DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOV 2020

Dolfan in NYC

28 minutes ago, AxB said:

The tag team of TNT that's on Dark? Terrence and Terrell. Los hijos del Devon Dudley.

I'm going to be really disappointed when they look alike and neither one takes after Big Daddy Dudley, aren't I?

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Eoae said:

I'm going to be really disappointed when they look alike and neither one takes after Big Daddy Dudley, aren't I?

They're twins. Identical twins, even. If anyone was ever born with their job, it's the identical twin sons of a tag team wrestler. Although why they're debuting in AEW when Daddy Devon is employed by WWE (he's still there, right?) I don't know.

Sad bois everywhere. The post in one of the main forum threads about Kingston's potentially unhealthy use of real life certainly had me looking at it in a different light. I'm very excited for a redemption arc from Kingston though and Pac could be a great foil for him. The jacked up ex-WWE guy with no self doubt but all of the rage vs. the indie wrestler with less than ideal physical tools who just failed and is trying to convince himself that he'll still win because it's all he's got. Yeah, sign me up. It'll suck when one of them has to lose in the end though. I'm very interested to see where Pac slots in long term. Is he a guy that TK feels can carry the world title? If not, why? Omega, MJF, and Hangman all feel like locks in my eyes over the next two years. Not sure who else is in the picture.

The Hangman stuff is spot on. He needs a detour for a while and they never really followed up on the Brodie Lee stuff, so the Dark Order is perfect for both sides at this time.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I'm very excited for a redemption arc from Kingston though and Pac could be a great foil for him. The jacked up ex-WWE guy with no self doubt but all of the rage vs. the indie wrestler with less than ideal physical tools who just failed and is trying to convince himself that he'll still win because it's all he's got. 

It’s interesting you bring up PAC as the  very picture of self-assuredness.  I remember maybe 10 years ago he did an interview on Art of Wrestling where he went really deeply into all his own issues with insecurity and crippling self-doubt.

• Like 1

On that PAC tip - before lockdown this year, they were basically slotting him into main event stuff, or at the very least the upper parts of the midcard. I think he can work any part of the card and make it believable, personally.

Also, Hangman chanting “Fuck Hangman” was heartbreaking.

Trading cards? Awesome, more AEW stuff I’ll never be able to find! ?

AEW has a unique opportunity to tell a major story about mental health issues with both Hangman and Kingston.

I don't think that's where they will go but I trust their storytelling if they did. If this was real life I would be terribly afraid for Hangman, like stop whatever I am doing to make sure he's okay type nervous. Hangman may also be the best pure actor in AEW so it's sold just that much better.

Kingston "nearly died" to be the champ and had to quit. What will that do to his psyche? Will he factor that he may never get another shot at the big belt in the story? He's already on the older side of the roster. Both stories are interesting and it would be interesting to see a Mox Kingston tag team once this is over.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Trading cards? Awesome, more AEW stuff I’ll never be able to find! ?

Dude, no shit. At this point I'm suspecting it's just artificial scarcity. I hate Walmart and love my mom so I go to Walmart twice a week, sometimes three times, to get her prescriptions. Each time I go I check out the action figure aisle there is nothing for AEW figures. Just completely barren. It's just very weird that in fucking Mishawaka, a much smaller sister city to South Bend, that many months after the action figures came out that collectors would continue raiding shelves. And that's basically the story at every Walmart.

Make more of the fucking action figures.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At this point all of Wave 1 are chase figures, not just the actual chase figures ? it’s weird because apparently the title belt and basic ring are always in stock (I know the ring is at my local Walmart, the title belt used to be but hasn’t been in awhile).

8 hours ago, Jiji said:

I'm very excited for a redemption arc from Kingston though and Pac could be a great foil for him. The jacked up ex-WWE guy with no self doubt but all of the rage vs. the indie wrestler with less than ideal physical tools who just failed and is trying to convince himself that he'll still win because it's all he's got. Yeah, sign me up.

I don't watch BTE, but is this being hinted at? As you frame it, sign me up.

I'm very interested to see where Pac slots in long term. Is he a guy that TK feels can carry the world title? If not, why? Omega, MJF, and Hangman all feel like locks in my eyes over the next two years. Not sure who else is in the picture.

Upper-midcard gatekeeper feels like the level they were settling on with him. Not sure he or I would agree with that placement, but I think it's where they're targeting. 

4 hours ago, Jiji said:

Okay.

better-call-saul-season-3-episode-3-mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Shadow said:

AEW has a unique opportunity to tell a major story about mental health issues with both Hangman and Kingston.

I don't think that's where they will go but I trust their storytelling if they did.

This being wrestling, I have no such trust.

If they are thinking about it, I would advise them to tread lightly. 

I think in this case, "trust" is relative. There are some aspects that I think will be handled authentically, but other aspects where they may not tread so lightly as they need to. At this point, they've earned the, I suppose, trust from me to give it a go, but I get the scepticism. 

Adam chanting "Fuck Hangman!" with them was indeed heartbreaking for the character.  He thinks so little of himself after the loss and the tag celebration that he just doesn't give a shit anymore.  But it was interesting to see that while Dark Order thought he'd be a good fit it was lost on them that he was just mocking himself.  There's more than enough reasons for them to pursue him though and that's what may lead to him finding that sense of self worth again.  So I'm very curious to see how it plays out.

• Like 1

Sad Hangman + Sad Hangman Music gets me right in the feels. I am fully invested in this character, to the point where when he eventually wins the world title I may legitimately get choked up, like when the Terminator puts his thumb up as he's lowered into the pit. And all this is from a backstage comedy skit show the guys put on for shits n gigs. Incredible, really. 

Oh, and hats off to Page because this guy can fucking act. 

Edited by Mr Harms
  • Like 4

Are the people who still dislike the Hangman doubts/hates himself narrative still not on board? I know they can't have "Fuck Hangman!" chanting on TNT (squares!) but that was such an amazing piece of character development that it really needs to have a similar replacement note on tv. 

Andy, there is nothing directly said regarding Kingston and Pac but I think that's where they're going. Kingston is basically cutting babyface promos now but it really does sound like he is trying to convince himself that winning the title is an inevitability not a dream. And it seems obvious to me that a feud with Pac is coming. The contrast in mental and physical states is obvious. Though Pac seemed like he was always deflecting his failures and attributing it to external sources like booking. So really, they're both delusional. I agree that is where they had Pac slotted. Still an improvement on his WWE lot in life but I think he has everything needed to be either champion or at least a perennial contender. I have said this before but I do think the only thing he is missing is a strong connection with the crowd. And that is a big deal and not something easy to figure out. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

I don’t want to go too far down the “The heel is actually the face” rabbit hole that DVDVR sometimes goes down, but is it not arguable that, besides his blood feud with Mox, King has been presented as a good dude?

He saved Blade and Bunny’s marriage! He helped mend his best friend’s relationship with his brother!

• Like 2

Hahahaha, sorry for always couching these statements with, "I really like Meltzer, but..."

But I really like Meltzer, but he's also really, really dumb. If I wasn't bald, I would have pulled my hair out listening to Dave argue with Bryan about heels and faces in AEW. FWIW, I think Alvarez is a 100% correct. Meltzer is still completely convinced Hangman turned heel when he tripped the Bucks and cost them the match and then he turned back face. Alvarez's point, and the correct one, is that Hangman has always been a face and he just made a mistake that he regrets.

Like, Dave doesn't understand nuance at all. He just has zero understanding for it. I had to eventually skip past the conversation because it was so frustrating to listen to.

If any good came from it, it was that it made me think more about heels and faces in AEW and I think they actually do a pretty good job of determining who is a heel a face. Meltzer only thinks Jungle Boy and Darby are the only pure faces in AEW, but that's hardly correct. The Best Friends faction are all faces, Hangman is a face, so are the Bucks (even though they acted like dicks to try to get their groove back), so is Darby, the Jurassic Express faction, Will Hobbs, Moxley, Hobbs, Swoll, Shida, etc. The heels are all pretty clear too. The only people that really straddle the line are Cody, because he basically plays a heel when he needs to, and most of the women's division because they aren't all that well defined.

And I have no idea what happens with Hangman on Wednesday, but it's another example of something from BTE that I wished they saved for Dynamite or that they would re-run on Dynamite. BTE doesn't get that many viewers each week so I don't see the harm in re-running a successful angle from there on Dynamite, but just make it have less of that BTE flavor.

Ultimately, this ends with Kenny turning on the Bucks and joining FTR considering all of the nods to North Carolina in Kenny's entrance. At least that's how I hope this ends.

It's silly and all but one thing that kind of indicates one's general alignment is which tunnel they come out from.  Matt Jackson even hinted on BTE about wanting to go out of the heel tunnel.  And that could also explain to some why Cody gets his OTT entrance in the middle as a way to indicate he straddles the line.  But even if that is all nonsense it's interesting to see what traditional heel/face tropes they use and what they try and do for shades of gray.  It doesn't always work out but when it does it's awesome.

Switching gears a tad I'm incredibly excited about the game(s) announcement airing tonight.  My hope is they announce a mobile game either coming out today or really soon.  If anything it'll be a fun game to tide me over until a console game comes out.

29 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

It's silly and all but one thing that kind of indicates one's general alignment is which tunnel they come out from.  Matt Jackson even hinted on BTE about wanting to go out of the heel tunnel.  And that could also explain to some why Cody gets his OTT entrance in the middle as a way to indicate he straddles the line.  But even if that is all nonsense it's interesting to see what traditional heel/face tropes they use and what they try and do for shades of gray.  It doesn't always work out but when it does it's awesome.

Switching gears a tad I'm incredibly excited about the game(s) announcement airing tonight.  My hope is they announce a mobile game either coming out today or really soon.  If anything it'll be a fun game to tide me over until a console game comes out.

On the games front, there's the traditional wrestling game and, supposedly, a Football Manager/TEW style game, and possibly one more. Whether if that third game winds up being a mobile game or not is anyone's guess.

• Like 1