DVDVR Message Board

What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC

On 2/6/2022 at 10:01 AM, SirFozzie said:

It's very likely I dodged the COVID bullet. This time.

Now if I could get the numbers to go down so I could actually, you know do things like get a haircut and live life ?

I'd say I'm about two weeks from a haircut. Spike seems to be over here. Might wait a little bit to see if we hear about the 4 year old and a shot anytime soon. It seemed like we were on the verge of something a couple of days ago. I needed a haircut about a month and a half ago, so the math isn't in my favor, but it's close.

If Spider-Man wasn't going on demand at the end of the month, I'd take the 9 year old now, but there's no real point for any sort of risk since it's so close to being watchable.

They are going to start up Phase III again to return to work, which means it's not impossible I go into DC next month for at least a day or two, but I'm going to be at home full time for as long as I can.

Probably should try to figure out when my parents can visit again now that numbers are down. Only so many of those visits left.

So, funny moment here (Funny ha-ha and Funny Uh-Oh)

As fo9lks know, my brother has been living in a hotel suite for the last week, because of his COVID diagnosis. He originally booked until today (the 9th), but needed to know if he was still contagious. (if he was barely contagious he could just hide in his room for a day after he checked out). So, he came home, and took one of the rapid COVID tests that the government provides. I'll let him describe.

"If you're still contagious, it's supposed to show red within 20 minutes or so. Within a minute, it was deep BRIGHT Red."

So, he promptly had to turn around (after spraying everything down that he might have touched) and extend his stay at the suite for a couple more days at least. It was this in real life.

Edited by SirFozzie
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Things you don't see everyday:

An Amish/Mennonite elder at the bank drive thru. 

No, he was not in a buggy. He was just standing there. I did not see a buggy anywhere, so not sure where he parked or if he came in someone's POV. 

My father passed away unexpectedly yesterday.  He was in his 80's so he's at that age where you know in the back of your mind something could happen very quickly, but Dad appeared to be in good health for his age and was still healthy and active.  He got up early to go work a volunteer shift at a local hospital, called me about 8:45 to talk about a basketball game and tell me he'd drop something off to me in the early afternoon, then had a heart attack 30 minutes later.  He was a few hundred feet from the ER and six feet from an EMT who was passing by, but ultimately they couldn't do much.  They revived him after 8-10 minutes (likely brain damage) and got him on a respirator and a few other machines but he never regained consciousness and by evening it was obvious the damage was too great.  

I'm pretty numb.  I think I'm prepared to lose my dad, but I'm not prepared for my mom to lose her husband after 55 years or my kids to lose their grandfather.  The lasting image from yesterday will probably be walking out to the waiting room to check on my wife and kids and seeing my adult children (20-somethings) huddled with their cousins bawling their eyes out because they had just been told we were going to have to discontinue life support.  His youngest grandchild turned 21 yesterday and had a family party over the weekend, so he lived just long enough to see his grandkids grow up.  My parents are/were the super-involved grandparents who drove three hours to watch an away basketball game, so that's probably what Dad wanted most out of life.

My mom is still very independent,  Drives. pays bills, mastered her ipad, etc. so she can probably adapt, but I'm still freaking out trying to wrap my head around all the things we'll have to take care of or help her with.  

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Sad 18

Thanks to everyone who's posted or reached out.  We're doing as well as can be expected.  My wife is saying this is the first time she's seen me cry.  She's probably right.  I'm not good at things like that.

Really realizing how many people loved my father.  We've heard from a parade of friends and acquaintances who thought highly of him.  I'm meeting a lot of these people for the first time so it's giving me a perspective I wish I'd had while i was living.  Most of the people I've called the past few days have taken the news hard.  I didn't expect the mechanic who serviced his antique cars occasionally to break down on the phone.

Part of me wonders if I/we (my siblings and I) appreciated our dad enough.  He was a good guy who was almost always there for his kids and grandkids.  He never really seemed to be around all the time when he was alive, so I'm shocked to realize it's been years - maybe even decades - since a week went by without me talking to my dad at least once or seeing him at a ballgame or having him drop off something for the kids.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Really realizing how many people loved my father.  We've heard from a parade of friends and acquaintances who thought highly of him.  I'm meeting a lot of these people for the first time so it's giving me a perspective I wish I'd had while i was living.  Most of the people I've called the past few days have taken the news hard.  I didn't expect the mechanic who serviced his antique cars occasionally to break down on the phone.

This reminds me of when my mom died back in 2011. My family was shocked at the amount of people who came to the wake. She was well liked at Nasa and had trained many people, but her personality wasn't the most outgoing. I always got the feeling she was more liked than she let on so it was nice to see.

• Like 2

When my dad passed 5 years ago, my sister and I bought a pack of 150 name tags for people to wear at the Celebration of Life (dad didn't want a somber funeral, he wanted people drinking tequila and telling stories about how awesome he was), thinking that would be more than enough. We were wrong. Almost 200 people. Much like you guys, it gave me some perspective on how everyone else saw him instead of me looking at him through the lens of a child who loves their parent very much.

• Like 4

Sorry for your loss @Tarheel Moneghetti.  I could have written your post.  My father passed away in his sleep a few weeks before my parents' 50th wedding anniversary.  The night before he passed, my family got together for dinner to discuss details for the anniversary party.  Dad seemed normal and had seen his cardiologist and gotten a blood workup only a few weeks before.  Test results were good and he seemed fine.  We thought he'd live into his 90's.

He had a good relationship with all of his kids, but we still felt guilty that we didn't do more for him in life.  We didn't realize until he passed how much he did for us even as adults.  Like Tarheel's father, he was always around, but sort of in the background.  My mom was more outgoing than Dad was and sort of demanded your attention.  Dad wasn't aloof, but he was reserved and didn't show his emotions easily.  He wasn't much for small talk and never seemed to ask for or expect anything, so it was easy to get involved in our own lives and not really notice how much he was doing for us.   Before he passed, I felt like we didn't talk that much, and then he passed away and I realized we talked constantly, just short conversations.  I still find myself occasionally reaching for the phone when I see a headline that would interest him or one of my kids have news.

Good luck.  Hope your mom can adapt.  My mother held up really well and was independent enough that we hoped she could transition to living alone.  She passed away too a few months later.  In hindsight, we feel she realized she would never have a partner again and probably gave up a little.   I wasn't as sad when she passed because it really did seem like she had a long, full life & joining with dad in the afterlife might have been the best result.  I doubt either of my parents really wanted to outlive the other.

Edited by Mario
  • Like 3

I just got laid off. I’m liked there and I just got an excellent review, so I’m reasonably sure I can get moved somewhere else in the company. I don’t even know that I want to though. They eliminated two regions of the country worth of positions and tried to get off the call without answering questions. I bailed when the screaming started. My wife’s the breadwinner at this point anyway, but I carried the health insurance benefits, so that’ll be fun to figure out. 

• Sad 6

I'm tired.  And I have been for four months, basically.

In November and December, it was work wearing me out.

In January, it was COVID.

And during much of the last couple months, including last night, it's been my dog.  

Buddy is my 12 year old black lab.  He's got heart issues that cause him to have breathing problems.  He'll wheeze and cough.  There's really not much we can do for him.  He's been on a couple different medications.  The one he's on right now helps him but he still has problems.  Especially at night.  Basically what will happen is that he'll start having trouble breathing or gets otherwise agitated and he comes and wakes me up.  Never my wife, always me.  Getting him back to being reasonably comfortable can take anywhere from a couple minutes to a half hour.  Sometimes I can just calm him down by talking to him and comforting him.  Sometimes we go outside.  Sometimes we go outside and walk around, etc.  

One night this weekend, he didn't wake me up at all.  It was heavenly.  

Last night was the opposite.  He woke me up at least four times.  Another time, I was woken up when my wife tripped and fell over the dog when she got up to use the restroom (thankfully, both were unhurt as it could've been really bad).  And then I got woken up by her alarm.  And at least 3 different times by the cat, who likes to get on my wife's nightstand and knock stuff around.  And once by a text message from a friend.  And so on.  All in all, got woken up at least a dozen times last night.

While last night was kind of an extreme, that's kind of how my nights have gone the last few months.  The dog is otherwise well enough and happy enough.  It's just been rough and I'm tired.  Really, really tired.

• Sad 4

30 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I just got laid off. I’m liked there and I just got an excellent review, so I’m reasonably sure I can get moved somewhere else in the company. I don’t even know that I want to though. They eliminated two regions of the country worth of positions and tried to get off the call without answering questions. I bailed when the screaming started. My wife’s the breadwinner at this point anyway, but I carried the health insurance benefits, so that’ll be fun to figure out. 

Sorry to hear that, @(BP). Best wishes.

5 minutes ago, Tabe said:

I'm tired.  And I have been for four months, basically.

In November and December, it was work wearing me out.

In January, it was COVID.

And during much of the last couple months, including last night, it's been my dog.  

Buddy is my 12 year old black lab.  He's got heart issues that cause him to have breathing problems.  He'll wheeze and cough.  There's really not much we can do for him.  He's been on a couple different medications.  The one he's on right now helps him but he still has problems.  Especially at night.  Basically what will happen is that he'll start having trouble breathing or gets otherwise agitated and he comes and wakes me up.  Never my wife, always me.  Getting him back to being reasonably comfortable can take anywhere from a couple minutes to a half hour.  Sometimes I can just calm him down by talking to him and comforting him.  Sometimes we go outside.  Sometimes we go outside and walk around, etc.  

One night this weekend, he didn't wake me up at all.  It was heavenly.  

Last night was the opposite.  He woke me up at least four times.  Another time, I was woken up when my wife tripped and fell over the dog when she got up to use the restroom (thankfully, both were unhurt as it could've been really bad).  And then I got woken up by her alarm.  And at least 3 different times by the cat, who likes to get on my wife's nightstand and knock stuff around.  And once by a text message from a friend.  And so on.  All in all, got woken up at least a dozen times last night.

While last night was kind of an extreme, that's kind of how my nights have gone the last few months.  The dog is otherwise well enough and happy enough.  It's just been rough and I'm tired.  Really, really tired.

Best wishes, @Tabe. Hope things improve. Tiredness is so demoralizing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Update: So my wife is not uninjured.  She's in rough shape this morning, with pain in one hand/wrist, her other upper arm, and a lot of pain in her knee.  She was already dealing with wrist pain in her other wrist so she's pretty miserable at the moment.  She has a doctor appointment in an hour, fortunately.

• Sad 1

My last dog Comet (basset hound) had a horrible time towards the end. She was an outside dog and I would be woken up by endless barking and howling every morning. We couldn't figure out what to do about it and I felt like my folks didn't believe me because they were at work by the time she started (I was unemployed at the time). It was a nightmare. 

Our current dog Leo (dachshund) is 15 but isn't showing any signs of slowing down. He does have sudden tremors that look like seizures at times but we've asked the doctors and they said it's not to be helped. He also got A LOT of big-ass warts for some reason. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

When I had 30-40 kidney stones, I was told it was one of the worst pains ever. I can vouch for that. I can honestly say the pain I'm in isn't far off. My health has taken a decline the past year and half, but more so the past few months aging with Cerebral Palsy and my medicines getting messed around with.

Edited by The Natural
  • Sad 4

So, I'm not sure where to put this, in computers/gaming or here, but man. Today's wordle was... for lack of a better word..... ENRAGING

It should be fairly easy. Got the 1st, 2nd, and fourth letters in a five letter word on the 2nd guess, and very nearly whiffed it.

My brain was running through every conceivable pairing for those remaining two letters, and it took me almost 20 minutes into my sixth and final guess to get it right. Mostly because it's a word I never deal with.

(Oh, and my friend Josh was giggling madly as he listened to me rage about "what the actual fuck!"

Don't click spoiler 1 unless you've already played today's word (or not going to play it). If I have to suffer, so do you :P. I put in what the status was entering my sixth guess. Spoiler 2 is the answer

Spoiler

For those of you who don't play, it was CA_L_.

Letters Left: QYUIDFGJKZXVM

For those who can't (like me) figure out the word without taking a cheese grater to the brain..

Spoiler

The word was CAULK

Edited by SirFozzie
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

So, I'm not sure where to put this, in computers/gaming or here, but man. Today's wordle was... for lack of a better word..... ENRAGING

I say this as kindly as possible, but the right place to put this was Facebook.

5 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

It should be fairly easy. Got the 1st, 2nd, and fourth letters in a five letter word on the 2nd guess, and very nearly whiffed it.

My brain was running through every conceivable pairing for those remaining two letters, and it took me almost 20 minutes into my sixth and final guess to get it right. Mostly because it's a word I never deal with.

(Oh, and my friend Josh was giggling madly as he listened to me rage about "what the actual fuck!"

Don't click spoiler 1 unless you've already played today's word (or not going to play it). If I have to suffer, so do you :P. I put in what the status was entering my sixth guess. Spoiler 2 is the answer

Hide contents

For those of you who don't play, it was CA_L_.

Letters Left: QYUIDFGJKZXVM

For those who can't (like me) figure out the word without taking a cheese grater to the brain..

Hide contents

The word was CAULK

Funnily enough I just finished today's Wordle before checking this thread.  Today was fine even for my super-tired brain.  But yesterday was just maddening as I couldn't figure out what the fuck to put in there.  It is a nice enough distraction but I just hope NYT doesn't put it behind a paywall eventually.