DVDVR Message Board

What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC

It was just out-of-left-field enough that I was glad I wasn't playing on Hard mode.  Then again, my alternate guess for # 4 would have given me just as much information as my actual guess, as it turns out, so I would have probably gotten it in 5 anyway.  If you didn't get it at all, I guess you could say you really _____ed it up.

On 2/15/2022 at 11:35 AM, The Natural said:

When I had 30-40 kidney stones, I was told it was one of the worst pains ever. I can vouch for that. I can honestly say the pain I'm in isn't far off. My health has taken a decline the past year and half, but more so the past few months aging with Cerebral Palsy and my medicines getting messed around with.

I seriously hope the best outcome for you, man. I've passed 2 kidney stones and those suck, but good grief that sounds brutal beyond description to due it justice.

• Thanks 1

I never heard of "Wordle" before checking this thread, but it's an interesting puzzle. Got todays in five tries, despite completely wasting my second try because I didn't pay enough attention to the instructions and thought gray meant "letter is in the word but not in that position".

12 hours ago, Ryan said:

I seriously hope the best outcome for you, man. I've passed 2 kidney stones and those suck, but good grief that sounds brutal beyond description to due it justice.

Really appreciate that, man. Yeah, I had 30-40 kidney stones and the pain was off the scale. Took so long for my appointment for removal that on the date of, they found I'd passed them naturally (no pun intended). Wish they found out before the stupid suppository.

11 hours ago, Casey said:

My youngest shih-tzu, barely 5 years old, got diagnosed with lymphoma today.

God FUCKING damnit.

I'm so sorry. We found a lump on Rayven's head at the start of 2021 and you go from it might not be cancer, it is and can be treated only to be told its terminal. Rayven was diagnosed in May, somehow made her 6th birthday in August and passed at the start of September. I miss that dog so fucking much, she was everything to me. Thinking of you and your shih-tzu xxx.

Edited by The Natural

I’m at my wits end with work. After I was notified I was getting laid off I was given multiple assurances I’d be offered another role in the company. A recruiter reached out to me and offered me a similar job, but it’s one that would change my travel route from sites within thirty minutes of my house to being spread out across three different states hours away. I didn’t formally get offered the position, and I never would’ve agreed to it, but I found out today that somehow I’ve accepted the job and I’m supposed to attend a training seminar for it tomorrow. 

I’m so frustrated because I feel like I’m being jerked around. More importantly, I’m worried that if things don’t work out and I’m gone at the end of the month that they’re going to try to withhold my severance and create an issue with unemployment because I “agreed” to another position in the company.

I think it’s genuine human error and nothing nefarious, but that doesn’t make it any better. In the meantime I’ve applied for a management position that would keep me local, and frankly I’m overqualified for what I’ve been doing anyway. I just stayed because it was a flexible schedule that would allow me to raise my kids. Now we’re trying to figure out unemployment claims and health insurance stuff. 

Edited by (BP)
  • Sad 3

Since everyone loves a good "landlords make life harder" story....

I've been living at my current place for two years and I'm a chill tenant, I've never called in any issues and just plug along. Well the toilet valve started leaking and I figured, I'll just get a plumber to fix it. Dude said it would be $170, it would be easier to schedule myself and my rent is too low for the area I live so I would just get it fixed and keep it moving. Well the plumber came out and unfortunately the issue was also a cracked water pipe just inside the wall that connected to the valve. He said he'd replace the valve and pipe for the same price quoted. I say cool but since he'd have to cut a tiny hole in the ceiling to get to the pipe, I wanted to loop in my landlord so he didn't kvetch later about the hole.

So when the cracked water pipe was removed, my main water was cut off first and now I have no water at all. I called the landlord last night, the guy I got was able to come back this morning and fix it. But the landlord wants to come look at it himself and use his handyman to repair it. At first he said "can we come Saturday?" and I said no, I have no water and if you aren't here tomorrow morning I'm calling the guy I had and I'm fixing it because.... I have no water. So now him and the handyman are coming at 11 AM this morning. And obviously I'm annoyed as not only is $170 a reasonable price, but the guy already had diagnosed the issue and had the pipe ready to go to replace, now I have to trust this other handyman to not only be on time but fix it without having to "order parts," and I have to deal with the landlord doing... who knows what, no idea why he is coming. I sent the landlord his estimate so he could see it was a completely legit plumber, it wasn't a situation I was going to have my cousin's best friend do the repair.

The only upside is obviously I'm not paying his handyman, this guy is on his dime, but I just don't understand why the licensed and insured plumber I already had willing and able to fix it got pushed aside so that landlord and buddy could come 'take a look' all while I have no water. I'm getting it fixed today regardless, if his handyman doesn't do it then I'm immediately calling someone else to do it. Money isn't the issue, I just want water. Water is good.

• Like 6

My cousin passed away tonight at 1022 cst

I'm still in shock because until literally hours ago nobody knew what was happening with him. My aunt posted on Facebook back around the 5th that my cousin had to go into the hospital, he was unresponsive and couldn't breathe and his heart was slowing down 

Now some of my cousins and me reach out to keep in touch with her, sending the family prayers and support. But my aunt never gave anyone any updates beyond its real bad and he's gotten worse 

So that's two weeks of he's getting worse, its very bad, but no explanation beyond its very bad and he's getting worse 

My stepmother passed away about 5 years back after being hospitalized for months, so I have some experience with hospitalizations and the inevitable trip to hospice care before we say goodbye 

What had me puzzled was my aunt being as vague as possible, like yknow how every family has their black sheep so to speak, that nobody is in touch with? Well our huge family has about four branches of black sheep in the family tree and lets just say her branch in particular has been known to cry wolf on thousands of occasions, be it my aunt or her daughter or one of her boys

So my aunt saying from the beginning "its very bad, its not good" and then being as vague as fucking humanly possible had me wondering was this another Cry Wolf episode?

Its been said a few times, not by me but other relatives, that my aunt would post at least 2 or 3 times a year how her sin was back in the hospital for this procedure or that one. A different aunt pointed out how my cousin had just gone through some issue around October and that this might be another "emergency visit" just like the last 20 emergency visits of the last 4 years 

Aka we hear there's some tragic incident but then it quickly blows over and is forgotten until the next emergency tragic incident 

So I wasn't the only one thinking aloud that this could possibly be the next Cry Wolf episode. And so here we were skeptical as fuck about everything with my cousin 

Then at 5pm we're hearing about they're going to unplug him and if we want to say goodbye we have to rush there by 7, etc etc

So a good chunk of the family didn't take this seriously because of my aunts vagueness and her reputation for over exaggerating the health issues her family goes through 

And thanks to healthy skepticism there's a bunch of grieving angry relatives trying to cope with my cousins passing and nobody who made it to the hospice care to visit is in any condition to drive home, crying so much and all.

Just rambling outta anger and grief ? sorry

• Haha 1
  • Sad 8

On 11/6/2021 at 9:21 PM, BrianS81177 said:
Spoiler

So life ain't great right now. My girlfriend and I met 13 years ago. 11 years ago she moved about 80 miles away but we maintained a LDR because we were in love. I'd tried to get a job where she was for years but never could because I would only ever be able to make it out there a few days out of the month, usually on a weekend so it was super hard to get interviews. Finally the time comes a couple months ago that I sell my mom's house after she passed away last year. With that money, I was finally able to afford to not be able to work for a little while. We had been talking for months about how once the house sold we could finally get married, and we were going to buy a plot of land and build a place on it, and we were gonna honeymoon at Universal Orlando, etc. I get out there with all my stuff and get it loaded into a storage shed on her property and like 3 days after I get out there she seems like she's avoiding me. Going to bed hours before I do, going in the bedroom talking on the phone, etc. Finally after a week of this (and her showing total indifference to a drawing of a custom designed engagement ring I was gonna buy for her), I confront her about something obviously being wrong.

She then tells me that she's been talking with some guy she works with because he is going through a divorce and she always has to be the shoulder for people to cry on. She tells me she has feelings for him and that they kissed. After that I give her space for a couple of days to think things over (she gets home from work at 6 and goes to bed around 830, so I would leave at like 545, go get some dinner then go see a movie and sleep on the couch). After a couple days of this she still seems to be avoiding talking to me. So I pack up a week's worth of clothes and tell her I'm gonna go stay at my sister's for a week. I had to tell her in a letter because she was avoiding me and talking on the phone all day.

Long story short a week winds up being almost a month. In that time we have 2 conversations that total maybe 25 minutes and I get a couple short text messages from her asking about my grandpa (who I found out was dying during this time). After our second conversation we agree to talk again the next weekend (1 week later). 7 days go by and she doesn't call. 8 days. 9 days. Finally on the 10th day I'm freaking out, I reach out to one of her friends and ask if she will tell her to please call me already. The friend agrees, and does just that. My girlfriend calls all mad at me for going behind her back to her friend, tells me that while she still loves me she also still has feelings for this guy and says I should come get my stuff. So tomorrow morning, my sister and brother in law are coming with me out there to get my stuff and I'm freaking out because I'm realizing that this is it. And I just don't understand how 2 months ago we were talking excitedly about getting married, etc and now the whole relationship is falling apart. I feel like my life is over. I'm 44 years old. I don't have a job and I'm currently living in a small room in my sister's basement. I feel like I'm too old to start all over and I can't believe the last 13 years of my life and everything I was dreaming of for years is gone, just that quickly. I honestly want to die. I'm not going to kill myself because I wouldn't do that to my sister but I have completely lost all will to live.

On 11/25/2021 at 1:07 AM, BrianS81177 said:
Spoiler

A little follow up on this. Still haven't heard from her and honestly don't give a shit if I do ever again. I've decided to go back to school in the spring so I can finally get out of the endless cycle of shitty retail job after shitty retail job I've been in for 25 years. I'm thinking either medical billing or pharmacy technician. Something I can complete the classes for in 6-9 months. I also bought myself my first ever brand new vehicle (2021 Ford Escape Hybrid) today. They say the best revenge is living well, right? Well I'm gonna get myself going on a right track and stick my happiness right up her ass.

(used spoiler tags so the post wouldn't be huge)

A follow up on the above. 2022 has thus far been kinder than 2021 was. Went to visit a friend down in Phoenix for a few days in January. First time in my life I've been able to go outside in January with just a tshirt on lol. Getting out of town for a few days was exactly what I needed and it really gave me a lot of clarity as I realized I didn't think about my ex once while I was down there. I'm also going to be registering for classes in a couple of weeks (decided on medical coding). Best of all, I've been seeing somebody for about a month now and so far things are going good. Turns out we actually went to high school and while we knew OF each other, never really knew each other that well despite knowing a lot of the same people. I don't know if she's the one I'm going to marry or anything like that yet but things between us are good so far. So things are starting to look up a bit.

Edited by BrianS81177
  • Like 3

On 2/19/2022 at 12:48 AM, Hayabusa said:

My cousin passed away tonight at 1022 cst

I'm still in shock because until literally hours ago nobody knew what was happening with him. My aunt posted on Facebook back around the 5th that my cousin had to go into the hospital, he was unresponsive and couldn't breathe and his heart was slowing down 

Now some of my cousins and me reach out to keep in touch with her, sending the family prayers and support. But my aunt never gave anyone any updates beyond its real bad and he's gotten worse 

So that's two weeks of he's getting worse, its very bad, but no explanation beyond its very bad and he's getting worse 

My stepmother passed away about 5 years back after being hospitalized for months, so I have some experience with hospitalizations and the inevitable trip to hospice care before we say goodbye 

What had me puzzled was my aunt being as vague as possible, like yknow how every family has their black sheep so to speak, that nobody is in touch with? Well our huge family has about four branches of black sheep in the family tree and lets just say her branch in particular has been known to cry wolf on thousands of occasions, be it my aunt or her daughter or one of her boys

So my aunt saying from the beginning "its very bad, its not good" and then being as vague as fucking humanly possible had me wondering was this another Cry Wolf episode?

Its been said a few times, not by me but other relatives, that my aunt would post at least 2 or 3 times a year how her sin was back in the hospital for this procedure or that one. A different aunt pointed out how my cousin had just gone through some issue around October and that this might be another "emergency visit" just like the last 20 emergency visits of the last 4 years 

Aka we hear there's some tragic incident but then it quickly blows over and is forgotten until the next emergency tragic incident 

So I wasn't the only one thinking aloud that this could possibly be the next Cry Wolf episode. And so here we were skeptical as fuck about everything with my cousin 

Then at 5pm we're hearing about they're going to unplug him and if we want to say goodbye we have to rush there by 7, etc etc

So a good chunk of the family didn't take this seriously because of my aunts vagueness and her reputation for over exaggerating the health issues her family goes through 

And thanks to healthy skepticism there's a bunch of grieving angry relatives trying to cope with my cousins passing and nobody who made it to the hospice care to visit is in any condition to drive home, crying so much and all.

Just rambling outta anger and grief ? sorry

I'm sorry for your family, that's just unbearably brutal. Do what you can, we're there with you in whatever context that gives you comfort. 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, The Natural said:

FMVtbNBaUAADNlO?format=jpg&name=small

This with the coronavirus pandemic and now Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

Yep.  I got back from Kaiserslautern a couple of days ago locking down systems so that 82nd could run readiness drills.  Several US units are on high alert thanks to the bullshit in Ukraine.

Germany is pretty fucking cold this time of year.  

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

I know we have a million more important things going on now but what the hell is this picture pixelating stuff on Twitter in the last week.   I can understand maybe doing it for violent or sexual stuff but hell about 80% of my pictures are pixelated.   Is this some setting that needs to be changed

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Drove down Conduit Road earlier, someone had changed it to Condom Road, fnar. 

Edited by Jimbo_Tsuruta