Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 3/16/2022 - St. Patrick's Day Slam


Gordlow
 Share

Recommended Posts

Ohmyfuckinggodisthatfuckingprivatefuckingparty? I enjoyed that match and I hope they have long-term plans for those two now that they're on their own (I don't see Andrade sticking around with BBB & PP long-term).

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Ohmyfuckinggodisthatfuckingprivatefuckingparty? I enjoyed that match and I hope they have long-term plans for those two now that they're on their own (I don't see Andrade sticking around with BBB & PP long-term).

I agree. The next batch of tag title feuds definitely needs to include some combination of Private Party, Acclaimed, and PnP. The FTR/Bucks/ReDRagon stuff doesn't need the belts.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

I think both The Acclaimed and Private Party need to start winning on TV before anything else. That's step one. 

Yeah, that's one of the drawbacks to the whole W/L thing, is how long it can take to cook up challengers. Obviously, there's the flip side of the coin where you have instant reasons to exist for TV matches, like Martin/Hangman the other week. Overall I'm neutral on it, but without that constraint, I think you could have either team ready to go for them in pretty short order.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Main event had an odd finish (Rosa gets dinged with a chair, rolls back in the ring then just hits her finish?) and took a while to get going but was pretty enjoyable and a well deserved moment.

part of the JAS promo felt like they might be setting up Jericho's Sports Entertainers vs Regal's Pro Wrestlers at some point

 

im not on the 'AEW is racist' noise but it is pretty jarring how they seem to have stuck all the black guys together in the same go-nowhere mid-card program. Keith Lee already feels like just another guy

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, killsteve said:

im not on the 'AEW is racist' noise but it is pretty jarring how they seem to have stuck all the black guys together in the same go-nowhere mid-card program. Keith Lee already feels like just another guy

I mean, you have to ignore an awful lot of the roster to say Starks/Hobbes/Lee is "all the black guys" when it wasn't even half the guys on this week's episode.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, kafkonia said:

I mean, you have to ignore an awful lot of the roster to say Starks/Hobbes/Lee is "all the black guys" when it wasn't even half the guys on this week's episode.

Yeah, with Scorpio defending the secondary men’s title and a Latina in the main winning the top women’s belt, this wasn’t the episode to take AEW to task over its use of POC.

Fuck, I guess I need to add a “ AEW people of color audit” to my weekly Dynamite comments!

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didn't read the whole 9 pages so I apologize if it's been mentioned but the lack of selling in the main event totally ruined it for me.  Sure they had some  good spots but the selling (especially Baker's) was not good.  Before anyone says otherwise please go back and re-watch the match and I am sure you will agree.

 

The Hardy's got a great match out of Private Party. I was pleasantly surprised. 

 

Scorpio Sky-Wardlow was pretty much how I expected. I don't see them hotshotting a title this quick and the Wardlow-MJF feud will not need a title.

The opening 6 man tag was fun and had just the right amount of time. 

 

Another fine AEW show!  Congrats to Thunder Rosa.  She has come a long long way from teaming with Holidead. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I actually thought transitioning Hardy into more of a manager, part-time worker was a good role for him all things considered for him. 

I think Tony Khan and Dave Meltzer highly over-estimated the value of having a Hardys reunion run in AEW. Plus, The Hardy Boyz already had their two kind of feel good reunion runs in the last two decades already.

Problem is .. Matt was always a mid-carder in his absolute prime. I don't at all understand the motivation in focusing time/effort on almost-50 year old talents who were only ever mid-card at best. I mean, this isn't Sting we're talking about. There's like, literally no upside to the guy beyond a Hardy Boyz nostalgia reunion. Acclaimed have been spinning wheels doing basically nothing of any narrative substance while this guy has been through numerous fully-fleshed programs and personas (none of which have worked).

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also want to add something that has been extremely irritating.  Aubrey Edwards always has to get herself over.  Every time the wrestlers are near her she is doing her dancing around or her huff and puff.  A great referee (I bet we have some on this board right now)  will go unseen.   A ref is there to supervise the match not to draw the attention from the wrestlers. Unless the plan is for her to become a wrestler in which case it would 100% make sense. It's gotten progressively worse as of late.  Slamming that hand on the tacks with no hesitation also brought down this match for me. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, A_K said:

Problem is .. Matt was always a mid-carder in his absolute prime. I don't at all understand the motivation in focusing time/effort on almost-50 year old talents who were only ever mid-card at best. I mean, this isn't Sting we're talking about. There's like, literally no upside to the guy beyond a Hardy Boyz nostalgia reunion. Acclaimed have been spinning wheels doing basically nothing of any narrative substance while this guy has been through numerous fully-fleshed programs and personas (none of which have worked).

I definitely understand the age argument, but on the flip side (and this is actually something I'll give Eric Bischoff credit on for making me think about) network people and licensees are into having established guys around. Both Hardys, Christian, Paul Wight, Mark Henry, Sting, Taz and to a certain degree Dustin, Jake, Arn, Tully etc. are all big names from wrestling's hottest periods; it seems like a no brainer to me from that standpoint. I mean, the TV deal only exists because they had Jericho and J.R. on board.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jericho going all the way the "sports entertainer" heel gimmick shows he's still one of the best minds in business. It's going to be objectively hilarious, but crowds are going to boo the shit out of it. It has zero chance of getting "ironically over" because any visible approval would be praise for WWE (i.e. completely unforgivable from a live AEW crowd). The "real names" bit with only Daniel Garcia using his real name is brilliant. I wish they had gone a little more heavy-handed on 2.0's "real" names with more exaggerated NXT sounding things since they're the comedy guys anyway, but I see the logic of them fitting the pattern of Jericho and Hager using part of their real names. Hopefully Garcia "re-invents himself" over the next few weeks with his commitment to sports entertainment because he's the only one that doesn't fit the group aesthetic. And while obviously the Kingston/P&P feud is going to happen, I agree with whoever said the real money is with Regal's group of real wrestlers.

Also, I'm glad they changed Parker's name to Angelo, because at the risk of defending WWE's draconian "no two names" policy, having two featured tag teams named Matt and Jeff is a bit too much.

I also am totally down for Wheeler being Moxley and Danielson's young boy. They could definitely capture some 90s AJ magic with him finally getting a win over a higher-ranked guy in a 6-man. If they ever do the wrestlers vs. sports entertainers feud, they can round out the group with Thatcher and/or Claudio. They could also convert and re-educate Garcia as the impetus for the feud.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I definitely understand the age argument, but on the flip side (and this is actually something I'll give Eric Bischoff credit on for making me think about) network people and licensees are into having established guys around. Both Hardys, Christian, Paul Wight, Mark Henry, Sting, Taz and to a certain degree Dustin, Jake, Arn, Tully etc. are all big names from wrestling's hottest periods; it seems like a no brainer to me from that standpoint. I mean, the TV deal only exists because they had Jericho and J.R. on board.

Yeah I get that - but Jericho (or at least, 2019 Jericho) + JR are a world removed from Matt Hardy. I can't imagine anyone, ever, has sat down and thought "Matt Hardy is the marquee name we need to build around" .. and he has had a lot of TV time dedicated to him at AEW with v/ little to show for it. Maxing out at WWF/E with 1 US title run in like 18 years is a pretty damning indictment (esp given how weak roster was for a number of those years). Some value in the tag stuff but as a singles guy .. yeah .. weird one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, A_K said:

Yeah I get that - but Jericho (or at least, 2019 Jericho) + JR are a world removed from Matt Hardy. I can't imagine anyone, ever, has sat down and thought "Matt Hardy is the marquee name we need to build around" .. and he has had a lot of TV time dedicated to him at AEW with v/ little to show for it. Maxing out at WWF/E with 1 US title run in like 18 years is a pretty damning indictment (esp given how weak roster was for a number of those years). Some value in the tag stuff but as a singles guy .. yeah .. weird one.

Ah, ok, this makes more sense now - I didn't realize you were mostly referring to his singles stuff to this point. Because I do agree with you on your last point for sure, the value is in having both Hardys. Matt's done some things I've enjoyed over the last three years (which obviously, we don't agree on) but he's rarely gotten reactions like they did as a team last night. I will say for the record that I also do enjoy him as a manager quite a bit, not sure your feeling on that, but I'd definitely be into it if he did it full time once he hangs it up.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, chriskbrown50 said:

The Hardy's were hard to watch but they have name value. Can elevate some young teams along the way...

Exactly, you get it. Although, tbh, I didn't think they looked all that bad, it was the usual Hardys match just a half step slower, crowd still went wild for the hits.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Fixed that for ya. Put anyone's name in there. Still true. Because no one drew for TNA. Because TNA was TNA. So it's not fair to indite someone over not getting them over the hump. They had a Hulk Hogan debut, nWo runion, RVD, Ric Flair, & Jeff Hardy all show up on the SAME NIGHT and it popped exactly one decent number before everyone was like nah this sow sucks. (Not a shot at any talent. That's a shot at how it was ran and promoted as a brand).

That's the night Bret Hart returned to WWE as guest host of WWE RAW. So satisfying seeing Bret beat those names you mentioned.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Ah, ok, this makes more sense now - I didn't realize you were mostly referring to his singles stuff to this point. Because I do agree with you on your last point for sure, the value is in having both Hardys. Matt's done some things I've enjoyed over the last three years (which obviously, we don't agree on) but he's rarely gotten reactions like they did as a team last night. I will say for the record that I also do enjoy him as a manager quite a bit, not sure your feeling on that, but I'd definitely be into it if he did it full time once he hangs it up.

I think he's fairly inoffensive. The Broken Hardy stuff was pretty bad but they departed from that v. quickly. Some of his Family Office schtick was amusing and was a nice mini-feud w/ Hangman (although Family Office latterly became a mess with too many different people involved) .. but probs. not sufficient to merit as much attention as he has. Feels like a classic Sunday Night Heat act .. so really he should prob. be in QT Marshall place in the pecking order topping out with occasional Rampage appearances .. instead he has routinely taken up Dynamite time. That's really the crux of it for me rather than any inherent dislike of the guy/act. He seems like a nice enough guy so no slight on him personally (and my bad if it comes across that way) but I think there are a ton of managers and some probably have more persona to transition into that role than he does.

Edited by A_K
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

So I get that The Pinnacle is done, but two questions now have come to mind:

1) Why does Spears have any loyalty toward MJF at this point?

Because he couldn't draw heat on his own if he were on fire

14 hours ago, (BP) said:

PVZ’s husband has what I’d best describe as Federline Heat.  

This was my only problem with that booking. I don't mind Wardlow losing, but unless this guy is gonna take a powerbomb in the near future you had somebody beat on Wardlow without getting any comeuppance.

13 hours ago, Pete said:

Not how haikus work

5-7-5 structure please

My work is done here.

Paul Turner is down

Send another fucking ref

Before Rosa beats me

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This JAS stuff I hope ends up like Foley doing the anti-Hardcore stuff in ECW.

As such, I expect Jericho to start working like a late 70's WWWF guy. Back rakes, double axe handles, exaggerated headlocks. Surely the group insist on never working a straight forward match, it's got to have sports entertainment stipulations added? Is a dusty finish where the result is reversed after one of them gets pinned in ten seconds, only to argue that as their pyro hadn't gone off and their entrance music was still playing, the match hadn't officially started? 

If they were to ape the Foley Dungeon of Doom t-shirt, I'm not sure who would be the poster boy for Sports Entertainment and would get enough heat? Khali?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, kafkonia said:

I mean, you have to ignore an awful lot of the roster to say Starks/Hobbes/Lee is "all the black guys" when it wasn't even half the guys on this week's episode.

The Acclaimed and Swerve were also in another segment with Starks & Hobbs about their feud with Lee, but hey I wasn't keeping count and as I say, I'm not really in that camp of people. It just struck me during those 2 segments and that it's a total 'treading water' feud didnt help. But no harm no foul.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...