Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

What's Going On?


Dolfan in NYC
 Share

Recommended Posts

I had to work from home during lockdown in 2020 and it was a nightmare.  I was miserable and my staff was fairly unproductive.  Tasks that should have taken a day or two got drug out all week and I heard a lot of excuses for why people basically locked in their homes couldn't work.  I'm sure it works for some people and in some fields, but it's not for me.

I'm in the midst of interviewing for a new job.  One of the firms I interviewed with last week is wanting to move to either a hybrid or permanent work from home model after the pandemic ends (ha!).  I didn't know that before the first interview or I might have declined.  It's not definitely a deal breaker, but I don't feel like I'd fit in there in several respects.

Lol, I had a second interview there yesterday.  Thinking I might be able to use a job offer from them as leverage with a couple other firms.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

During my wife's shift at a local animal rescue today, someone came in to surrender their pet and lectured my wife on how hard it was for her (the customer) to make it during normal business hours.  Apparently the woman thinks the shelter should install an overnight drop box.  So she can dump her pet in the middle of the night like she was returning a DVD.

I'd say we deserve COVID, but really humanity deserves much worse that that.  

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

So I'm the workforce manager at my job. Meaning that I'm responsible for helping cover staffing shortages and planning schedules and determining how many hours are available in the time off pool, et cetera, et cetera.

Usually, I'm used to being considered the villain because I'm the one who has to look at how much business we're expected to get during the day, balance it against the productivity of our employees, and say "we can allow N employees off before we have X amount of reduction in our service goals".

And of course, it's always my fault if an employee exceeds the thresholds, but I do try to be as fair as possible to the employees and give them as much time off as I can possibly allow while also ensuring that the people who contact us get what they need (and, as we're a public service, we do need to actually provide them service).

So it's a balancing act, and I'm not popular at work as a result because the supervisors always blame me when there isn't enough time to go around. But these last two years, phew. It's really been like walking a tightrope, because I often feel like I'm the only one sticking up for the employees.

Some backstory; we gave everyone that wanted to work from home a telework kit in March 2020. I've been arguing that those kits should be made permanent, and that all future hires should be given the option. Reason? The employees are happier, we've had far less risk of COVID exposure, their productivity has gone up, I've been able to offer them more time off from work, and even if we have issues with a handful of people getting sick, we've still been able to meet our service goals. It's a win/win.

But their supervisors want them back into the office. Why? "We're worried about their morale being at home." And I say "have you asked them?" "Well, no, we just think that them being at home all the time is bad for their morale, and they need to be around people more." I show them the list of how productivity has increased for practically our entire unit, some significantly, and if morale is an issue, it certainly isn't showing in productivity or unscheduled absences.

(Two certain signs of low employee morale? Sudden unscheduled absences and lowered productivity. I've been doing this job for 10+ years. I know the patterns of an unmotivated employee.)

What do I get back? "Well, we still think that they should have to come back in, at least two days a week."

So I suggest running a survey, get employee feedback on how they think the telework program is going, what they'd like to see improved or changed, if they miss the office.

Nope. "Their morale seems low. We don't need a survey for that."

I sit in anywhere between four to six meetings a day of this nonsense. Not a week. A DAY. And I have been for six months. Not once have I been offered any piece of evidence that employee morale is low, and every time I make suggestions on how to prove this, it gets shot down with "you don't know what you're talking about, they're our reps, we know them better than anyone". Do you?

This job is going to give me an ulcer.

So freaking typical. So many supervisors have no idea how to manage people they aren't physically in contact with. They're terrified at having to judge people just based on performance. My company was very much against people working from home more than occasionally - and we're an IT company that can literally do everything remotely! - until the pandemic. Then everyone got sent home, productivity went up, and they've gotten rid of most of our office space and we can work from home permanently. 

But I guarantee 90% of the supervisors hate it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your stories make me appreciate my brother's company a bit as they actually did ask their employees about thoughts on working home vs. returning to the office instead of deciding everything on their own arbitrarily.

Edited by Eivion
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today's a poignant day as it's Ralfie's Gotcha Day. Ralfie was a malnourished dumped dog. I'll never forget the state he was in. I hate the cunts who did that to Ralfie. 14th January 2021 and we lost him 7th July 2021. Ralfie was so soft considering his circumstances. Miss you, fella xxx.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My test results from taking a swab two days ago (which they didn't let me know was gonna be 2-4 days until the very end) are negative, so I'm back to work after missing a day off. Oh well, it was Sunday and Sundays always suck there. Only problem is I have no idea if I'm gonna have any help today and my boss is clearly still sick judging from her voice on the phone. Ugh...

EDIT: Update, today sucked. I had help but the entire parking lot was filled with donations all night long. I have no idea how this job is gonna square up when it starts snowing. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Update on my Grandpa: still has pneumonia in both lungs, but now has another strain of pneumonia on top of that somehow. They put a feeding tube in his stomach because he can’t pass a swallow test. They’re sending him home, but with hospice/end of life care. Me, my Mom and Dad have to help out my Grandma until all of this is over.

And my cousin, who lives the closest and is a teacher, has COVID (and is double vaxxed).

  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/17/2022 at 4:41 PM, Curt McGirt said:

My test results from taking a swab two days ago (which they didn't let me know was gonna be 2-4 days until the very end) are negative, so I'm back to work after missing a day off. Oh well, it was Sunday and Sundays always suck there. Only problem is I have no idea if I'm gonna have any help today and my boss is clearly still sick judging from her voice on the phone. Ugh...

EDIT: Update, today sucked. I had help but the entire parking lot was filled with donations all night long. I have no idea how this job is gonna square up when it starts snowing. 

 

8 minutes ago, Casey said:

Update on my Grandpa: still has pneumonia in both lungs, but now has another strain of pneumonia on top of that somehow. They put a feeding tube in his stomach because he can’t pass a swallow test. They’re sending him home, but with hospice/end of life care. Me, my Mom and Dad have to help out my Grandma until all of this is over.

And my cousin, who lives the closest and is a teacher, has COVID (and is double vaxxed).

Virtual hugs, fellas xxx.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got a call about an hour ago that my son was probably exposed to Covid Friday.  The fact that I'm relieved that's what the call was about, instead of something worse, tells you how my week is going so far.

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Out of 11 employees at our store, 7 got the Rona and 4 didn't. Or at least didn't know if so, and that includes me. 

I also found out that our store used to have 30 employees. No wonder we always look like shit backstage. 

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, yeah, I spoke too soon in my last update post back on the 10th.

On Wednesday the 12th, got a text from my mom that she was having chest pains and needed to go the ER.  She wanted someone to take her and my wife agreed to do it.  I finished my work shift and then relieved her at the ER.  Was there a couple hours.  Mom was fine, just a false alarm. 

Came home from the ER and my brother-in-law was sitting in the living room.  He's a homeless alcoholic who visits a couple times a week to use my internet and get food from my mother-in-law (who lives with us).  He moved in with us at the start of the pandemic and stayed for about 15 months before his drinking became a problem again and got booted out.  I was told he was spending the night and didn't think too much about it.  Woke up the next morning and found out BIL was sick.  Friend brought over a couple COVID tests - yep, BIL is positive.  

The wife and I now have to have a discussion.  Although our exposure appeared to be minimal, we had planned to leave that evening for a couple nights away to celebrate our anniversary.  I told her we needed to err on the side of caution and cancel the trip.  She agreed.  BIL was quarantined in a room since he can't go anywhere - shelters wouldn't take him and he had nowhere else to go.  We're feeling fine so not too concerned as neither of us had gotten close to him.

Then, in the middle of the night, I wake up and I am not happy.  Upset, painful stomach and I start vomiting.  And I'm sick for the next 4 days, finally feeling a little better on Monday the 17th.  Just as I start feeling better, my wife gets sick.  And she's been sick ever since.  Mother-in-law somehow has remained fine throughout.  Wife tested positive for COVID on the 17th.  MIL tested positive on the 20th. 

I've tested negative three times but am completely exhausted.  I missed a week of work, just starting back today but barely have any energy at all.

Wife has missed over a week of work and will be off at least another week.  Her work has been awful, calling and bugging her about coming back.  They've repeatedly demanded paperwork showing she's COVID positive and not accepting photos of home rapid tests.  She's had to go to the doctor's office twice to get paperwork just to get them off her back.  She works retail but is one of only two people who do her particular job on a regular basis.  

The last 12 days have been something of a hellscape.  Four people under one roof doing their best to avoid each other, wearing masks when close.  We're wiping down surfaces after we use them, etc.  My BIL has been here for 12 days and I haven't seen him since that first night.  I'm sleeping in a recliner in a separate room away from my wife so the sleep I get isn't even particularly restful.  We're all completely worn out and nerves are frazzled.  I'm irritated because this all traces back to my BIL coming over when he was sick - and I didn't even get a vote on that.  He just showed up and MIL brought him in.  

So, yeah, not doing so hot.

  • Sad 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/18/2022 at 1:08 PM, Casey said:

He’s gone.

Fuck.

@CaseyHoly shit, I am sorry, dude.  I lost my father around the same time last year.  I know it hurts.  

@Tabe You are one of my favorite homies, Tabe.  My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family.  I hope things get better.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, J.T. said:

@Casey

@Tabe You are one of my favorite homies, Tabe.  My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family.  I hope things get better.

Thanks, JT. You're one of my favorites as well and I really appreciate the support. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Just posting random ass shit...

Modern, overused words I fucking hate:

  • Curated
  • Craft
  • Foodie
  • Artisanal

I remember an older NBA game(either PS4 or 360, I don't play video game basketball much) had the music "curated" by Pharrel(I think). Unless you are a museum director or a librarian, don't use that word to describe assembling things. . .

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

i have corrective eye surgery (PRK - PhotoRefractive Keratectomy) scheduled for tomorrow. I'm not nervous about the surgery itself- the whole thing will take less than 15 minutes and is done with lasers. But the recovery time may very well drive me insane. For a minimum of 3-4 days, i won't be able to do or see anything really. Everything will be extremely blurry, and an insane sensitivity to all light. OK, that i can handle. it won't be a joyride, but it will be fine. But final vision won't be achieved for 3-6 months. Apparently recovery times vary WILDLY (i've read a dozen or more blogs, and they are all very different). Considering that my job is in an office and spent on the PC, plus i love video games and digital comic books and youtube and all things internet in general, the uncertainty of when i can return to "normal" is definitely stressing me out a bit. When can i drive again? we'll see. when can i spend a full day in the office again? who knows. when can i relax on these (and other) forums again? we will have to wait and see. Will i ever play my Virtual Boy again? it's a mystery! (to be fair, even under the best conditions, i only bust out the VB once every couple of years). Anyway, i'm really posting this to A) get it off my chest, and B) let everyone know not to worry if you don't see me online for a while.

tl:dr
i'll be offline for sometime between a week and six months. see you (ha!) on the other side!

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i have corrective eye surgery (PRK - PhotoRefractive Keratectomy) scheduled for tomorrow. I'm not nervous about the surgery itself- the whole thing will take less than 15 minutes and is done with lasers. But the recovery time may very well drive me insane. For a minimum of 3-4 days, i won't be able to do or see anything really. Everything will be extremely blurry, and an insane sensitivity to all light. OK, that i can handle. it won't be a joyride, but it will be fine. But final vision won't be achieved for 3-6 months. Apparently recovery times vary WILDLY (i've read a dozen or more blogs, and they are all very different). Considering that my job is in an office and spent on the PC, plus i love video games and digital comic books and youtube and all things internet in general, the uncertainty of when i can return to "normal" is definitely stressing me out a bit. When can i drive again? we'll see. when can i spend a full day in the office again? who knows. when can i relax on these (and other) forums again? we will have to wait and see. Will i ever play my Virtual Boy again? it's a mystery! (to be fair, even under the best conditions, i only bust out the VB once every couple of years). Anyway, i'm really posting this to A) get it off my chest, and B) let everyone know not to worry if you don't see me online for a while.

tl:dr
i'll be offline for sometime between a week and six months. see you (ha!) on the other side!

Best wishes to you, my friend. Love, Paul xxx.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i have corrective eye surgery (PRK - PhotoRefractive Keratectomy) scheduled for tomorrow. I'm not nervous about the surgery itself- the whole thing will take less than 15 minutes and is done with lasers. But the recovery time may very well drive me insane. For a minimum of 3-4 days, i won't be able to do or see anything really. Everything will be extremely blurry, and an insane sensitivity to all light. OK, that i can handle. it won't be a joyride, but it will be fine. But final vision won't be achieved for 3-6 months. Apparently recovery times vary WILDLY (i've read a dozen or more blogs, and they are all very different). Considering that my job is in an office and spent on the PC, plus i love video games and digital comic books and youtube and all things internet in general, the uncertainty of when i can return to "normal" is definitely stressing me out a bit. When can i drive again? we'll see. when can i spend a full day in the office again? who knows. when can i relax on these (and other) forums again? we will have to wait and see. Will i ever play my Virtual Boy again? it's a mystery! (to be fair, even under the best conditions, i only bust out the VB once every couple of years). Anyway, i'm really posting this to A) get it off my chest, and B) let everyone know not to worry if you don't see me online for a while.

tl:dr
i'll be offline for sometime between a week and six months. see you (ha!) on the other side!

Good luck, buddy.  My wife had PRK years ago and I can tell you the recovery time was actually quicker than projections.  I was luckier than her and qualified for LASIK.  If the post-op pain is in question, definitely ask for the good drugs.  When I got LASIK, they only gave me a TYLENOL PM FOR FUCK'S SAKE.  They told me "go home, sleep for a few hours, and your vision will be great."  That shit felt like I had glass in my eyes.  Driving home, we had to stop at 7-11 so I could wash out my eyes with bottled water to try to relieve the pain.  There was no way I'd be able to sleep when I got home.  LUCKILY, I had some Vicodin left over from wisdom tooth surgery.  Believe me that I took those fuckers as soon as I got home.  Then I was able to sleep and my vision was great. 

TL;DR -- healing may be faster than they say and get good drugs if you need them

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Good luck, buddy.  My wife had PRK years ago and I can tell you the recovery time was actually quicker than projections.  I was luckier than her and qualified for LASIK.  If the post-op pain is in question, definitely ask for the good drugs.  When I got LASIK, they only gave me a TYLENOL PM FOR FUCK'S SAKE.  They told me "go home, sleep for a few hours, and your vision will be great."  That shit felt like I had glass in my eyes.  Driving home, we had to stop at 7-11 so I could wash out my eyes with bottled water to try to relieve the pain.  There was no way I'd be able to sleep when I got home.  LUCKILY, I had some Vicodin left over from wisdom tooth surgery.  Believe me that I took those fuckers as soon as I got home.  Then I was able to sleep and my vision was great. 

TL;DR -- healing may be faster than they say and get good drugs if you need them

good to know! i'm preparing for a long recovery time so i don't get my hopes up. i qualified for either LASIK or PRK and chose the PRK due to it being less invasive and marginally safer but with the same long-term results. i have some drugs on stand-by if need be 😉 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The takeaway from all this is that you should ALWAYS keep the good drugs if you have any left over and no longer need them.  I had spinal surgery last year and you can bet I have all leftover muscle relaxers, stronger NSAIDs, and opiates bagged up and ready in case I ever need them.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...