Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

2022 SPRING TRAINING MOTHERFUCKERS


Dolfan in NYC
 Share

Recommended Posts

I think the key here is to roll things back in a way where it looks like an accomplishment and not a surrender/cave.

But there'll be another wave by the end of the summer because Covid really hasn't had any discernible offseason aside from "when the epidemic curve swings down".

Until NYC changes the rule, obviously non-NYC teams need to practice reciprocity and bar any Yankees who are barred in NYC. (Should I sarcasm font that?)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Yes and Freeman wanted north of $30M per year.  Olson's 27-years old. 

On top of that, and we'll find out shortly if it is true, rumors were that Freeman wanted a six year deal while the Braves wanted something shorter. They were trying to avoid having Freeman making 30 mil a year while being 37 years old hitting .210. I love Freeman and don't ever blame a player for getting their money however they can, but I can understand why the Braves would prefer the Olson contract based on their past dealing practices.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Man. Must be cool to be a Braves fan and watch your team do smart things that extend their championship window by multiple years.

Let's see what the Cubs are up to.

Oh. Andrelton Simmons. Neat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

As for who might be affected by such a thing, here's a guy giving everyone a very clear answer while attempting to be coy.

 

"Tell me you're not vaccinated without telling me you're not vaccinated".

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Man. Must be cool to be a Braves fan and watch your team do smart things that extend their championship window by multiple years.

Let's see what the Cubs are up to.

Oh. Andrelton Simmons. Neat.

Listen, when you've sustained losses of biblical proportions, you have to be careful and make wise decisions!

Imagine how I'd needle Craig if he wasn't a friend of mine. ?

Edited by Tabe
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

I think the key here is to roll things back in a way where it looks like an accomplishment and not a surrender/cave.

But there'll be another wave by the end of the summer because Covid really hasn't had any discernible offseason aside from "when the epidemic curve swings down".

Until NYC changes the rule, obviously non-NYC teams need to practice reciprocity and bar any Yankees who are barred in NYC. (Should I sarcasm font that?)

Bunch of companies are chomping at the fucking bit to mandate everyone back to their desks to justify their (company's) rent and NYC overhead.   My employer is pushing every Manhattan person back in 4/1.  I imagine there'll be no Vax mandate by then to take away all excuses (which is gonna suck for those fools that moved out of the city because they bought that "teleworking will be the new normal" bullshit that Executives were peddling to keep people from quitting)

Edited by Raziel
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess we now understand why MLB wants to drop MORE minor league teams in the latest CBA.

https://theathletic.com/3188098/2022/03/15/judge-rules-minor-league-players-are-mlb-employees-throughout-year-and-are-owed-damages/

(from what it sounds like, MLB tried to argue that minor league players should not be compensated for things like spring training, or time spent travelling, etcetera, and that the players were merely "Creative professionals" and not employees. They're looking at WWE and envying their "relationship" with "talent"

Edited by SirFozzie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

The Blue Jays and Athletics are finalizing a trade that would send third baseman Matt Chapman from Oakland to Toronto, tweets Jon Morosi of MLB.com. He adds that the Jays aren’t expected to include any projected members of their Opening Day roster in the deal. Former All-Star second baseman Carlos Baerga, who previously broke the news on the Jays signing both Yimi Garcia and (last offseason) Marcus Semien, first reported on Instagram that a trade agreement is in place.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chris Sale has a stress fracture in his rib cage and won't be ready for opening day

Lance McCullers also won't be ready for opening either.

In both cases it will be "weeks, not days" before either starts to resume throwing

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Going by Baseball America's preseason rankings

Hoglund was the Jays #5 prospect and Smith was #7 (though Smith was always, theoretically, gonna be blocked by Bo Bichette)

EDIT - Ed tells me that his memory is that Smith is projected to be 3B in the bigs so another reason, theoretically, the Jays could move him

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

The Cubs wound up signing Seiya Suzuki to...wtf? 5/70?! Ok then.

It is actually 5 years, $85 million

Largest for a Japanese position player, 2nd total behind the one for Tanaka

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

It is actually 5 years, $85 million

Largest for a Japanese position player, 2nd total behind the one for Tanaka

AND

9:20am: Suzuki’s contract is worth $85MM over five years, according to Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic, who also notes the inclusion of a full no-trade clause.  That makes for a $14.625MM posting fee, bringing the Cubs’ total expenditure to $99.625MM.  Only Suzuki’s $17MM AAV will count toward the luxury tax.

Full no-trade?  OK.  Sure.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

I guess we now understand why MLB wants to drop MORE minor league teams in the latest CBA.

https://theathletic.com/3188098/2022/03/15/judge-rules-minor-league-players-are-mlb-employees-throughout-year-and-are-owed-damages/

(from what it sounds like, MLB tried to argue that minor league players should not be compensated for things like spring training, or time spent travelling, etcetera, and that the players were merely "Creative professionals" and not employees. They're looking at WWE and envying their "relationship" with "talent"

Here's an article not behind a paywall:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2022-03-15/federal-judge-rules-minor-leaguers-are-year-round-mlb-employees

 

This article also mentions that a bill has been introduced in California that would grant minor leaguers full protections under California employee laws and would also allow teams to control minor leagues for 4 years instead of 7.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Yankee fans watching the AL East all improve:

Of all the people I would have expected to make the "they improved just because they got rid of Sanchez" joke...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • RIPPA unpinned and locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...