DVDVR Message Board

2023 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

Casey

I was fiddling around with the Xbox app on my phone, looking at my achievements. And the list kept going and going. 

It goes all the way back to NHL 12 on Xbox 360. 

So, all 3 Mass Effect games are on there, RDR1 is on there, many Assassins Creed games, etc. 

Yeah - as long as you used the same account your history is linked

That is why you can get auto-popping achievements if you played the same game across multiple consoles

Speaking of Microsoft/XBOX

The Xbox 360 store will be closing on July 29, 2024

After that date - you will no longer be able to purchase games or DLC on the 360 (or via the 360 Marketplace)

However - anything purchased prior to that will still be available for download and playable on the 360

All backwards compatible 360 games will still be available for purchase on the newer consoles and websites after that date

On 8/18/2023 at 5:16 PM, Casey said:

First impressions for Starfield are trickling out. Incredibly vague things, though. But the general consensus is “holy fuck this is really good, and very pretty”.

Only 2 weeks now which somehow, like Elden Ring, won't feel real until it actually happens.

Every year there seems to be this silly discourse that big AAA games just aren't it anymore just because EA and Ubisoft smell their own farts but goddamn, what a time to be alive.

Also, Baldur's Gate 3 has made like eleventy billion dollars. So there's that. Something like 800 000 current players on Steam, which is remarkable for a single player title.

16 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Every year there seems to be this silly discourse that big AAA games just aren't it anymore just because EA and Ubisoft smell their own farts but goddamn, what a time to be alive..

and that's becoming less true because EA has started putting out the occasionally interesting single player game. 

Some jackass just rushed the stage at Gamescom's opening

While I'm not normally a fan of extra judicial violence, but I sometimes think they should do to stage rushers what they used to do to fans who hopped the fence in territory wrestling.. take them backstage, and administer an unholy beatdown.

Edited by SirFozzie
  • Like 1

I finally started playing 2018 God of War

I put it off for a while because of my cat, and thought I might get a little lost in my thoughts hearing, "Boy" over and over, since that's what I called him more than his name when he was still here.

No worries there, since Atreus is a mouthy, stupid, annoying piece of shit who is listening-impaired, and I really just want to pull out the axe and decapitate him at roughly the wiener to induce the world's grimmest Game-Over screen.  I mean, saves you the trouble of worrying who's ready and all that if you'd just knock his head off, there, Kratey-kins.

I also get the impression that the whole "getting sick" thing is some sort of oddball crap where, in point of fact, he's World War Hulk-kinds of strong, and when he flips his shit, that's when he becomes the most dangerous. 

There's a part of me that hopes the game opens up a bit, since I only just got the second quest and the first Rune, but there's a part that's expecting to be just as fucking bored of this as I was playing Uncharted 4, and that eventually diving into Horizon: Forbidden West is going to disappoint the everloving shit out of me, too.  It's a good thing, I suppose, that I haven't paid full-price for a single game on the system and don't intend to change that.  Maybe I should have just finished Ghost of Tsushima.

1 hour ago, Contentious C said:

If that's your opinion of cats, the problem likely isn't the cats you meet.

Listen,  even the absolute best cats I've met are annoying little shits that don't listen. They're can be loveable little shits,  but they're shits nonetheless. 

So, if you're too broke for Starfield or anything else dropping in the next week, Sea of Stars is fan-fucking-tastic.  I'm only 3 hours in, but its hooked me quickly and in a way a JRPG hasn't done in years.

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Raziel said:

So, if you're too broke for Starfield or anything else dropping in the next week, Sea of Stars is fan-fucking-tastic.  I'm only 3 hours in, but its hooked me quickly and in a way a JRPG hasn't done in years.

I've got the demo downloaded, it looks amazing.

If both of them are on Game Pass, they're nominally the same price, right? Not sure how much Sea of Stars is to actually buy.

I played for about 5 minutes and didn't even save, since I'd only beaten  2 monsters and set up a camp fire. 😉

So I beat the story of Path of Exile for the first time (since they expanded it to 10 acts). I'm guessing the MMO part of the game kicks in now, the endless map grind? LOLno

I found enough neat Unique items to want to try out a couple of more complicated builds, a staff wielder and maybe a Int/Dex hybrid dagger something. I beat the game with a straight Shield Rush/Heavy Blow Juggernaut Maurader build.

I've got the Sea of Stars demo downloaded and I want to try that out.

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

If both of them are on Game Pass, they're nominally the same price, right? Not sure how much Sea of Stars is to actually buy.

I played for about 5 minutes and didn't even save, since I'd only beaten  2 monsters and set up a camp fire. 😉

I would assume that Sea of Stars runs on many more PCs than Starfield does (which is true for me, for example).

My work holiday is coming to an end. I planned to use it for some hiking but the weather was not accordingly (first it was too hot and then we had heavy rain for a couple of days), so I used to time to play through the two Ori games (as someone was mentioning the term "Metroidvania" here recently). The games were a bit different than I expected, more focus on platforming and puzzles and less on combat (the first game does not have a single boss, for example). There are a couple of places that felt a bet "cheap" to me, for the first game that was the escape sequences that require pretty high precision, for the second game there are a bunch of platforming sections that are a bit ridiculous and there was one boss fight that took me 30 tries or whatever. On the other end, the games are generous with save points, so I guess that equals itself out. In total it felt like time well spent.

I also wanted to write that those were the best Austrian games I have ever played, but actually I am not sure if I have played and other games by Austrian developers at all. I am pretty sure I have never played any JoWooD games, Koch Media & THQ Nordic were publishers and I can't think of any other studios. Hmm... looking at Wikipedia, apparently Anno 1602 (and 1503) was developed in Austria, I did not know that. Funny thing I noticed: the German Wikipedia lists about 10 Austrian video game companies and I just noticed the CEO (and founder) of one of those companies is a guy I studied with.