. They decided to scratch all their rules on neck/head injury faking to stretcher Fenix and we even got the Owen voice from Ex, haha. I'm wishing we get Homicide on the face side and Hero on the heel side but it'll probably be Komander on the face side and... hmmm... Homicide on the heel side? *shrug* Wonder if Eddie gets a slap on the wrist for telling poor Renee "get the fuck out of my face" 😄 Does anyone know what the beef between Santana and Ortiz is over?

They’ve changed it to 5v5 so the Stadium Stampede match is Santana, Ortiz, Mox, YUTA and Claudio vs Kingston, Pentagon, OC, Trent & Chuck

8 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Is it 5x5 now or is Shota still possible? We might have to get an outside ruling.

The graphic showed 5v5, and Excalibur even said it. No third mystery man for Team BCC now either.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Casey said:

The graphic showed 5v5, and Excalibur even said it. No third mystery man for Team BCC now either.

Maybe we meet in the middle as you were more right and I was more wrong so as to avoid me tagging Jae for adjudication. If we draw each other, I’ll give you one match I’ll think you’ll go for and you get to go scorched earth on me but with just one match. 

Burning through storylines is nothing new in AEW but I think Fox's heel turn was the fastest they've ever speedrun an angle. Darby/Sting vs Fox/Swerve was going to be a perfectly fine match and both Swerve and Fox were really getting over as heels with no small thanks to Nana. I'm hoping some of the rumored issues with travel and whatnot are the cause of this because it makes no sense otherwise. Is it Sting/Darby/Wayne Fox vs Swerve/Cage/Luchasaurus/Christian or what?

Santana and Ortiz were my picks as BCC's other crew. Fenix being taken out simplifies things a bit. I figured they're replace him with some random lucha guy, but this is better as 6v6 is too damn many people in a match.

I can't remember the last time I heard Osperay cut a lengthy promo. Has he always sounded like such a chav? Nowadays Jericho is either the shits or surprisingly good depending on how well he plays to his strengths so this match could go either way based on how long they decide to go.

• Like 2

Great, was planning on wearing my House of Black shirt to my All In watch party now they're probably losing. Figured that match would have been for All Out though. Love Malakai's spiel on the afterlife too. Hate to compare it to Bray Wyatt promos but Malakai showing you can do the spooky stuff while still actually telling a narrative. 

Darby yelling "WHO DO YOU HAVE" while Swerve was standing right next to (Brian) Cage was pretty funny. Is the coffin match an 8 man now? That was a pretty quick turn around for AR Fox but nice bit of character for Darby taking the high road there. I hope they let this all play out to see if Nick will be as forgiving, maybe create a wedge between Nick and Darby over this?

Toni Storma Desmond is the best thing to ever happen to the AEW Women's division.

Really good promo from Ospreay but really needs to stop forcing the ", bruv." I get it's there to make him sound obnoxious but there's a line between "he talks weird" and "dude's trying to get that on a shirt." Really liked that 2.0 had a point about Sammy's loyalty too.

Skye Blue and Ruby was fun.

1. Nick Wayne having a move called Wayne's World is really fucking stupid

2. Nick Wayne having tights that look like he stole them from HBK in '94 (animal print and even a broken heart symbol) is also really fucking stupid

EDIT: Nick Wayne was born in 2005 😆

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

1. Nick Wayne having a move called Wayne's World is really fucking stupid

2. Nick Wayne having tights that look like he stole them from HBK in '94 (animal print and even a broken heart symbol) is also really fucking stupid

EDIT: Nick Wayne was born in 2005 😆

Buddy Wayne probably stole the tights from HBK in '94 and bequeathed them to Nick.

• Haha 2

I'm guessing that holding a show in an Atlanta suburb before going to England is helpful scheduling for getting everybody on their flight to London. Does Atlanta's massive airport have a wrestling event space?

Anyways, Tony might know a thing or two about getting to the UK on time.

Nick Wayne's blue/gold color scheme on those tights feels more like the design of a mid-90s babyface who might have a solid heel run in their future. Specifically that design was more "1997 babyface Jericho" than "1994 HBK".

• Like 1

I loved all the chaos to open the show, always dig a different kind of way to kick things off.  Moxley/Fenix ruled. Welcome back Santana & Ortiz! 

Enjoyed the Jericho/Ospreay back and forth. The AR Fox angle was so sudden, sad they just kill it off presumably because he can't make All In, but Darby did his best. Love the addition of Christian and makes sense for the All Out match too.

THE BAD ASS Billy Gunn is BACK! Sounded like he's back for one more fight but I hope they win the titles and he resumes active duty. 

I'm hyped for all things Cole/MJF. Looking forward to the match, fingers crossed neither one turns. 

• Like 1

upon checking Wikipedia before making a Christian/My Two Dads joke, I find that Staci Keanan is now a law school professor under her birth name. She's married to an actor with no Wikipedia page whose IMDB page says he's known for Alistair1918, Grime Town and Night Music. None of which i've heard of.

So anyways, would Christian's power be diminished facing an opponent with *two* living dads?