DVDVR Message Board

April 2023 Wrestling Discussion

6 hours ago, Octopus said:

Sooo…

WrestleMania X ended with Bret Hart having faced (and lost to) Owen Hart and then beating Yokozuna.

WrestleMania XX ended with Chris Benoit (celebrating with Eddie Guerrero) after beating HHH & HBK.

WrestleMania XXX ended with Daniel Bryan (after beating and then being attacked by HHH) defeated Batista & Randy Orton.

Which top notch technical workhorse will win the main event at WrestleMania XL and which two superstars will he face?

Sami and Owens have to fight eachother in the opening match,  with the stipulation that the winner gets a shot against Roman in the main event but the loser can't challenge for the title ever again. Sami goes over, then Owens counters interference in the main event so he can win the belt.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Effy called Gabe out three years ago, for his habit of underpaying (or not paying) wrestlers. 

Lots of people worked Evolve shows and got paid in T-Shirt. Singular, not plural.

That and his shows that were budgeted so that Gabe made more money from wrestlers (paying to attend the pre-show seminar) than fans (buying tickets), and that the seminars were scams anyway. The vet he brought in showed them the International Spot, made them all drill it, and then selected one attendee to work on the show for no pay. And the selection was a work because the guy they picked was always already booked.

57 minutes ago, AxB said:

Effy called Gabe out three years ago, for his habit of underpaying (or not paying) wrestlers. 

Lots of people worked Evolve shows and got paid in T-Shirt. Singular, not plural.

That and his shows that were budgeted so that Gabe made more money from wrestlers (paying to attend the pre-show seminar) than fans (buying tickets), and that the seminars were scams anyway. The vet he brought in showed them the International Spot, made them all drill it, and then selected one attendee to work on the show for no pay. And the selection was a work because the guy they picked was always already booked.

Can partially confirm (and debunk this). I did one DGUSA seminar. I got picked to work the show. I was not previously booked before the seminar. I had never met Gabe or anyone involved. But Gabe had zero input in who got put on the show. It was 100% Pac's call. Three of us from the seminar got booked. No clue if the other two were previously booked. But I wasn't.

Can confirm there was zero pay. I don't have any axe to grind about it tho. I was able to use that DGUSA booking to get some good paying gigs off the back of it. And Gabe was very complimentary to me and kept up through email a few times afterward. But I never went back because pay wasn't available. (Or maybe he just didn't want to use me and budget stuff was a deflection)?

So think this is a case of the truth lying somewhere in the middle.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Not sure what's worse - Gabe misrepresenting himself as still working for WWE to try and sell these seminars, or Gabe doing this as a side-hustle while under WWE contract

If Hebner got fired for selling t-shirts out of his trunk, Gabe should absolutely get canned for this if he's still with WWE

2 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Can partially confirm (and debunk this). I did one DGUSA seminar. I got picked to work the show. I was not previously booked before the seminar. I had never met Gabe or anyone involved. But Gabe had zero input in who got put on the show. It was 100% Pac's call. Three of us from the seminar got booked. No clue if the other two were previously booked. But I wasn't.

I think the OP was referring to EVOLVE/DGUSA after Dragon Gate yanked funding because the shows were so bad. DGUSA just became "WWN" at that point

• Like 1

Ah yes, reading is fundamental. I missed that he was referring to Evolve and just assumed he was talking about DGUSA because that's what Effy mentioned in the clip. Still good background for the discussion, but a little off the mark since Dragon Gate was still involved at the point I was mentioning.

Just now, Zimbra said:

Ted Dibiase Jr is finally catching felony charges for his role in the whole Mississippi welfare scam.

Cool, cool, but what about that other scumbag cheating heel wrapped up in this?

I'm talking about Brett Favre, of course. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On the phone with our Dallas rep yesterday. I asked him how things were going in the Metroplex, and he wanted to know how I knew so much about DFW. I told him I used to watch World Class ("you know, the Von Erichs") back in the day and he just howled with laughter. Good stuff.

• Like 5