DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 5/8 - 5/14/2023

RIPPA

WWE announced the 12 people in the Tournament for the new title (no brackets)

Let's see if I can remember them without having to watch the video

1. Seth Rollins
  2. Austin Theory
  3. AJ Styles
  4. Shinsuke Nakamura
  5. Bobby Lashley
  6. The Miz
  7. Sheamus
  8. Edge
  9. Rey Mysterio 
  10. Damien Priest
  11. Finn Balor
  12. Cody Rhodes

WON says it’s two triple threats per show and then the winners face each other later on the show

Finals are on Saudi show and will be RAW vs SDL

• Like 1

I don't know that anything could make this title feel special, but instead of a tournament - like they usually do - they should have tried something different like having it be one match with all 12 people. Let them eliminate each other through pin/submission. Winning the title in a long match where they get multiple pinfalls/eliminations might be enough to add some credibility to get champion and the title off to a good start. 

The thousand days plus days is counting the Universal title of the Undisputed Title bundle with the WWE title extra days.

But for the Universal Title alone.. during the upcoming PLE NOC marks 1000 days for Roman holding the Universal title.

https://www.wwe.com/titlehistory/universal-championship

https://www.wwe.com/titlehistory/wwe-championship

2 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Are title histories really that important in a fake sport?

Not to me, because it’s just an arbitrary mark whoever is booking gives the talent. Look at when they got all mad at Punk. That’s at least part of why Romans reign has been endless so he’s the longest in the modern era. Same with New Day breaking Demolitions record, and Nikki Bella breaking AJ Lee’s record before. 

To me I get more interested in what talents do (and don’t) get a run at all with the belt.

19 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

If Roman's on Smackdown with his titles, doesn't that guarantee that the finalist from Raw will win this title? (Haven't been watching much, so maybe this is a dumb question)

You’d think, so I’m expecting a Smackdown wrestler to win and be moved over to Raw.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, EVA said:

Who knew HHH was a CZW fan.

I was pretty surprised to look back and see that Seth never participated in a Best of the Best tourney in his Tyler Black days. I was for sure he had.

As it stands, only AJ Styles has experience with this tournament format. Huge advantage, you have to think.

• Like 1

Seth Rollins vs. Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Damian Priest and Cody Rhodes vs. Finn Balor vs. The Miz are tonight's triple threat matches.

Tonight was a pretty boring show. I mean the matches were fine. Its just everything was predictable. I was pulling for Shinske Nakamura to win. Rollins is the safe predictable choice.

Did get a good laugh from Otis tonight when he couldn't decide between who to listen to. Chad or the pretty lady.... Oooh yeah. 

Nice to see Becky back. 

But yeah with Rollins winning I can't figure who smackdown would have win on their side.

• Like 1

I can see why they changed plans and got Brock on Raw tonight:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Phantom Lord said:

But yeah with Rollins winning I can't figure who smackdown would have win on their side.

Seth Rollins vs Edge would be a multi-time rematch

Seth worked Lashley a bunch last year

We haven't seen Seth vs Sheamus in a non-Rumble or Elimination match since 2018, which is the stone age by WWE standards

So I can't figure out the politest way to say this, but Becky came back so skinny that I'm actually mildly concerned that something might be up (or was up with her absence). Hopefully I'm just worrying over nothing.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LF2 said:

it’s just an arbitrary mark whoever is booking gives the talent...I get more interested in what talents do (and don’t) get a run at all with the belt.

Aren't they one and the same? And you're not interested in title histories, but who held the belts does interest you? I'm (easily) confused.

• Like 1

Both triple threats were perfectly solid from what I caught. Pissed off Brock murdering Cody during the second match and after was fun. Its kind of funny seeing Brock pissed off about a flash pin victor seeing how he beat Lahley that same way. 

Otis/Ali was short and kifn od forgettable as a result aside from Gable and Maxine's bickering playing into the finish.

Rhea/Dana was an ok squash.

Sami/KO vs. Imperium was good. Curious if it leads to Gunther vs. Sami or KO. Either would have th epotnetial to be great. 

Stark/Nikki was an ok showcase for Stark.

The Trish leading to Becky's return was a decent little segment. Curious to see how they explain Becky's absence later on.

Kind of enjoyed the Sonya and Chelsea getting signatures to demand another title match. Was nice to see Way reformed officially as well. 

Dom/Woods was solid. Really enjoyed Rhea on the outside giving her support. Finish was pretty decent as well. The earlier segment with Tozawa slowly backing off when Rhea got involved was fun as well. 

Finn/Seth was good. Dug Finn having so much fo the control and even getting some vengeance for their Universal Title match from years back. Seth is at his best when getting his ass beat and having to sell instead of running through all of his offense. 

Thought this was a solid episode and reset though not necessarily the most interesting. Can't blame them for giving Seth the god ahead for the Raw finalist and likely eventual winner, but he is pretty boring as the choice despite enjoying his actually matches right now. Finn or Nakamura would have been a lot more interesting. 

as long as Theory holds a title, Seth can't be the most boring secondary singles champion.

But until the Smackdown/Roman title becomes less interesting, the Raw title is essentially a B title. Which is what it was before the unification last year.