DVDVR Message Board

2023 - IN MEMORIAM - MOVIES & TV

RIPPA

RIP Michael Gambon. 

And the folks citing Harry Potter as a career reference apparently have never seen a single episode of Maigret and let's not forget his appearances on Top Gear.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Just now, Log said:

I really dig some of the voice work he did.

Love him as the voice of Bean in Mr. Fox.

Also a great small performance as Oseary Drakoulias in Life Aquatic.

Wish he could have done more Wes Anderson stuff, he really fit right in with his style.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2023 at 4:49 PM, Curt McGirt said:

https://deadline.com/2023/10/anthony-hickox-dead-horror-director-of-waxwork-hellraiser-iii-was-64-1235568541/

Damn, Anthony Hickox has passed away. I'll forever stand by Warlock: The Armageddon as being awesome. 

I will stand beside Hellraiser III.  I know Clive hates it because Pinhead turned into a slasher movie villain, but Hellraiser III has the best dialogue out of any movie in the franchise.  It is sooooo quoteable.

RIP

Edited by J.T.

Dr. Channard had already started the puns, it was too late. I remember liking it as a kid but haven't gotten past bits of the beginning in the years since. Need to rewatch. 

Jeff Burr wimped out on Leatherface, going with the studio on their pussyfooting around David Schow's gruesome script, IIRC, but he was a journeyman who worked in the genre all his life even though he apparently wasn't a horror guy, I think? It's admirable. Both guys died way too young. The '80s were a rough decade on everyone.

23 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Shit! Jeff Burr just passed away too! Bad week for horror directors...

RIP

woah, what a weird coincidence, I just watched his Leatherface for the first time on a whim on Tuesday, which is apparently the day he died.

11 hours ago, Execproducer said:

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/piper-laurie-dead-carrie-1235756354/

RIP Piper Laurie. I'm amazed no one has ever chosen Carrie for Halloween Havoc.

I think we all assumed that anyone involved in HH had already seen it.  She was also in the Dario Argento campy giallo classic, Trauma, in addition to Carrie (for which she was nominated for the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress).  I was elated when she won the Golden Globe for her role in Twin Peaks.

RIP.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3